Druidcraft: To book or not to book?

feynrir

Hi all!

I have finally decided that I'll probably get the Druidcraft, one way or another, and I have two questions.

1. I am an intermediate tarot reader. Do I need the full-size companion book with the deck?

I had the Wildwood Tarot at one point (traded it largely because of that damn disgusting cardstock), and I thought the book was actually pretty necessary due to the animal Courts and the general specificity of the authors' intended system. It seems that the Druidcraft is more "beginner-friendly," and corresponds pretty well to the RWS system. So on a related note, would the companion book be something like the Wildwood (very specific and necessary for the full experience), or would it be extraneous for an intermediate tarot student?

2. My second question is about the cardstock. Please be honest and tell me if it's like the Wildwood. From what I've gathered, it is a bit rougher like the Wildwood, but it supposedly has a matte finish and is not as cardboardlike.

Any help on this very much appreciated, thank you!

magpie9

Ummmm....I think the book is necessary. I could be wrong...but it's been a big help to me on the non obvious cards. Cardstock. It's ok. Nothing special one way or the other. Great Courts. Worth having for that alone. Big cards, BUT trim down well.

Eyebright

I think the deck is close enough to RWS for the most part to read the deck without the book, it's definitely easier to read with right out the box than the Wildwood was for me.

That being said, I think the book is a fantastic resource and really helps to dig deeper into the cards, and show where the creators are going with each card. So if you are able I really would get the book to go along side the deck. It will really help bring it to life for you, and make the deck shine.

I like the cardstock, it's nicer IMHO than the Wildwood; doesn't make that grating sound when you shuffle the cards. Though as Magpie said the cards are on the large size, so this is a factor if you have small hands and don't trim! Having said that my copy of the deck is a few years old now, so I don't know if newer printings have the same cardstock or not...

Hope that helps a little bit :D

RavenLuna

I also think the book is important. I got the deck that comes with a little brown book with sepia scans, instead of a LWB. It's helpful, but it doesn't tell you where the cards depict. I bought the app which has the book with it, and that tells you the god/desses, time of year shown, the landscape etc.

So for The Sun card, you have the same child pictured in Rebirth (Judgement), both at New Grange but at different times of the year. The LBB doesn't tell you this information, and if you don't know what New Grange looks like, you'd have no idea that it was the same place.

Re: cardstock, it seems pretty much the same as the Wildwood :/ Both are made by Connections. I don't know if the old-style large boxed sets were different cardstock. I don't personally mind either the Wildwood or Druidcraft cards, the only downside for me is that they get scuffed on the backs.

Le Fanu

But you can't get it deck only anyway so it's a moot point.

The non-kit edition comes with a mini/pocket version of the book. If it isn't the complete book, I seem to remember it being extremely extensive - i.e it had in-depth meanings of the cards with symbolism and all the Celtic info per card that the big book has. It isn't a booklet or LWB it is a little book with a spine!

Chrystella

As Le Fanu mentioned, I think it comes with the book if you get it new, but I know sometimes we can pick decks up without books if we get them secondhand. The DruidCraft is RWS-based so if you're comfortable with that, you can probably get by without the book. A handful of cards (such as the Seven of Swords) are different, but I think you could intuit the meaning by examining the images. If you're familiar with Druidic and other Pagan themes and symbols, you'll definitely be fine. If not, the book is helpful, but not essential to using the deck.

I've never had the Wildwood so I can't compare. I find the cardstock of the DruidCraft quite good.

Madrigal

Do you have a smart phone? The entire book is included in the app which is about $4.00. Fool's Dog sells it.

feynrir

But you can't get it deck only anyway so it's a moot point.

The non-kit edition comes with a mini/pocket version of the book. If it isn't the complete book, I seem to remember it being extremely extensive - i.e it had in-depth meanings of the cards with symbolism and all the Celtic info per card that the big book has. It isn't a booklet or LWB it is a little book with a spine!

[...] If you're familiar with Druidic and other Pagan themes and symbols, you'll definitely be fine. If not, the book is helpful, but not essential to using the deck.

I've never had the Wildwood so I can't compare. I find the cardstock of the DruidCraft quite good.
Thank you very much! Everyone has been helpful. I definitely thought that the "smaller version" of the book was your basic RWSish LWB. Now that I know it isn't, I'm even more sold on the less expensive set.

And yeah, as for the cardstock, I'm anxiously awaiting to make a judgment on that. Even if it was as cardboardy as the Wildwood, perhaps the infamous size of the deck will lend a different feel to the experience that I'll enjoy. Thanks again everyone!

LisaTiffany

I like the book and always find it very informative, it goes into some great detail and it feels very well thought out and well written. The card stock is nice and doesn't feel weak or prone to damage. My only issue is in my own hands the cards are tricky to shuffle, and that's just down to the size. The artwork is so beautiful though and I've always had very good accuracy with it.

swimming in tarot

I concur with Eyebright, Chrystella, and LisaTiffany. I have both the Wildwood and the DruidCraft, but the DC is the one that I connect with. The book (it's a proper book, not a pamphlet), is comprehensive and helpful, though not absolutely necessary if you have a pagan background--but it does round out one's understanding of where the author and artist are coming from. The cardstock is holding up well, though the backs are getting honourably scuffed through use. The cardstock seems a smidge thicker than the Wildwood's. It gives me good readings, sometimes scarily good. Although the Wildwood is also illustrated by Will Worthington, the ink and wash doesn't work for me, and the book is, for me, barely comprehensible--maybe in how it's written, or too out in the ether for my earthbound understanding. I can't speak to the durability of the Wildwood cardstock, because I've barely used the deck.