Do you carry both your books and decks with you?

Amsonia

I was just wondering if when you generally take a deck with you, do you also take along the book that came with it? And if so, do you keep the book and cards together in a single bag or pouch or do you put the cards in a pouch and just keep the book separate? Do you have anything else you take along, like a notebook? Do you have a special bag for all those things or just throw them all in your purse randomly?

I'm just curious.

I keep my decks each in a small pouch apart from the book, and if I want to bring along a book that came with them I just put that in my purse separately. But I have a tendency to want to keep everything organized in bags, so I'm thinking I might get some bags that fit my tarot deck and the book...I don't know. I just got a new deck and book and haven't picked a new bag, so I was wondering what you all do.

dancing_moon

I sometimes carry a deck with me, but I never carry books - I don't have the time to read them anyway, but I do sometimes have a moment to pull a card or two. :D I always carry a Tarot notebook around, but I put it separately from the deck, so that I can take out or switch the deck without disturbing the notebook or forgetting to put it back into the purse.

That's how I do it. :)

RunningWild

I used to carry a backpack around with me everywhere. In it I would always have my netbook, a spiral bound notebook, several pens and at least one deck. Occasionally, I would take along the companion book if there was one.

I've downsized. Now, I always have a deck on me, along with my Kindle, but I rarely bring a notebook unless it's for a new deck that veers greatly from what I already know. Then I might bring it along and glance at a few pages if I have the time. I don't keep the companion books with the decks unless I'm studying them.

ThunderWolf

I just carry a couple copies of the same deck. (Always have to have a back-up!/Personal quirck. LOL)

ivanna

I never carry a book not enough place on my backpack, and also, won't be able to read it during the day. I let them at home, and at night, when I have time to read, then I take all the books I need.

nisaba

I was just wondering if when you generally take a deck with you, do you also take along the book that came with it?
Nope.

If I have the choice, I'll just buy the plain deck, without any accompanying book. I don't buy book-and-deck sets unless there is no deck-only option for that particular one.

I flatter myself that I know Tarot generally well enough that I can pick up any strange deck that I haven't seen before, and read with it straight-off. Books are heavy and bulky. That's what bookshelves at home are for.

Do you have anything else you take along, like a notebook?
Why a notebook? I read in a new-age shop, and if you have back-to-back clients, you don't have time to take notes. And even if you do take notes on client-readings, you'll never ever look at them again, which is a criminal waste of perfectly good writing-paper.

Do you have a special bag for all those things or just throw them all in your purse randomly?
By "purse" I take it you mean "handbag" and not "purse/wallet"?

I actually have a small wheely-suitcase. In it I have two tablecloths, five decks (without books), a bronze rat, a candlestick and some candles, an hourglass (well, a halfhourglass), and assorted other items that I like to have with me when I'm reading publicly.

tarotbear

I actually have a small wheely-suitcase. In it I have two tablecloths, five decks (without books), a bronze rat, a candlestick and some candles, an hourglass (well, a halfhourglass), and assorted other items that I like to have with me when I'm reading publicly.

Ooooo - Nissy! "Port-a-Tarot" !

Not a bad idea, actually, but if you are reading in a shop on a regular basis you should have all the necessaries together in one place.

Back to the original question ~ Amsonia - why do you find it necessary to carry the book with you?

Everyone else ~ why is it necessary to carry more than one deck with you everywhere?

nisaba

Ooooo - Nissy! "Port-a-Tarot" !

Not a bad idea, actually, but if you are reading in a shop on a regular basis you should have all the necessaries together in one place.
Other readers use the room on days when I am not in. The wheelie-bag works quite well - they don't have to bear with my detritus, and I don't have to worry about it disappearing or breaking. :)

Everyone else ~ why is it necessary to carry more than one deck with you everywhere?

It isn't necessary as such. It's just fun. The weight of a Tarot desk is such a trifle - I have a couple in my bag at all times (special ones), and it makes no difference to me except that I know I'm never very far away from the nearest decks.

Kathy123

I usually carry my deck in my purse. Occasionally I will put the companion book and notebook (my tarot journal) in there... my reason is that sometimes (bad me!), I will journal on my computer at work, print it out, and glue it in my notebook (don't tell my boss!). My deck is in a silk drawstring bag. I wouldn't want one bag for my deck and book together, as the books are larger generally, the cards would get all mangled, I like that they fit snuggly in the bag.

My purse also has my "12 Crystal Healers" (recommended by Judy Hall), they are in a silk bag, and I love that they cover the chakras. I generally carry a pendulum and/or sphere or crystal in my pocket as well. Just a bit of insight as to what you will find in my purse :)

I have purchased a backpack as mentioned above, because I like to carry all the journal, deck and occasionally the books with me. Not necessarily for the reason that I will be using them, but rather (like the crystals) I believe tha there is value in carrying them on your person to connect with/pick up energies.

inanna_tarot

I have gone through phases of carrying decks with me. But I find when I go on a trip or see friends and stop over I always feel the need to take a deck with me - even if I dont actually use it.

But I want to get back into my regular tarot time, so I am going to try to take a deck with me whereever I go.

I dont take any books with me, but I always have my filofax with me so I can make a little note as and when :)