Do you keep your Tarot doing a secret?

gregory

He is entitled to his beliefs, but his are of restriction, fear, close-mindedness, and suppression while hers is of transformation, openness, and self-expression. I think it's obvious who is vibrating at a higher energetic level here. You can't make those people change, you can only show them a different way and hope that they see the benefit of it, which is what I suggested she do.

I am not a parent, and I don't ever plan on being one for personal reasons. That does not mean that I don't understand the parent/child dynamic. I understand the unconditional love a parent has for their children and the desire to see them do well, but many parents are so stuck in ego mind, believing that everything they know is the Truth, that they will not allow their children to deviate from that path. The role of a parent is to setup their child to become their own true authentic self, and nothing more. Anything beyond that is ego mind, 8, 9, an 10 of swords energy, trying to influence and manipulate. I think it's good that you have recognized areas in which your parents might have been wrong, and I say with absolute respect, there are areas in which you are manipulating your children away from their authentic selves that you don't even realize. We all do this, for we are all products of an ego driven society. None of us will ever be able to break away from the negative aspects of ourselves without a connection to the higher realms, which is one way in which Tarot can help us.
Not everyone who practises tarot is about transformation, openness, and self-expression, or even their higher self. There are egos and rigidities and bullying among the tarot community as well.

But all I would say about this is that understanding the parent child dynamic in theory is a whole lot different from living it. I well recall the day my younger daughter (who has children) said that her whole view of her own childhood had changed now that she knew what it was like to be a parent and how bloody hard it is. She said she understood now what agonising decisions and choices one can have to make. I will be so bold as to say that you cannot fully understand it until you do it. Any other parents here get what I mean ?

I'm not saying the OP's father is right; I am just saying that he is entitled to his POV just as she is. Because he doesn't share hers doesn't make his wrong, just different. And it is desperately unfortunate when the view that tarot is dangerous comes into this - because that is a very genuine belief in many people, and if you truly believe that you will want to protect anyone you love from it. It is a nasty situation to be in, and compromise is far and away the best solution. As in most places on life actually.

Beancrew49

Not everyone who practises tarot is about transformation, openness, and self-expression, or even their higher self. There are egos and rigidities and bullying among the tarot community as well.

But all I would say about this is that understanding the parent child dynamic in theory is a whole lot different from living it. I well recall the day my younger daughter (who has children) said that her whole view of her own childhood had changed now that she knew what it was like to be a parent and how bloody hard it is. She said she understood now what agonising decisions and choices one can have to make. I will be so bold as to say that you cannot fully understand it until you do it. Any other parents here get what I mean ?

I'm not saying the OP's father is right; I am just saying that he is entitled to his POV just as she is. Because he doesn't share hers doesn't make his wrong, just different. And it is desperately unfortunate when the view that tarot is dangerous comes into this - because that is a very genuine belief in many people, and if you truly believe that you will want to protect anyone you love from it. It is a nasty situation to be in, and compromise is far and away the best solution. As in most places on life actually.

No, I understand where you are coming from. Like anything else, you can't truly understand something until you have experienced it, and raising children is probably one of the most unique experiences a human can go through. But I have connected with my higher self, and I have spent a considerable time around people who are raising children, and I have been a child in the parent/child dynamic so I would argue that I do have a unique outside perspective that has merit.

Sometimes when you're in the midst of parenthood you are struggling so hard just to stay above water that you will do whatever it takes to get things done, which oftentimes results in stifling who the child needs to be. In many cases, it's something you almost have to do. But you can't see that unless you take a step back, which I would say is impossible when you have such a strong bond with your children, and such strong programming passed down by your own parents.

The father in this scenario is absolutely entitled to be who he wants to be. What he's not entitled to is forcing someone else to be the same person, even if it is "his" child. If compromise is something the OP wants to do then that is her call. My whole point here is that this is not an area that should be compromised, because she will be compromising who she is, which will be a detriment to this world. Sometimes being yourself is one of the hardest things to do, but that's why it's so damn important. Nothing of value ever comes easily.

euripides

I will be so bold as to say that you cannot fully understand it until you do it. Any other parents here get what I mean ?

This is true. And I would say that this is true of everything in life; I've had a very broad and varied experience of life; I'm supposedly intelligent, am well read, and have a fertile imagination - yet I can quite categorically state that an experience of a thing is never as you imagine it to be.

One can never really walk in another's shoes.

sleepnheat

I have to keep my Tarot secret, unfortunately. My family is super religious and would probably disown me. My wife knows, and absolutely hates it. My disabled mother lives with my wife and I (and 3 kids). And honestly, if she were to find out, j have no doubt I would probably come home one day to find our local pastor sitting in our living room.

Like the others have said, respect your parents wishes as best as you can. It could be worse, you could be 35, like me, and have to hide it in your own home 😯

Sent from my Alcatel_5056O using Tapatalk

Tanga

...Like the others have said, respect your parents wishes as best as you can. It could be worse, you could be 35, like me, and have to hide it in your own home 😯

:heart: :heart:

Barleywine

I have to keep my Tarot secret, unfortunately. My family is super religious and would probably disown me. My wife knows, and absolutely hates it. My disabled mother lives with my wife and I (and 3 kids). And honestly, if she were to find out, j have no doubt I would probably come home one day to find our local pastor sitting in our living room.

Like the others have said, respect your parents wishes as best as you can. It could be worse, you could be 35, like me, and have to hide it in your own home 😯

Sent from my Alcatel_5056O using Tapatalk

You've obviously made your peace with it. Not something I could do, I'm too intolerant of intolerance. :)

JylliM

You've obviously made your peace with it. Not something I could do, I'm too intolerant of intolerance. :)

For some people, me included, it's just a matter of being practical and avoiding conflict. I don't tell my parents, and I'm 46! They're religious, would think I was dabbling in Dark and Dangerous Arts, and be very worried and disapproving. Why confront them with it? It would only create a 'situation'.

Barleywine

For some people, me included, it's just a matter of being practical and avoiding conflict. I don't tell my parents, and I'm 46! They're religious, would think I was dabbling in Dark and Dangerous Arts, and be very worried and disapproving. Why confront them with it? It would only create a 'situation'.

Although it wasn't tarot-related or religious, my mother tried to put me in a "box," so I didn't talk to her much for a long time (couple of years anyway). When I married, my wife brokered a peace of sorts, and grand-children sealed the deal. But, as the saying goes, we had "history" that was always between us.

JylliM

Although it wasn't tarot-related or religious, my mother tried to put me in a "box," so I didn't talk to her much for a long time (couple of years anyway). When I married , my wife brokered a peace of sorts, and grand-children sealed the deal. But, as the saying goes, we had "history" that was always between us.
Yeah, I think cutting myself off would be the only way to be fully open and simultaneously avoid conflict. I don't want to do that, though - it'd a pretty big slap in the face to the people who brought me into the world! I prefer to compromise in this situation.

nisaba

Since I work in a highly technical field though, I keep it under wraps from my colleagues and superiors.

Do I hear the happy tinkle of stereotyping?

My clients have included scientists of various kinds, lawyers, architects, academics, surgeons, engineers ... The best reader I ever knew was a physicist who was also an atheist.