Do you let other people handle your deck?

HeatherRose

I was wondering if other people are "protective" of their decks?
When I first got into tarot and was learning, I was taught to never let other people touch your deck. I was to be the only one to ever shuffle or handle my cards.
Over the years, learning from many other "teachers", and also learning what resonated with me, I changed to letting people shuffle for a reading. When I have a client, I let them shuffle because I believe it puts their energy into the cards, and also, that way they can see that they were the ones to shuffle, so what comes out was not something I "planted" or "rigged".
If I have several readings to do in a row, between clients I may messily put my cards in a pile and move them around to disperse the energy before the next person shuffles. I do always keep them in nice bags, and there is usually some sort of stone or crystal inside it with the deck....some have fluorite, some amethyst, some Herkimer diamonds...it all depends on the deck and how I feel.
And each full moon I put my cards outside (unless it's raining, then I will do the clearest night before or after the full moon), to cleanse them each month.
But I really don't see why some people do not want others to shuffle the cards when they are the querent, so I'm interested to find out why some feel this is how it should be?
I look forward to finding what you all feel about it.

Darkmage

If I'm reading for others I *want* them to shuffle the deck. I only use common decks, like RWS and Aquarian, for public readings as they're easy to replace if damaged.

My rare decks don't leave my home. Others simply don't have the chance to handle them.

ana luisa

I do the shuffling and the fanning. The sitter just picks the cards from the table. The reason I do not let them shuffle has nothing to do with energies. It has to do with clumsiness. 90% of people I read for can't shuffle. They either bend the cards too much or let them all fall on the floor. To me, the energy of the sitter can exist even when reading long distance. It does not need concrete and tangible means to manifest.I also feel that the energy is not really in the cards but in the air. I do not need to cleanse them after a "heavy" reading. But I do cleanse the air :)

Annabelle

If I'm reading for others, then I want them to shuffle and cut the cards.

Now, if I'm showing people the collection, it depends. I have no problem with people gently handling most of my decks. If I'm showing someone a deck that I don't want them to touch, I just keep it in my hands, or say something about how delicate it is, etc.

But I've shown maybe a dozen people my collection over the years? And I've done readings for exactly 2 people this year so far. So the issue doesn't come up much.

Grizabella

I think it's important that the energy of the sitter enter the cards if it's an in-person reading, but I don't always let the sitter shuffle. I let them choose from a fan, though. It all depends on the deck and whether or not the sitter seems like a person who will go about shuffling like they're killing snakes. I can't stand to see people bridge my cards, either, and some people just think that's the coolest thing to do. So I usually shuffle and then let them pick from a fan. I do let them cut the cards, too, though.

VGimlet

I let them shuffle unless they are reading with one of my precioussss decks. :p

Then I have them cut the cards, and I shuffle them, and let them cut again.

Most of the time I only take easily replaceable decks with me when I am doing readings, or them carrying around in my bag.

nisaba

I was wondering if other people are "protective" of their decks?
Absolutely. I am completely and totally protective of my decks.

When I first got into tarot and was learning, I was taught to never let other people touch your deck. I was to be the only one to ever shuffle or handle my cards.
That's up there with "only ever wrap them in raw silk" and "your readings won't work unless you are facing east". You can do them if you want, but your deck will work just fine not doing it.

Over the years, learning from many other "teachers", and also learning what resonated with me, I changed to letting people shuffle for a reading. When I have a client, I let them shuffle because I believe it puts their energy into the cards, and also, that way they can see that they were the ones to shuffle, so what comes out was not something I "planted" or "rigged".
Exactly. And if I shuffle, how can I possibly know if they are shuffled enough (or two much) for the client in front of me, whom I probably met thirty seconds beforehand? They shuffle until they feel like stopping, they put the deck in the order it ends up in, I merely draw the cards from the top and read them. Otherwise, I'd be reading a deck that I had ordered, so it would read for me.

If I have several readings to do in a row, between clients I may messily put my cards in a pile and move them around to disperse the energy before the next person shuffles.
I always have a few of my decks with me. I take a break or a minute or so between clients on the occasion where I might have back-to-back clients, and briefly shuffle. If a few people in a day choose the same deck and it starts to feel "hot" to me, I'll just quietly remove it from the table and let subsequent clients choose from what's left. After they've rested in the bag for an hour or two, they're good to go again without any attention being paid to them and without any "cleansing" happening.

I do always keep them in nice bags, and there is usually some sort of stone or crystal inside it with the deck....some have fluorite, some amethyst, some Herkimer diamonds...it all depends on the deck and how I feel.
Some of my decks are in bags, others are wrapped in silks, others are in original packaging. They all work equally well - for me the bags and silks are cosmetic. :) I don't put stones in with them because it's such a shame to have stones hidden away from the light, and also I don't want any edges on the stones to scratch, dent or bend the cards.

And each full moon I put my cards outside (unless it's raining, then I will do the clearest night before or after the full moon), to cleanse them each month.
A few seconds' shuffle after I've finished cleanses them. I wouldn't want their accumulated wisdom and their attachment to me cleansed away.

But I really don't see why some people do not want others to shuffle the cards when they are the querent, so I'm interested to find out why some feel this is how it should be?
I look forward to finding what you all feel about it.
I believe that some people genuinely believe that their ongoing, continuous relationship with a deck that they handle all the time, is so fragile that it can be completely destroyed by someone touching it for a few seconds. I feel so sad for people who are so insecure as to believe that, but I respect their belief and wouldn't touch their decks.

Me, I allow people to touch them not only to have readings, but just to look at them and enjoy them. All I ask is that when I first get a deck, I'm the first person to actually shuffle it. :)

Richard

Nope. Very few people can handle my cards. However, guess what :?: (I must insert the mandatory AT disclaimer): If other readers want to let querents handle their cards, that is perfectly alright. I promise not to stop you from doing that. :D

nisaba

<laughter>

Barleywine

I expect sitters to shuffle and cut the cards, and I generally read only with my well-worn Thoth (and now with my new Gilded Reverie Lenormand). I draw the line at bridging, though. If they start, I politely ask them to shuffle overhand, with some explanation (excuse?) that the cards crease or dog-ear easily. Some decks like the Gilded Reverie are so stiff it doesn't work well with them anyway. My rarer or more expensive decks are never handled by others.