Tarot of Delphi Users?

Madrigal

I read through the original ToD thread and since it's been a while I wondered if anyone would care to share how this deck reads. There was some mention of possible 'sameness' in relation to the type of images chosen. Is this an issue for folks? Preponderance of lovely female imagery, does that affect your reading, is it too dreamy?

But mainly, how does this deck work for you? Clear? Too complex? Too veiled? Some of the cards I've seen don't sit quite right but then I haven't seen the deck in its entirety so I'm seeing things out of context. I'm very close to clicking submit but would love some feedback from those who are using this deck.

TsukiSei

This deck reads for me very story-like. Meaning it's very rich. I definitely need the LWB to help with readings since a lot of the cards have stories attached to the artwork used, but they match the card meaning, so it just gives it that much more depth for me.

I really like it and I'm glad I got it.

gregory

I've only used it once, but I found it easy, and my sitter was blown away by what I got.

Madrigal

I've only used it once, but I found it easy, and my sitter was blown away by what I got.

gregory, is there a reason you've only used it once? Too many decks to choose from or you're not drawn to it? Or?

Shade

I love the deck. I use if for the more psychological, personal mythology types of readings rather than predictive ones. The companion book is very good and the first few times you read with the deck you will want to get a better sense of who each of the figures in the cards is.

It's gorgeous

Madrigal

This deck reads for me very story-like. Meaning it's very rich. I definitely need the LWB to help with readings since a lot of the cards have stories attached to the artwork used, but they match the card meaning, so it just gives it that much more depth for me.

I really like it and I'm glad I got it.

Good to know about the need for the LWB. I think I've read that on a few sites.

I love the deck. I use if for the more psychological, personal mythology types of readings rather than predictive ones. The companion book is very good and the first few times you read with the deck you will want to get a better sense of who each of the figures in the cards is.

It's gorgeous

Yes, it's gorgeous and the way you are using it is one of the ways I envisioned using it to start with. I've got a number of decks for that purpose though so it would be nice to become familiar enough with the ToD to be able to use it to read for others. The stories she's drawn from are naturally part of our own western mytho-poetics and I imagine the readings could be quite rich and resonant particularly if the sitter is a female as the majority of the images seem to be women.

Shade

One thing that comes from having a deck using pre-existing art is that (I feel) it's less important to hem and haw about what every single symbol on the card means because in most cases they aren't coded esoteric messages.

You can of course, look at the cup in Circe's hand in the Justice card and think about other archetypal cups in history but the reason its there is that in the myth she has a cup with a magic potion in it and not because of its Kabbalistic significance.

gregory

gregory, is there a reason you've only used it once? Too many decks to choose from or you're not drawn to it? Or?
I'm not reading that much at the moment, and people tend to ask for the deck they want me to use !!

Madrigal

One thing that comes from having a deck using pre-existing art is that (I feel) it's less important to hem and haw about what every single symbol on the card means because in most cases they aren't coded esoteric messages.

You can of course, look at the cup in Circe's hand in the Justice card and think about other archetypal cups in history but the reason its there is that in the myth she has a cup with a magic potion in it and not because of its Kabbalistic significance.

Shade, do you feel that's a detraction when reading with this deck or a way of expanding on the card's meaning?

Shade

No I think it's great, it means that when I'm investigating a card I'm doing so from an art history perspective and not some forgotten form of astrology.