Equal vs unequal houses

truthsayer

Re: Wow Truth! What a fascinating interpretation!

Pollux said:
But, actually I couldn't follow the discussion about descendant/rising... Aren't they on the same axis? How can they be in Aries and Leo respectively? Isn't the Rising the point to the horizont that is coming up in the moment you've born? I think I'll have to read it again, more carefully... not today - got my Biology textbooks calling me :p
i think you got confused where i was talking about my chart and then i switched to autumnmoon's chart. as far as i know you can't have aries and leo on the same axis. it would have to be aries/libra or leo/aquarius, etc. you don't have to have all 12 zodiac signs on all 12 house cusps. if you have 2 intercepted signs then you'll only have 10 different signs on the house cusps. if i remember my chart correctly i have 2 house cusps in cancer and 2 in capricorn. this covers the houses that otherwise would have been on the intercepted signs. this is at least how i was taught and learned.
please disregard that explanation above. i have had to edited everything i said in this thread b/c of twisiting something right ideas the wrong way. so pollux i owe you an apology. i was the one mixed up not you.

AutumnMoonfire

I am actually rather confused by what Aquarian Goddess just said. I would expect a chart drawn as ridgedly as this is to go like she just said...
Aquarius 12 on the cusp of the first house, pisces 12 on the 2nd and Aries 12 on the 3rd. This chart has the house cusps as regular as regular can be. like clock numbers in the spacing, but the cusp signs do not match up. it is version 2.2 by the way. It's old, but it had been serving my needs. I am not going to spend on a more up to date one until I know what I need or want to buy. Truthsayer, if you'd like to PM me I can give you my e-mail address, I do thank you sincerely for your efforts, it can be wicked hard to analyze your own chart, you get hung up on all the wrong stuff. I thank the rest of you too, for helping me as well

Minderwiz

Without a look at your chart I cannot be definite in this reply but AstroDeluxe Reportwriter shows its charts as apparantly equally spaced Houses, whatever House system is used.

The only visible difference when using, say Placidus, instead of Equal House is that the sign and degree on the cusps (marked in the surrounding circle) show that the Houses are not equal in terms of Zodiac longitude. Thus you may think you are using Equal Houses when in fact you are not. On my version (6.0) it does say in the top right corner what the House system and Zodiac (tropical or sidereal) is being used.

If your version is similar to mine you can also check (and change) the House system by going to the Natal Information screen and clicking on the Customisation Menu. This should give you House System as the first option. Select this from the menu and then check the system you want to use.

If you want to see the chart in the 'unequal' type of display common to European horoscopes display the chart and then select the Display menu option and Graphic Aspects from that menu.

Hope this helps

Minderwiz

AquarianGoddess

Autumn,

I've never used that program, but as Minderwiz stated, the houses can look even, but in reality are not. Some programs, even with Placidus houses, make the house sizes look even, when they're not.

If you'd like, please post only your house cusps starting with the ascendant, so we can clear up any fog.

With an interception, you have two house (cusp) rulers for those houses.

AG

AutumnMoonfire

Ahh a graphics snafu, I guess I have to go do some reading so I do not sound like a total dufus in my line of questions...

My Cusps run as follows:
1st 22'aqua07"
2nd 11'aries33"
3rd 15'taurus32"
4th 09'gemini30"
5th 00'cancer01"
6th 21'cancer50"
7th 22'leo07"
8th 11'libra 33"
9th 15'scorpio32"
10th 09'sag30"
11th 00'cap01"
12th 21'cap50"

I am using ' as a degree sign and " as a minute sign.
As I said I am going to do some reading to look for more information...I thank all of you for your help along the way :TMAGE

Pollux

(AG :* - Truth :* and no need of apologies!)

Thank you, Minderwiz, for the explanations. Now I have a notion of the differences, and when I have time (this summer...:() will try to get deeper with this. THANK YOU :)

AutumnMoonfire, as far as I can see, Pisces is entirely in the first, and therefore Virgo is contained in the 7th.

If I looked at my chart I would come up with too many interceptions I think... Maybe later.

AutumnMoonfire

Well I looked in my astrology books and have found no references to interceptions of signs entirely within houses. I feel like I bit off a rather big chunk here...I have the Astrologers Handbook and March/McEvers the only way to volumes 1&2. I really want to understand the concept because it also occurs in my younger daughter's chart, in her case the sun is in the intercepted sign in her 10th house.

Is the concept covered in March/McEvers vol 3?

Minderwiz

AutumnMoonfire

I've used your data to construct a chart and if I use Placidus Houses then I come up with exactly the same House cusps as you.

Your program is therefore not using the Equal House System but Placidus. If my previous post doesn't help you change the House system then try the Help menu to find out how to make the changes.

As I said in my previous post and as is clear from my copy of your chart, many US Astrology packages, including Astro DL give you the chart with physically equally sized houses, but inspection of the signs and degrees on the cusps shows that in fact they differ significantly in size.

Best wishes

Minderwiz

AutumnMoonfire

I have figured out about the Placidus houses being drawn as if they were equal...Now I am trying to understand how one interprets this. It is clear that March McEvers expects this, they discuss signs on cusps as Aries on the first, aries on the second and so forth instead of treating it as an overlay.

I know Minderwiz that you have a more recent version of ASTROL DL than I do, would you happen to have the website at hand and do you think an upgrade would help me? I can get a program from Matrix for about $100 US, it looks like a good program, but maybe I still want to stay with DL which I have had from the "shareware" days. Back in the days when we thought a 40k hard drive was the cat's meow!

Minderwiz

AutumnMoonfire

I would interpret the Houses as Aquarius on the first, Aries on the second, etc. Where there is an intercepted sign - Pisces in the First and Saturn in Pisces, I would intrepret this in terms of Saturn in First in Pisces but also recognise that Your Aquarius Ascendant is also coloured by Pisces, I would also give more emphasis to the first House (and seventh with intercepted Virgo) than the 5th and sixth, and eleventh and twelfth which are 'smaller' Houses sharing the same sign. In your case with Moon and Jupiter in the sixth, I would interpret this House in the same way that I would if it were Equal Houses. Notice I say give more emphasis - I do not mean that you should treat the fifth, eleventh and twelfth as being unimportant - merely that your life is more likely to influenced by first and seventh House matters.

The sign on the cusp should be taken as the dominant sign for that House, showing the way that you would normally express yourself in the matters relating to that House, the intercepted sign adds tone and colour and a little more importance to the House. Remember your basics - Planets= Actors, Signs = Roles, Houses = Areas of Life.

The Website for Astro DL is http://www.halloran.com/

There are significant discounts for upgrades to version 6.0 - if you have a Version 2 it will cost you $90 if you have Version 3, $75 - so its worth checking out. I like the program and it meets my needs.

Don't upgrade just for the sake of it though - what do you need from a program? Many of the programs have quite sophisticated functions which the average amateur will never need. As I'm doing a course which I hope will give me the sort of level of knowledge of a professional, I wanted software to support that. But if I was simply dabbling (which I used to do!) I'd probably stick with the version you've got - check the website for any free updates to that version.

Best wishes

Minderwiz