Dual Meaning Cards

Ronia

It is consistent but the difficulty for readers comes from its versatility, IMHO. In my spreads it has signified recognition but never for me. For me it's almost 100% of the time romance and emotion. Here comes the importance of the surrounding cards again and, of course, time. With time everyone knows how the cards play in their own spreads. :)

Ronia

That's what makes the Moon challenging, that it somehow reflects (just like in nature it reflects the sun) the attitude of the reader (or querent). That's what I've seen with this card and it always makes me work hard to decipher it.

alyna

Say you had a 3x3,

BCD
EAF
GHI

Therefore, A is potentially:
A = A(B + C + D + E + F + G + H + I) or
AB + AC + AD + AE + AF + AG + AH + AI

B = B (A + C + E) or
BA + BC + BE

Etc, etc. And those are only flanking cards...

If you decided to mirror something say... B & D, then BD, if you decide to knight I, then you can only knight with C and E, so I = I (C + E) --> IC and IE. I'm using the math here for those that enjoy math... It might help them understand what is happening. So yes, to answer your question, the combinations are valid...

The problem in using all this math is that you can over do it. It's just a subjective exercise to get your intuition to understand what the story is, you might get a clear enough message by reading less cards, and not have to resort to all the possibilities.

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you LE

It did make sense but are you suggesting that we read the rows and columns individually only, and not mix BC + BA +BE?
Don't they give some extra information?

and you are right, we can always get what i call "overwhelmed" :D

Carla

Thanks Andy, Ronia and Halil (and IHeartTarot) for your input about Moon!

Teheuti

Yes, thank you. I appreciate hearing the different perspectives.

lord_ewin

Thank you LE

It did make sense but are you suggesting that we read the rows and columns individually only, and not mix BC + BA +BE?
Don't they give some extra information?

and you are right, we can always get what i call "overwhelmed" :D

My point was that no matter what cards you read, the flanking cards influence them. So in reading card B, youc ould consider the influences of A, C, & E. In reading card another card, you'd get similar combinations. If you were reading column BEG, you could read BE - EG... There are several possibilities.

IheartTarot

It is quite a consistent card in all the traditions isn't it? I only know of Sylvie who doesn't use it for that, as she apparently has moved those meanings to the Stars.

Sylvie does use The Moon for fame, I quote: "The symbol pairs itself with fame, reputation and the world of celebrities." Sylvie relates The Stars with destiny (and talent): "The star also forecasts fame and reputation that one may be blessed with."

andybc

Sylvie does use The Moon for fame, I quote: "The symbol pairs itself with fame, reputation and the world of celebrities." Sylvie relates The Stars with destiny (and talent): "The star also forecasts fame and reputation that one may be blessed with."

Thank you IheartTarot. I don't have Sylvie's book now, so I was just going on what someone said to me on my blog.