• No, never

Votes: 131 33.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 115 29.3%
  • Not yet (still learning)

Votes: 44 11.2%

• Total voters

kimchi

No, it just makes a mess of things for me. There's such a wide range of meaning in the upright cards that I don't feel the need for reversals. Maybe I'll feel differently in the future...

franniee

no I learned on the mythic and I see both the pos and the neg and I read them that way, I never understood reading the casrds reversed - I figure by the placement and cards around them if it is good or bad so to speak....

clarity

I use reversals. Its been like that from the very beginning so it was definitely harder to learn the card meanings because it doubled and quadrupled everything. But since then, I have tried using all uprights but I'm not comfortable with that.
Many times I pull a one card or two card reading so I can't really look to surrounding cards for clarification as to whether the card's energy is fully/normally expressed or not. I can use my intuition or just consider the full spectrum of meaning and have, but using reversals gives me the answer right there.

bigcaat

I've been reading for almost 35 years. I have never used reversals. My opinion is that if there is something negative in the situation, I will feel it in the card when I read it, whether it is upside down or not. The cards are just a guide for me, my reading comes from my intuition simply prompted by the cards.

Caat

Gavriela

Almost never use reversals, because I like dignities better. But there is a seven-card yes/no spread I use that needs reversals, and there are those times when even if you keep the cards upright, sometimes one turns up reversed in a reading, so I pay extra attention if that happens.

My mini RWS has the cards mixed both ways, and I keep the cards in the regular size RWS is upright. If I need the yes/no spread, I grab the mini.

MysticalMoose

As a rule No I dont use reversals, Ive always felt better reading the pos & neg in a card depending on how it feels . however.... very occasionally a card pops out "mysteriously" reversed....in that case I will take it that maybe something is especially highlighted & should be taken more notice of.

Noemi

Sometimes I can read reversed card as not reversed - it depends on my feelings about it.
But in general I use reversals - I have no enough experience with Tarot, so I think using reversals is an easier way to read the cards.

Rose Lalonde

10 years later...

Out of curiosity I looked for a poll of how many do or don't read reversals and came up with this thread from 10 years ago. At the moment, it shows more never, than always, but with sometimes responses, reversal readers were at 57%.
(I don't read them, myself.)

Barleywine

This thread could be useful for novice members trying to decide. There were no "Almost Always" or "Most of the Time" categories so I chose "Sometimes," which appears to be within striking distance of the lead right now. Some decks were intended by their creators not to be used with reversals, so I don't, and of course I don't in Lenormand readings. But in general I find they add quite a bit of subtlety to my readings, and I use them in parallel with Elemental Dignities but for a slightly different purpose.

celticnoodle

Out of curiosity I looked for a poll of how many do or don't read reversals and came up with this thread from 10 years ago. At the moment, it shows more never, than always, but with sometimes responses, reversal readers were at 57%.
(I don't read them, myself.)
actually--this thread was started in 2002! So, its even OLDER then 10 yrs. Must have been one of the first polls ever here, as I believe this site began about 2002, didn't it?? :)

This thread could be useful for novice members trying to decide. There were no "Almost Always" or "Most of the Time" categories so I chose "Sometimes," which appears to be closing in on the lead right now. Some decks were intended by their creators not to be used with reversals, so I don't, and of course I don't in Lenormand readings. But in general I find they add quite a bit of subtlety to my readings, and I use them in parallel with Elemental Dignities but for a slightly different purpose.

and I voted all the time. I never check my decks to make sure all the cards are right side up and not in the reversed position. Though it reminds me of the time that a customer came to my home here in NY to have her cards read and I left her to shuffle the deck thoroughly while I quickly ran to finish up a chore. Came back, took the deck and began to lay the cards out for her.

I remarked how it was interesting that all the cards were upright as I turned them over and she got very alarmed, because while she was alone--she also checked and put ALL the cards in the same position--upright! :D

Still makes me laugh thinking of that. Of course, I told her that since she felt inclined to do this--it was the way the cards were meant to be!

And yes, thank you, Rose Lalonde, for bringing this up again and making it available for us to see how the majority reads. I was a bit surprised to see that the "Yes, Always" was as low as it is. Interesting!