Dropped Cards

Wjmarty

Hi

I'm new to the forum & tarot cards. I have two sets of US games Thoth cards, one playing card size pack for "daily use" (reading for myself & getting to know the cards) and a full size set that I will use when I start to read for others.

As I am just getting to know my cards I am at the moment just pulling a "card of the day" and I was wondering if there is any significance to dropped cards.

Does a dropped card want to draw your attention to it, does it not want to be picked, or am I just a clumsy oaf?

I suspect as with a lot of intuitive work it depends on the person using the cards, just wondered what the thoughts of more experienced readers are.

PAMUYA

Welcome to AT!

Dropped cards, you are going to get a whole spectrum of answers. It will boil down to your personal preference.

I have RA, rheumatoid arthritis. I drop cards all the time. If they are not drawn, I do not use them for the reading. Dropped cards are put back into the deck. This is what I do. It is not wrong or right.

Best of luck to you and welcome.

TheProphet

Welcome! I am also new here.

I tend to put dropped cards, "jumpers", back in the deck and keep on shuffling. Sometimes I have very forceful jumpers (a single card) that will land on my chest. I pay attention to it, but I always put it back in the deck. Those lil' buggers tend to show up in the reading anyways :D Do whatever feels instinctively right for you ;)

angeltreats

I tend to put them back. Very occasionally I feel like one really wants to be seen (happened in a reading yesterday) and I'll have a look and see what it wants to say but more often I just put them back.

Grizabella

I drop cards all the time but it's just a fumble on my part. If I gave them any other significance, I'd say the cards "jumped out" so they wouldn't have a possibility of being drawn for the reading.

Give them significance if you want, but I don't pay any attention to them.

pandap

I too think it's personal preference. I decided not to take any notice of dropped cards when I first started learning. I suffer arthritis and tend to drop cards frequently (especially first up in the morning when I try to shuffle) plus I figure that if the card was important, it would make itself known in the draw anyway. :)

DoctorLecter84

Since I rarely fumble cards, it makes me think that dropped cards -- aka jumpers are like "You just recieved a message from the Universe, God, etc." Like not so long ago, I was attempting a reading and the 2 of Cups dropped before I even got the opportunity to ask my question which made me feel like the Universe/God (if that's what you believe) knew what I was preparing to ask and immediately gave me His answer. And just for a follow up, I've asked that exact same question in a reading exchange and the reading was in correlation with my own results.

Or sometimes, if I feel there is more the Universe is trying to tell me...I'd throw at least one to two more cards and put the dropper above the spread as a kind of overseer/significator that gives extra information on the reading.

Now, if I have anything over three cards dropping, I take note of them and put them back in the deck before I restart shuffling. Rather or not they reappear in the reading will help me determine rather or not they were of great importance or merely a botched shuffle. I strongly feel that if the card was important, it would make itself known in the throw anyway.

Darkmage

It depends. I get jumpers from time to time. If they land face-down, I put them back in the deck and shuffle again. If they land face-up, then that's a message that requires extra attention.

cSpaceDiva

I personally do not place any significance on dropped cards. But since you are new, I would suggest that when this happens you make a note of which card it was, then return it to the deck and continue. Watch for that card to show up either in the reading, or to have some other significance in the next day or two. After this has happened several times, you should get a feeling for whether these cards have any importance to you.

Just wanted to add that another option would be if you find the dropped card helpful, then use it. If it makes things more confusing, don't.