Faery Seekers Circle #9 Story Readings thread

Sophie

Wow, Rosered! For someone who is "not a storyteller" you certainly know how to tell a story! I love African stories...yours was a joy to read.

This is a marvellous thread! I'll get to it this w/e :)

Chronata

Leo62 said:
This was just a wonderful story. Thank-you Chronata :)

Although it has a lot of personal relevance for me, I feel this is also a story that stands on its own - it's much more than simply a card reading...

aww...thanks Leo62! Oddly enough...after I wrote it, I realized that it had some personal significance for me as well...which I had not expected at all!

The opening dialogue between the boy and the Sage: I identified with both sides of this! The Sage is like that quiet, inner voice of wisdom that my "boyis"h side is usually too busy or distracted to hear.

This is so me as well! I feel like I have made great strides in my own personal and spiritual growth...but sometimes it goes too slowly.
Sage says "it requires you to learn patience..."
and my little acolyte says"yeah yeah, patience...how long's that gonna take?" :D

And then - the classic quest. The journey through dark tunnels and veils of fire I can relate to in terms of an inner quest - the tunnel in particular reminds me of shamanic journeying, something I practiced for several years.

The canyon-crossing episode has particular poignance for me. This idea of transforming one's way of thinking and then of seeing is something that is very much part of my life at the moment - in fact I'm trying to write a novel about it!

Oh that's awesome to hear! Nelys really inspired this whole scene for me in the story. Funny thing is...it almost got shortened, or cut out completely in favor of a shorter description of transforming! I'm glad I left it in!

The encounter with Lunare is pretty scary - but again, it all depends on the way you look at it...The idea of sacrificing an eye is a pretty direct metaphor for changing one's way of seeing, and I think points to a truth that these things are not simply a matter of airy-fairy "positive-thinking" - there is a price to pay for this kind of "sight."

Absolutely. The tradition of this sacrafice goes back to Odin, and other Norse sagas. The first thing I did, before I wrote this was really sit down with the sage card and look at him. I asked him "how did you become what you are now?" And the story...which was origianlly going to be much more modern...much less World story...just sort of took off from there!

By the way...the Lunare are actually what I call the collective of Goddesses that are represented by the Moon. I seem to have my own pantheon of moon spirits...and the FO have them too! The moon has always represented to me anything having to do with the subconcious and spiritual or pychic journeys.

The idea of the moon being an egg comes from another story I wrote about the Native American trickster Coyote, (which in turn is from a story/legend I had to write for a role playing game.)
One egg contains the stars, the moon yolk and all the waters on the world. Another egg contains the sun yolk, the rocks and mountains and the winds. There is always a third egg too...but the Creator takes that one away before anyone can guess what might be inside! :)

I just love creation myths...World stories, and folk and fairy tales in general.

I love the way that Lunare says "you could have just offered your hat!" This is an equally important truth, for me; it's not necessary to be all melodramatic and get into big-time suffering when it comes to sacrifice.
Yes! This has always been my take on the Hanged Man card in the tarot. yes, a sacrifice has to be made to move forward...but it doesn't have to be so grand as all that. The term sacrifice simply means "to make sacred" so it is to offer something in a manner of reverance and honor. A hat, a couple of dollars to a homeless person...or sincerely giving up a bad habit. All these are sacrifice!

...and I love the whining apprentice at the end - I think that's the bit I identify with most ;)
Hee hee! That part is about my older brother...someone who is as close to opposite from me as you can get! I had recently done a reading for him...and I was explaining all this esoteric stuff, in a new agey language...("and universal truth..and...blah blah...") and after the reading...all he could remember...all he focused on...was the fact that the Queen of Wands looked hot, and he hoped she was comming into his life soon! I felt like gathering up the deck and smacking him with it! (I should have...but it still wouldn't have stopped him from spending the night in jail! Ah well....)

Thanks so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it, and I am glad that the story rang with resonance for you. I had not expected the story to help me as well...but I should have realized that there was a connection when you gave me the character...who was eerily, a lot like the one I had just given to rosered!

It was fun to write!

Annabelle

Feedback for Leo62

Hi Leo62,

Sorry it's taken me so long to give feedback on the reading! You did a great job - I really enjoyed the story :). It was easy to see which card applied to which part of the story, too, which was helpful...

And don't worry about having wandered off from my character description . . . my character was pretty boring, if you ask me ;).

Now, here's where I have to admit why it's taken me so long to give feedback -- I can't figure out how to give traditional card-by-card feedback on this reading! Every time I've tried I've just given up. Anyway, since the story is about a fictional character and not about me, and since you did such an amazing job of using the cards you drew to guide the development of the story, there's not much I can say here but "wow"! :D :D

But if there was anything specific in the story that you were hoping to get feedback on, please do let me know. Hopefully some of the other Faery Seekers will chime in with feedback too, if they care to . . .

Blessings,
Annabelle

Chronata

Real feedback for rosered…

I had wanted to post true feedback, on the wonderful story, for a while, but I keep getting distracted by other things that come up!

To begin…I had chosen the card of Geeeoooo, and looking at his weathered face, I thought him a great man of the mountain. It was interesting that I wrote Terransi as a kind of sage…and then Leo62 gave me her character to write about…also the Sage!
The Universe is definitely trying to tell me something about progress, lessons and wisdom, I think!

I like how Terransi sits so still..and moves so slowly, that one might mistake him for a rock. The invisibility idea is resonating with me, because since my school days, I have practiced the art of blending in, being invisible when necessary.

When he says…”I am not as wise or invisible as you made me out to be”…well that is very true of me as well!
“Every fool has his own paradise” is a great line. I feel that I have become the tarot fool again…starting a new cycle from a different perspective. This makes a lot of sense to me!

To see mountains where there are no mountains…and to keep turning to see either the cheery trees or the lake…but not both together…wow, does this sound like me! Wanting to do one thing…indecisions about which thing to do first…like poor Terransi, I am not peaceful or calm when I attempt to do all at once!

My spouse pointed out the other time in the story where Terransi is like me…when the mountain speaks to him about being jaded with damsels and treasures…well, this refers to a part of my past that deals with working at Renaissance faires (this issue keeps coming up, oddly…)
As long as he has choices to do something else…he will no longer have to pretend to be a rock.
I believe this fits me too!

I wanted to tell you about the other thing that resonates with me about this story…and that is the daily spider visit.
On my porch there is a couple of spiders…very beautiful, and a tiny bit scary…because they are so large.
One is bulbous and black and is content to make webs under the plants. The other is brown speckled and makes webs in my doorframe, connecting my windchimes and every day, around the same time…this spider will wind it’s way down to hang just at eye level in my window.

It almost does a little dance for me, reminding me of how creative and prolific I could be…if only I get off my butt on that chair…and start creating again!!

Thanks again for such a wonderful story!

Leo62

Annabelle4 said:
Now, here's where I have to admit why it's taken me so long to give feedback -- I can't figure out how to give traditional card-by-card feedback on this reading! Every time I've tried I've just given up.
I know what you mean - when I gave feedback for Chronata's story, I just looked at each "event" in the story, rather than trying to focus on every individual card..if that's any help. :)

Annabelle4 said:
Anyway, since the story is about a fictional character and not about me
Are you quite sure about that Annabelle? })

Leo62

Chronata said:
I feel like I have made great strides in my own personal and spiritual growth...but sometimes it goes too slowly.
Sage says "it requires you to learn patience..."
and my little acolyte says"yeah yeah, patience...how long's that gonna take?" :D
Haha...your internal dialogue sounds uncannily like mine! ;)

Chronata said:
By the way...the Lunare are actually what I call the collective of Goddesses that are represented by the Moon. I seem to have my own pantheon of moon spirits...and the FO have them too! The moon has always represented to me anything having to do with the subconcious and spiritual or pychic journeys.
Yes - when I read your story, it reminded me of the Furies, or the Erinyes, from Greek myth...kinda scary but they have their own wisdom and their own rules, and if you break 'em, they come after you!

Chronata said:
The idea of the moon being an egg comes from another story I wrote about the Native American trickster Coyote, (which in turn is from a story/legend I had to write for a role playing game.)
That's very interesting - when I first read your story, the episode where the Sage offers his eye reminds me of a Native Americal medicine wheel story I heard years ago, where the mouse offers both her eyes and becomes blind, but then is transformed into an eagle...unfortunately I can't remember the whole thing, or which tradition it comes from...

Chronata said:
The term sacrifice simply means "to make sacred" so it is to offer something in a manner of reverance and honor. A hat, a couple of dollars to a homeless person...or sincerely giving up a bad habit. All these are sacrifice!
I didn't know that - it's so much more empowering if you think of it in this way, rather than being something that involves feeling miserable and martyred.

Chronata said:
I am glad that the story rang with resonance for you. I had not expected the story to help me as well...but I should have realized that there was a connection when you gave me the character...who was eerily, a lot like the one I had just given to rosered!
Well that's the magic of storytelling! And I truly believe it is a magical act, that's why it works so well for divination...:)

rosesred

Thanks for the extensive feedback, Chronata!

I really liked the character you gave me. In the beginning he seemed to be some kind of wise old man, and while pondering the story I found out that there is so much more to him. He is wise, yet this does not save him from getting stuck. That seemed important.

To me, writing the story was a good experience. I felt stuck, and then I realized that I could just change my circumstances. I am not a rock! (That was my big discovery this month, along with the discovery that tomato soup and coffee do not mix well ;) )

Thanks for sharing the spider experience. I like spiders, as long as they are no bigger than my palm, and they are not in my house. Those things will send me screaming if I find them in my bedroom, even when they are the cutest, most useful thing in the arachnide-kingdom.

sagitarian

story/reading for Skydancer

Gantor, who was little and small, felt parituclarly unimportant today. Usually, this little creature who swims every day back and forth in the Great Deep, wasn’t very nice to the "people" he met. On this particular day however, he felt so upset, lost in his thoughts, that he didn’t even feel like pestering the people around him, not that many bothered to be close to him, b/c as soon as he came close, they swam away, fast, avoiding him. So he was just swimming along. He cried and moaned on, but everyone just avoided him. He is an object of gossip, and he could hear them whispering behind his back. Muttering to himself “what wretched people they were, wretched I tell you, just wretched”. But then, one day, this day... he realizes that something is not quite right in his watery world ... and he goes to investigate ... he sees a small shining light. It wasn’t a coin, no, he was familiar with what those looks like, he has a collection of them afterall, one of the few things that brings him almost a sense of happiness when he holds one. But no, this is something else, it’s moving, but brilliant, what could be so brilliant? This brilliance of a thing brought him out of his own miserable torturing thoughts and closer to his curiousity, much like a child. Who should he find but a brilliant lite up faery, flying about. “What does she think she’s doing here, on my territory, I’m going to give her a piece of my mind”. He floats over to this new person in his land and yells out “just what do you think you’re doing here, you can’t just fly around lighting up this world, don’t you know where you are?”

The faery giggles and flutters as a bit of dust sprinkles on the ground, and where it lands, it lights up, like small specks of dull light. “You’re cute, and just the person I needed to speak with, you have to be Gantor, are you not?”

Very puzzled by this, I mean honestly, who would need me, who would come here and search for me, how has anyone ever heard of me. The wretched people I bet, talking about me behind my back, who knows who they’ve talked to. But this is rather intriquing. He looks at her with a strange stare, his eyes are endless depths, and can suck you into his own sad thoughts if you stare too long. Finally he replies…”yes, I’m Gantor, why, how have you heard of me, who wants to know, why have you come here anyways?”

“hehehe, I’m Sylvia, and I come on a quest to find the Gantor of the seas, the counsel told me where I could find you. They would love to speak with you personally”.

Why he’s never heard such nonsense, a counsel, what counsel, where, who are these people, and who does she think she is, she can’t just come here, and speak nonsense about a counsel. He slumps, and sits down, thinking hard about this. If he goes, he’ll miss his home, and his coins, if he stays, he’ll just be gloomy, and tired. He’s heard of adventures before, but has never truly been on one. Afterall, someone wants to speak with him, that alone is very different. He’s never had anyone who wanted to find him, much less speak to him. What would they talk about, what would they say, what would he say? All these things circling around and around in his thoughts, and she floated, fluttered, and flew around in circles much like his thoughts, her dust sprinkling around him, as a few pieces of dust hit his skin, he felt more at ease, better, each dust seeming to make a bit more sadness go away. Finally he came to the conclusion. “Alright Sylvia, you got a deal, I’ll go with you, and meet with this counsel, I do trust that you know the way, I don’t want to get lost somewhere where I don’t know, and I’ll have to bring some things with me. I don’t like to travel” and on he went about all the troubles that this trip may cause him while they made their way to his home so he may gather his things for the trip.

Gantor took with him a change of clothes, a few coins, a few bubbles, but mostly, his thoughts. They set out, made their way to land and traveled quite a ways into the nearby forest. As they traveled he talked about his life, how his parents never were happy, and how he’s miserable now. That people don’t like him, but he never stops pointing out everyone’s faults regardless. Finally she spoke, “well, here we are Gantor, the counsel, their waiting for you right inside there” she pointed to a glen, where all different types of goblins waited. Boldly he stepped through to join them.

Almost at once, they all started speaking..”finally he came, the one we’ve been waiting for”…”what’s your name”…”where did she find you”…”do you like your home”…”we have some plans for you”…”do you know where you are”…”let him be, let him find his seat”…”don’t tell us what to do you’re not the boss here”…”neither are you”…and they started squabbling about themselves. They made so much noise, that he couldn’t even understand what they were all saying anymore, too many of them talking at once.

He closed his eyes and thought back to a time long ago when he was still a youngyen…he remembered an old dwarf man, how made his home on the edge of the sea and frequently went out to the forests. Once, he followed him, curious to know what he was doing. This old man sat in the forest and watched something. His eyes moved slightly, but only his eyes, it was as if he didn’t even breathe. He almost looked like stone. He was as quite as a mouse, and creeping closer and closer, but keeping himself hidden. Finally the old man got up and spoke softly. “I know your there, your name is Gantor, you don’t have to be afraid, the mice told me you where here, watching me”. He thought to himself, the mice? How can mice talk? That’s ridiculous. None the less, this old man knew he was there, so he came out of his hiding spot. The old man spoke to him “aww, there you are young Gantor, come, let’s go have some maple juice with a twist of honeysuckle”.
Young Gantor followed the old man to his hobble on the side of the hill near the sea. They sat and talked for a while. Finally the old man told him, “young Gantor, you will grow old, like me, and you will have not gone anywhere in your life, and you will be sour. In this time, you will be needed by others, b/c you’ll have a good insite about the bad things in other people. Others won’t want to hear this, but one day, this ability of yours will be needed, and it will transform you, making you into a butterfly”. After being convinced that the old man was indeed crazy, I mean, he did say he talked to mice right? Young Gantor got up and thanked the old man for the maple juice but said that his parents are probably worried about him, that he must go. Myk replied “ahh, when you get home, you’ll find out that no time has passed, b/c you see, the movement of mice is slow, and they slow down everything else”. Young Gantor made his way home, and sure enough, only 5 mins have passed, but surely he was gone for some time, a few hrs at least…so how could that be. The next day he set out to find the old Dwarf, but he found nothing…just an empty hole on the side of a hill near the sea.

“I wonder if the old man was right, after all these years” he mutters to himself. Someone else in the counsel heard him speak and quickly said “hush you numb brain, I think I just heard him speak”, and after that came a series of shhh’s and shush’s, as they all starred at him, leaning in closer, anticipating what he was going to say next. Gantor said nothing at all though, for the first time, but instead, looked at the counsel. “this counsel never gets anywhere does it? You all talk too much, and no one listens to anyone, do you guys even hear what your saying to each other, or are you deaf now from all the noise you cause?” Expecting the usual outcome of his ranting, of everyone getting up and leaving, but the counsel, they all nodded their heads, agreeing that he has a point. A few of them even admitted that they have a hard time hearing anymore, and never knew why. One of them spoke “He’s the one, I don’t think he knows who he is, but he’s the one”. Gantor looks at them strangely, realizing that the old man, so many years ago was right. Something was going to happen, and he could feel it, some kind of transformation. Their eyes lit up as they starred at him, what were they all starring at? He looked back at them with, going from one to the next, but it was almost impossible as there were so many of them. He looked down at his feet and took out one of his bubbles for his thoughts. When he looked down, his feet has changed, he looked at his hands and they have changed too, in fact, he didn’t seem to have any form at all, but it was constantly changing, even colors, to shapes, to energy, to emptiness, to a hand again. It felt strangely comfortable to him. Another counsel member spoke and said, “it’s time for you to go, time for you to go into the world, not as Gantor, but as the shape shifter. Pointing out the problems that others have, what their masks are that they wear inside, the ugliness that they possess, and show them with yourself the mirror of who they should be. How to remove the masks, and to be the person they want to be”. Gantor, or known now as the shape shifter, Shi for short, nodded his head and slowly walked away. He had no desire to go home. Everything has transformed him, and he wondered how an adventure, even as little as this one has been, can transform someone so much. Where once he couldn’t be around others, now he can shape shift into any form necessary in order to help others understand their negative images, and show them how to transform the negative into a positive person. He loved this idea. But first, he should need some more help before he begins his true work.

Shi, previously known as Gantor, travels further into the forest, enjoying his new ability to become anything he wanted, it only took his thought into doing so. He found another wise man. His throat was lit up brilliantly, and he lived so peacefully amongst the forest. Amazed at how beautifully this man lived along side nature, he came to talk with him, wondering if he had anything to teach him. The wise man was quick to introduce himself to Shi. “Greetings, I take it you’ve been to the counsel, you must be Shi, previously known as Gantor of the sea, correct? By all means, correct my words, if my words are wrong, or if I use the wrong word, in which you see a better way to describe who you are. My name is Arval, or Arval is what I was named” with a soft smile, he shook his hand. He was so eloquent with his words, that Shi has never seen anything like this before. He was intriqued, truly and deeply. “please to meet you Arval, and yes, you are correct, I am shi, previously known as Gantor of the sea. I have been to the counsel indeed”. The two newly met friends sat and talked for a while. Shi learned how using careful words can mean a lot, he can use this way of speaking to gently expose others faults, and realized why so many took so much offense to the Gantor that he previously was. All the wiser, at least with words, after meeting Arval and spending some time with him in his home, he decided it was time to move on. With a departure, but a promise to return, Shi left a coin and a bubble with Arval, and walked deeper into the woods.

Shi came across a small child faery. She was so brilliant, and happy, he’s never seen anyone happy like she was. Just happy. Surely there is nothing wrong with that, in fact, isn’t that what he is trying to inspire others to be? Find their happiness? But so young is she, that surely she has no wisdom of experience. She fluttered close to him, and started playing a game with some stones. She invited him to play with her, and delighted in this, he changed his from to that of another child, and learned what it was to truly play. Now, I don’t mean to just join in playing with her, but he learned to play from the heart. He found that true happiness comes from inside, and that everyone has the ability to access this, I mean, after all, if he can, anyone can! Alas, he got thirsty, and asked her if she knew where they could get a drink. “Oh I know the most wonderful place in all the land to drink, come with me” and taking Shi’s hand, she led him to a small pond. Sitting upon a flat rock was a shining Chalice. “One drink from the pond in this cup is enough to revive anyone, in all things in life, go on, have a drink, try it”. Trusting this little faery, he took the chalice and scooped some water from the pond inside it. Taking long drawls from the chalice, gulping it down, it tasted like strawberry maple jucie, it was his favorite. But when he finished the drink, he new that it had changed him too. He could feel it, swirling inside, almost like vibrating inside, it was changing him, completely and utterly changing him. Removing any last bit of what was left of Gantor, shedding that internal skin of a lifetime of being someone, and this drink, completely shedding every last fabric being, every bad thought, every bad dream, every sorrow ever felt, it was now gone. She was right, this drink was a miracle drink, it was the cup, the chalice. He set it down on the same stone, and the small girl smiled approvingly up at him, and off she went, skipping and playing, realizing that she was the wisest he'd ever seen. He smiled as she skipped, changing form, more just energy then anything personal. Once she was out of site, he looked at all the different ways he could go from here, thinking about all the wonderous opportunities. He felt down deep into his gut about which direction he should go. He looked in this direction, and saw something shining on the ground. Floating towards it, he saw that it was an acorn, with a few sprinkles of faery dust upon it. He picked it up, looked above into the tree, and saw Sylvia, now pregnant, smiling down at him. Shi smiled back to her, and he knew for sure, this is the direction that he needs to go. He placed a coin where the acorn once laid, and set out, allowing Sylvia's brilliant light, once again, guide his way.

Everywhere you see a coin laying abandoned on the street, know that Shi the pook as has been there, leaving it for you to pick up the coin, and the bubble of thought of who you truly are, and who you wish to become. The coin is to make a wish upon, and toss into the water, where once was his home, so you can make yourself and his old home brighter.

The charcters are :
1 The Hero/ine – Gloominous Doom (Gantor)

2 The Conflict/Challenge – Taitin the sylph (Sylvia)

3 An Ally – The Topsie Turvets (the counsel)

4 Past Influences – Myk the Myomancer (Myk)

5 The Future – The Pook (Shape Shifter, Shi for short)

6 The Resolution – a. Arval the Parrot (Arval)
b. The Singer of the Chalice
c. The Maiden
D. Faeries of the future

Wow that was so much fun to write. Most of the faeries just fell out of the deck as I was shuffling, including the last four who all wanted to be apart of the resolution. When I first looked at the cards, I was thinking “wow, how am I going to make a story out of this”, but then I just started typing it, and out it came. I hope you enjoyed it, I don’t know if this is applicable to a real life situation to you or not, but I see the moral of it being, someone who was once very upset in life, met with a good friend, who introduced her to something or someone else, and later, completely transformed and is all the better because of it. Not only that, but now knowing how to help others, and has a true sense of knowing what needs to be done, how to tell people what they need to hear, but gently, how to still have fun, and continue be young. Not knowing where this will all lead, but knowing in your “gut” this is definitely the right path to take. (in a nut shell, lol).

Sagitarian

rosesred

is this thread alive?

Are people still interested in completing this thread?? seems like less then half the people who signed up actually did the reading.