Elemental Dignities Study Group Discussion & Index Thread

rwcarter

So, with ED's you don't have a reversed meaning, you just have a weakend menaning, it sounds and feels much better because the card is not taken to it's extreme,
As with most things, I wouldn't say that I'd never see an ill-dignified card as having a reversed meaning. In the cases we've been talking about, there is one friendly and one unfriendly or neutral card. Generally, I don't think that's enough to cause a reversed meaning, but I'm sure there are combinations that might make me think of the reversed meaning first. But if both flanking cards were unfriendly, that combination might be strong enough to trigger a reversed interpretation.

what if it was F/A/W?
what does W to A? since it spends its time fighting with F? and its W's role if the F is blowing the A of the ground?is it just the reflection? a total passiveness from that card, it just mades an appearance? :)
Again, traditional GD rules say that the F and W cancel each other out. They also say that neutral interactions become friendly.

The way I read I leave neutral interactions neutral and let the two cards tell me whether their interaction is friendly, unfriendly or neutral. And as I've already said, I don't believe in cards canceling each other out. So with FAW, the F would be strengthening the air (heating and agitating it) while the W's interaction would depend on the specific A and W cards.

Xrysalida said:
just to add: thank you both, it's nice that there two different approaches to see.
I wish more folks would post the way they use EDs. I never meant to set myself up as the authority on EDs (and I'm not, by a long shot), but having posted the most on the subject in the last few years, I feel like I've fallen into that role....

Rodney

Xrysalida

As with most things, I wouldn't say that I'd never see an ill-dignified card as having a reversed meaning. In the cases we've been talking about, there is one friendly and one unfriendly or neutral card. Generally, I don't think that's enough to cause a reversed meaning, but I'm sure there are combinations that might make me think of the reversed meaning first. But if both flanking cards were unfriendly, that combination might be strong enough to trigger a reversed interpretation.
I understand yes, when the 2 flanking cards where the same element and ill to the center.

Again, traditional GD rules say that the F and W cancel each other out. They also say that neutral interactions become friendly.

The way I read I leave neutral interactions neutral and let the two cards tell me whether their interaction is friendly, unfriendly or neutral. And as I've already said, I don't believe in cards canceling each other out. So with FAW, the F would be strengthening the air (heating and agitating it) while the W's interaction would depend on the specific A and W cards.
I think that the next step is to work it with examples, I will post it when I find the next one.
I wish more folks would post the way they use EDs. I never meant to set myself up as the authority on EDs (and I'm not, by a long shot), but having posted the most on the subject in the last few years, I feel like I've fallen into that role....

Rodney
oh man...wait for me till I get an expert in ED's and I ll help you :D

laurence

Hi there!

What if in a triad we got : cups+cups+ Emperor

Emperor is fire but there are 2 cups so they are dominant. However Emperor is a major one.

Can we consider as being neutral to each other in this case?

Thanks.

rwcarter

When using EDs, I don't give Majors extra weight over Minors - A Fire Major carries the same weight as a Fire Minor. So in WWF, Fire slightly dims the "power" of the central W while the flanking W strengthens the central W. So the two W cards are enough to overpower the F card. So the central W is strong.

And in WFW, the central F would be weakened on both sides by the W. Although depending on what the specific cards were the F might be like a candle floating in water.

laurence

When using EDs, I don't give Majors extra weight over Minors - A Fire Major carries the same weight as a Fire Minor. So in WWF, Fire slightly dims the "power" of the central W while the flanking W strengthens the central W. So the two W cards are enough to overpower the F card. So the central W is strong.

And in WFW, the central F would be weakened on both sides by the W. Although depending on what the specific cards were the F might be like a candle floating in water.

I think I get It now. Sorry for making you repeat things over and over again.

My exemple is: Will he be offered this job? RW 2 of cups*Ace of cups*Emperor

2 of cups can indicate the job interview, the meeting of 2 minds.
Ace of cups has a strong aspect here as It's in the middle and reinforced by the other water card. So let's say that the ace of cups represents the job offer.
Emperor can weaken the central Ace but not enough due to the water flanking card.
So here the Emperor may indicate a fragile solidity of this job or a good stability but not to the point of being in control like the typical archetype representation of the Emperor.

I mean that the Emperor is not negative here, It's just a bit weakened??,

rwcarter

Happy to repeat things over again until they sink in. :)

We shouldn't discuss specific complete readings here in UTC, but the way I read EDs, the central card is the most important card. It is interpreted considering its interactions with the two flanking cards, which in and of themselves aren't important. It's not that either flanking card is strengthened or weakened, but that they strengthen or weaken the central card - the central card is the star, while the flanking cards are supporting actors.

So, without giving interpretations, the way I use EDs, the AC is strengthened by the 2C and weakened somewhat by the Emperor. If you want to post the reading over in Your Readings and link to it here, I'd be happy to provide an interpretation.

Rodney

laurence

It's not that either flanking card is strengthened or weakened, but that they strengthen or weaken the central card - the central card is the star, while the flanking cards are supporting actors.

Rodney

I understand more with comparisons and methaphores. Thanks
I've posted the reading in Your Readings.

rwcarter

I understand more with comparisons and methaphores. Thanks
I've posted the reading in Your Readings.
The reading can be found here. I've already posted a reply to it.

Rodney