Exclusively Oracle users

Aeric

In my experience, card readers have moved to the independent patterns and systems of oracle decks after some time spent with Tarot. Or, they found their way to Tarot through first using an oracle deck.

But is there anyone here who started with oracles and never left? What about Tarot did not attract you to it and continues to not appeal?

tohrutohno

I'd have to say I fit this bill. I was gifted both my oracle deck and my rider Waite but I've only ever used the oracle. I can't say why exactly but the oracle deck just feels better to me when I compare it to Tarot. My Tarot deck still remains unused. I truly don't know how else to explain it other than the oracle deck just happens to be the one that speaks to me. I know that's probably not as descriptive as you wanted but it's all I got.

AJ

I started with an oracle, the Druid Animal Oracle. Didn't know there was a difference. Used off Ebay, 5 bucks.
I spent several months that summer with that oracle.
It wasn't much longer that I learned what a tarot deck was, probably here.

I would say I still love oracles over tarot, because there is no prescribed gotta do it this way you idiot feelings.
I just got two Lenormands in October, love the decks and am having fun with them on my blog, but the Lenormand forum attitude soured me from going any further.

edited to add: I see that doesn't answer your specific question...I do both, sorry.

danieljuk

I think a minority of readers are like tohrutohno and most find tarot first. This is really because Oracles and their popularity is a fairly new thing. Most card readers who have started have gone with tarot first. I don't know anyone personally who doesn't do tarot as well as Oracles but I am sure there is people who do.

The interesting thing is that with the popularity of Oracles in recent years, I think we may find lots of Oracle only people in future. Plus there may be oracles for people's specific interests and spiritual beliefs. I do know people who are interested in Angels, which is a big current marketable area and have no interest in the tarot at all.

I can see that tarot is harder to learn and you have to learn a structure. With Oracles they are so much easier to learn. But I think we will see a lot of Oracle only people in future probably :)

Emily

I first started with playing cards, then I got interested in tarot but then found oracle decks. I still find oracles easier to learn because usually all you have to go on is the companion book, which is usually detailed and the system used to learn and read the oracle. Tarot can get very complicated, so many different versions of deck and also different meanings, some of them very non-traditional. I also like oracles that are easy to learn and not complicated, I tend to stay away from oracles that use complex systems.

In the last few days I've had some break-throughs with one of the Lenormand decks I have and I think this is because I've decided to just go with the meanings of one of the books I have and not flit between different meanings. So it is a lot less complicated now. I have a nice collection of oracles cards now, I need to get them in my profile. :)

greatdane

I love tarot and I love Lenormand

I consider them both "oracle" decks. But if you mean decks that don't fall under the traditional tarot systems, other than psycards, it's Lenormands. I also LOVE tarot. I don't see it as any type of competition. I use tarot for myself, Lenormands for most others when I read, that's just what works for me. I don't really use oracles that go off into a separate area than tarot or Lenormand, except psycards, and they're really pretty straight forward to me as well.

zannamarie

Tarot is just a specialized type of oracle so not sure exactly what you were wanting to ask.

I started with one tarot deck, but my second "deck" several months later was reading with a bag of animal crackers (biscuits). I have many more "oracle" decks than I do tarot decks. I like the variety oracle decks provide--many diverse images and meanings rather than falling under a structure like most tarot decks do. Non-tarot oracles tend to stimulate my intuitive muscles more than tarot.

ana luisa

I'm with greatdane here.I started with the Lenormand, but now, I don't draw the line between them. Often, I see the oracle vibe seeping through in my Tarot readings. The opposite, not so much. I guess, in my experience, Oracles are like a crazy free flower girl while Tarot is a brilliant student at Harvard. Both have their merits but their language is different.
I believe what you call oracles are those decks that do not follow the Major/minor arcana, with the Courts and the like, right ?

merissa_88

There are oracles with a structure. In some ways, Lenormand is harder for me to learn than tarot was. I miss the way the elements organize the cards into groups. Also, the Crystal Ally Cards are divided into groups by element. The deck creator has a system of reading called elemental interactions. It's a little like elemental dignities.

The Heart of Faerie Oracle is organized into masculine and feminine cards- so there is structure.

It's only because we're overwhelmed by Doreen Virtue decks that people think oracles are easy.

I'm not an exclusive oracle user, but I was. I used the Crystal Ally Cards as my only deck for 5 years. Once I discovered Aeclectic, that was the end of that.

DownUnderNZer

My first deck was playing cards too. Then I tried tarot, but the information at the time was too heavy for me and I didnt like seeing death or affairs.

Lenormand came much later and I loved its directness and ability to be specific.

Now Im fine with tarot and oracle as they all have different strengths. :heart: