Do you grow your own Herbs?

Dancing Bear

Canid your green pepper sounds wonderful
we planted peppers today too!
we planted a yellow pepper , bell peppers, green peppers, and chilli (candle peppers)

I allocated whole area in my vege patch for the peppers.. I love to cook with chilli , so they were a must.. and hubby eats green peppers like apples, so he will be happy..

LOL! Ramona I was only thinking today i am so glad we have moved , as our last house had a bandicoot problem.. The little blighters use to eat anything that was trying to grow.
I hope you come up with a happy medium with you little furry friends..

Maybe a pot for them and a pot for you.. :D
would a cone made of chiken wire work, placed over the top of your pots?

Disa

My bergamot plants are doing very well!!! Our tomatoes and cucumbers are delish, but something keeps eating all of our peppers- does anyone know what to do to keep things from eating the peppers?

Dancing Bear

Hey Disa If its grubs and such eating your peppers.
I actually make up a mix of chilli peppers and garlic.. mix it with water and let it ferment for a good week or two..The stronger the better.
Just say about a whole garlic and two chilli peppers to about 250 ml squirty bottle. crush up the garlic and chilli.. and then pour over warm water.
while you are allowing it to ferment.. give it a shake when you think of it..

then once a week squirt your peppers with it , even your tomatoes would benefit.
It is a great natural insecticide. aphids and mealy bugs hate it!!

canid

Ramona said:
I think what I heard is that if you steal a plant, it'll die, but if someone gives it to you, it'll live. :)

Stevia is great! You don't need much to sweeten anything. Don't use it like sugar; use much less! oh, and no calories...

It's a perennial, so it will stay alive inside all winter if cared for. To make it bushier, simply trim off the top of the shoots to encourage growth on the lower branches. Don't let it flower - cut those off. If it flowers, then it becomes leggy and well, then it wants to die as it has now performed its life duty: grow, flower, produce seeds and die. Funny how plants do that.

Cheers!

So you treat it like any other houseplant. Great! I already bring in my banana, tropical passion flower & hibiscus, aloe vera, pineapple, so what's one more? Thanks!

canid

Dancing Bear said:
LOL! Ramona I was only thinking today i am so glad we have moved , as our last house had a bandicoot problem.. The little blighters use to eat anything that was trying to grow.
I hope you come up with a happy medium with you little furry friends..

OOhh send me some! They're adorable! Would they make good pets?

Disa

Thank you, Dancing Bear! THat's just the sort of info I needed.

celticnoodle

Dancing Bear said:
Hey Disa If its grubs and such eating your peppers.
I actually make up a mix of chilli peppers and garlic.. mix it with water and let it ferment for a good week or two..The stronger the better.
Just say about a whole garlic and two chilli peppers to about 250 ml squirty bottle. crush up the garlic and chilli.. and then pour over warm water.
while you are allowing it to ferment.. give it a shake when you think of it..

then once a week squirt your peppers with it , even your tomatoes would benefit.
It is a great natural insecticide. aphids and mealy bugs hate it!!
as do the japanese beetles.

another easier thing to do, is to buy a head of fresh garlic, and peel it. take one full clove and bury them individually around the plant, by just pushing them through the soil. :) the bugs still cannot stand the smell of the garlic and will leave the plant alone. :D also good for around your roses or other flowering plants that bugs are attacking.

I finally got to the nursery to buy some herbs and veggies. hubby did buy and plant tomatoes, but nothing else. and, i didn't really want to buy any as mid May I headed out for vacation, and then a few days after coming home, it was time to go to Alaska. then, came home sick for a week, and after that, still not feeling well due to allergies. :rolleyes: so, from mid May to the end of June, either gone or sick and not a good time to have to take care of a lot of plants! but, I FINALLY felt good and had time to get plants today!!! woo hoo!!

AND I HIT PAY DIRT! :D

the nursery closest to us had green peppers, hot chili peppers, oregano, basil, thyme, and & lavender and I got them all for $1.00 a six pack. (you know, the small 6pk that they put plants in?) ONLY $1.00!!! and both kinds of peppers are already loaded with fruit!!! they had many other herbs too, but I only purchased the above so far. :)

they also had huge potted tomato plants, also loaded w/fruit for $5.00 each! :bugeyed: but, hubby planted 18 sets already, so we do not need anymore tomatoes! lol!

here, I thought I'd get sickly plants if I was lucky! but, i got gorgeous, healthy plants, loaded with fruit and only a dollar each! :D

after I get these planted, I just may go back for more! WOO HOO!!! :thumbsup:

BlueDragonfly

canid said:
Isn't it an old wives' tale that plants do better if they're a gift or stolen? Nobody ever gives me plants - it's usually the other way around.

The old wives' tale I remember is that you're not supposed to thank the person that gives you a plant.

canid

BlueDragonfly said:
The old wives' tale I remember is that you're not supposed to thank the person that gives you a plant.

Oops.

Dancing Bear

celticnoodle said:
as do the japanese beetles.

another easier thing to do, is to buy a head of fresh garlic, and peel it. take one full clove and bury them individually around the plant, by just pushing them through the soil. :) the bugs still cannot stand the smell of the garlic and will leave the plant alone. :D also good for around your roses or other flowering plants that bugs are attacking.

I finally got to the nursery to buy some herbs and veggies. hubby did buy and plant tomatoes, but nothing else. and, i didn't really want to buy any as mid May I headed out for vacation, and then a few days after coming home, it was time to go to Alaska. then, came home sick for a week, and after that, still not feeling well due to allergies. :rolleyes: so, from mid May to the end of June, either gone or sick and not a good time to have to take care of a lot of plants! but, I FINALLY felt good and had time to get plants today!!! woo hoo!!

AND I HIT PAY DIRT! :D

the nursery closest to us had green peppers, hot chili peppers, oregano, basil, thyme, and & lavender and I got them all for $1.00 a six pack. (you know, the small 6pk that they put plants in?) ONLY $1.00!!! and both kinds of peppers are already loaded with fruit!!! they had many other herbs too, but I only purchased the above so far. :)

they also had huge potted tomato plants, also loaded w/fruit for $5.00 each! :bugeyed: but, hubby planted 18 sets already, so we do not need anymore tomatoes! lol!

here, I thought I'd get sickly plants if I was lucky! but, i got gorgeous, healthy plants, loaded with fruit and only a dollar each! :D

after I get these planted, I just may go back for more! WOO HOO!!! :thumbsup:

CN you sound like you got a bargain girl..
I wish our nurseries sold them that cheap here. :D
Thanks for the tip of garlic cloves in the ground too!! I never knew that.. I will try it around my tomatoes, we also have plants laden with fruit..
more went in yesterday.. as somewhere down south the water system was poisoned and most of the crops that feed Australia were poisoned and killed off.. so the prices are going to go through the roof.. Capsicums and i think cucumbers were also affected.. Such a dreadful thing to do.. apparently its not the first time either its happened.. :( some people have got too many screws loose.

My husband bought me an Arabacia Coffee bush yesterday.. I was so pleased.. Apparently its going to take 2 years before i will get any coffee from it.. But i am patient..Time will fly.
I am still waiting on my tea seeds to sprout.. they also take a while to show their faces.. about an month or so before they wake up.

I just love Gardening.. CN you are also lucky to be able to grow Lavender..
Lavender does not grow here in the tropics.. I do miss it! I was very lucky to get rosemary to grow apparently.. as that doesnt normally like it up here either.. Mine seems to be doing well though.

Happy gardening everyone :D