Experiments with "Eye Rhythms" in the Dodal

Herzog

Le Fanu said:
Could we also say the Sword inclined, rhymes with the inclined ribbon of the two of Coins?

I would go so far as to say the Page of Swords... his posture, rhymes with the "S" shape of the Two Coins. Both have a kind of "hand on the hip" feel. And also a possible rhyme between the Page of Wands' braided hair (?) and the flower pedals on the actual Coins

As an aside: why the gnarled claw on the Wand? Ive never seen such a chewed up piece of meat for a hand. Could this have been a shortcoming of the artist who designed it, or the engraver? There is no logic to it

Bernice

moderndayruth said:
Yes, indeed!
To me, they reminded some kind of national male dance with guns or wands/swords; these are many in Balkans, but i am not sure i can find th images right now...
This is something similar from another part of the world
http://www.brendaandbrent.com/1 3230.jpg

and this is Polish folklore dance with wands
http://www.usc.edu/dept/polish_music/news/events/IFDE.jpg

(Not exactly what i was looking for, but something like that.)
Morris Men? Although I think they are probably indigenous to England...... so maybe not applicable.

Bee :)

moderndayruth

Bernice said:
Morris Men? Although I think they are probably indigenous to England...... so maybe not applicable.

Bee :)

Thank you Bee!
I didn't know of Morris Men - but yes, that's that kind of dance!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Morris.dancing.at.wells.arp.jpg

http://www.leicestermorrismen.co.uk/scan0005-cropsharpen1.jpg

Also, sometimes in this parts they (i mean folklore dancers) dance with swords too, so the two Vallets and 2 of Coins reminded me of some kind of ritual and/or traditional dance.

Le Fanu

Herzog said:
I would go so far as to say the Page of Swords... his posture, rhymes with the "S" shape of the Two Coins. Both have a kind of "hand on the hip" feel. And also a possible rhyme between the Page of Wands' braided hair (?) and the flower pedals on the actual Coins

As an aside: why the gnarled claw on the Wand? Ive never seen such a chewed up piece of meat for a hand. Could this have been a shortcoming of the artist who designed it, or the engraver? There is no logic to it
Yes, he is ever so slightly snakey in his posture isn't he? That rhythm is definitely reflected in the 2 of Coins. Subtle observation there.
I was looking at the Page of Wand's hair or hat or turban thingy wondering what it was. Do you think it is braids?

Is this the right place where I can ask this.. what is the...*ahem* .. thingy between the Page of Sword's legs? Did the engraver really dare it include it ...? is everyone else just too polite to mention it? :D

moderndayruth

Le Fanu said:
Y
Is this the right place where I can ask this.. what is the...*ahem* .. thingy between the Page of Sword's legs?

mind, the content of the pics would not be advisable for minors/ may contain explicit material

Some kind of shield for his "manhood"
(sorry couldn't think of more adequate euphemism) :angel:

Some kind of male chastity belt?
like this or
like this?

Le Fanu

2nd link didn't work for me but I think I get the idea! :D

Men didn't need chastity belts, did they? Wasn't it an imposed-on-women-only thing?

I had assumed it was something - erm - dangling. Nothing like the thingy on the Payen Hanged Man. That's another league entirely.

I hope I'm not lowering the tone, but it is in the card image. We have to analyse it!

moderndayruth

Le Fanu said:
Men didn't need chastity belts, did they? Wasn't it an imposed-on-women-only thing?
For men it could have been used for 'erotic sexual denial' which maybe could make sense in relation to this Valet's suit - Spade (Intellect).
Other Valet's stick/rod au contraire...
And if the two coins denotes the relationship between the two of them, it is interesting to what the pip might be referring.

Le Fanu

moderndayruth said:
For men it could have been used for 'erotic sexual denial' which maybe could make sense in relation to this Valet's suit - Spade (Intellect).
Other Valet's stick/rod au contraire...
And if the two coins denotes the relationship between the two of them, it is interesting to what the pip might be referring.
How fascinating. So if it were a type of chastity belt, it would be in the context of sex compromising intellectual activity. So in these cards we might, just might, have - remember our mirror image - denial (Swords) and flaunting (Wands)?

That Page of Wands does flaunt rather, doesn't he, and it does tie in nicely with their opposing stances. Not necessarily as a sexual thing between the two of them, as Pages can be female anyway, and that Page of Wands looks much more female than the other one.

moderndayruth

Le Fanu said:
How fascinating. So if it were a type of chastity belt, it would be in the context of sex compromising intellectual activity. So in these cards we might, just might, have - remember our mirror image - denial (Swords) and flaunting (Wands)?
Yes, that's what i thought of - i think that could be one of the aspects of this trio.

thinbuddha

Le Fanu said:
Is this the right place where I can ask this.. what is the...*ahem* .. thingy between the Page of Sword's legs? Did the engraver really dare it include it ...?

It is a codpiece. Here is a painting of Henry VIII wearing one.