Do your decks have different "personalities" ?

Marie-Bernard

For years I've thought of my Universal Waite as my Joe Friday deck - "Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts," while my cute little Tarot Nova is more like a dopey hippy - "Let those bad vibes slide right off, Man, look at this righteous Outcome."

Lately I've been using my Smith Waite and Golden Tarot for personal readings, too, and while "Pam" is friendly and loving, the Kat Black deck is full of doom and gloom. Betrayal is all around me; hard times; hard work; and the card that I, in the past, used as my significator comes up as the source of problems if the deck can possibly work it in. (That's happened in 3 spreads over the past couple of weeks.) I'm starting to think of this as my "Eeyore" deck.

Does anyone else notice differences like this?

Reina de Copas

Right on! Osho zen tarot = 'oh, it's all just fine, just a PROCESS darling'
RW= 'no time for pussy footing about Chica, here's the deal and if you don't like it go cry to someone else'
Botticelli = 'we're all terribly serious and you may need to inject wine after this'
Mythic Tarot= 'no hard questions please, I'm blonde'
And my old fave... Gilded tarot: = 'I know you and all your neuroses.. And I am all about love, baby'.
I never use the Botticelli for love, it feels way too austere. RW I like for work. Gilded is definitely my luuuurrrrvvvee deck and Osho is for PMT days!!
Great thread, I really relate to this.

angeltreats

I'm not a good enough reader to pick up on the personalities of all my decks, but some do stand out. Anna K is always kind, but sometimes answers a question other than the one that was asked (like "yes but look, this is more important, you should listen up"). Housewives is snarky and to the point (but not unkind). Morgan Greer is very literal and to the point and doesn't fluff up its answers, it feels resolutely male to me. Bonefire is hyperactive and wants to tell me lots of things all at once -its personality is very close to my own which is kinda weird.

The others I am still getting to know their personalities.

Ahh I forgot - my beloved Spanish Tarot is just plain eccentric! I am only learning to read it despite having had it for years, but all those crazy looking people like to give somewhat odd answers at times.

Marlo

I also allocate different personalities to my decks. It mainly depends on the way i see them and what impressions they give off.

I think the pictures on the cards, the art, our tastes and our experiences all combined, are the main factors in the process of "personification" of our tarots.

But, for all my readings, i only use the RWS because it is the only one i find the most versatile.

Marie-Bernard

I never use the Botticelli for love, it feels way too austere.

I feel similarly about the Kat Black Golden; the artwork gives it a very serious feeling. I tend to associate the images with familiar Catholic iconography so, for me, it will probably never lend itself to a lighter or friendlier interpretation.

tarotlaura

My Fenestra deck certainly does. Every time I use it it has that homey, trusting feeling to it that I just love. My Shadowscapes has a very feminine quality to it. Where as my Deviant Moon is brazen and it likes to bring shadows and secrets to light. I know some will disagree that they are just pieces of paper but to me each and every deck I own has a unique personality.

Laura

Padma

Yes, my decks definitely all have their own vibe and personality! I think a lot of that is the voice or personality of the author/artist who created it...and then there is the humorous and sometimes cheeky voice of the tarot spirit speaking, as well!

Daniloff - "sit tight, about to shine a big light on everything, and you won't miss the meaning!"
Prague - "Come over for a cuppa, and we will talk - but mostly about me, dearie! Let someone know where you are...I can be unpredictable!"
Fantastic Menagerie - "Let's talk and talk and talk! And then this happens, and then that! Oh and here is some more - want to go watch a play? Hey, let's go look at the giraffes!" (ADD deck!)
Golden - "Cue the canticles and the chants, we're going to church!"
Hidden Realms - "Look deeply into my eyes...deeply...."
Gummy Bears - Hahaha! None of this matters, silly!"
Housewives - "And then Sally said...and then *I* said..."

Just a few of the voices of the paper people I live with :)

Marie-Bernard

I know some will disagree that they are just pieces of paper but to me each and every deck I own has a unique personality.

Laura

I don't feel badly at all about giving them nicknames or quasi-personifying them. My dad has several classic and antique cars and they all have lady-names and their own unique ways. I'd like to see someone tell HIM, "You know Sweet Betsy's just a hunk of metal, right?" :D

greatdane

My decks don't have different personalities. Different decks bring out different aspects of MY personality :).

celticnoodle

hmmm..not sure after reading GreatDanes post. is it that my decks do have their own personalities or is it that each of them bring out the different aspects of my own personality? *shrugs* I don't know now! But, before her post, I would have said most definitely they each have their own personality!

The Frouds Fairies are very mischievous to be sure. Other decks I have also have their personalities - such as my Golden Tarot by Kat Black. That one is a bit serious and quiet overall. A good reading deck--but definitely more of a serious nature to it. The Hanson Roberts is playful and fun. the Robin Wood is one I use often. Its like having a good friend. Its very direct with its answers for the most part, but in a gentle way for heavy issues.

The Konxari deck is like that misunderstood Punk Rocker teenager. Everyone takes one look at it and immediately places judgment on the deck and deem it not worthy of any respect. Many won't even buy it as they feel it is too dark. I was one of those people myself in the beginning. I had no desire to own it. But, I ended up with the deck through a multi-deck purchase. So, I did pull it out and saw that it was not really a bad deck at all and it did give some good readings. I admit, I don't use it much at all for readings and never use it for clients readings, as it is so misunderstood and disliked at first look.

I have many more decks but I have not used them much in awhile, so I can't really comment on their personalities anymore at this point. I do love all my decks though. :)