Favorite gilded deck?

FLizarraga

I have kat blacks Golden Tarot, which has gilt edges. I like the images and the edges, but the cards are just a bit dark and big for me.

Have you considered trimming it? I did. The images really pop without those big borders, and the trimmed size is great. I gilded the edges afterward --not as nice, but an OK homemade substitute.

I also have the Visconti from LoS. I frankly find the gold distracting, and I have to change the light when using those.

Yes. They call for candlelight, or at least something discrete and indirect. Otherwise they are like blinding gold mirrors.

agviz

Ditto to what MoonGypsy and FLizarraga said about black edges going well with a golden deck. I did that with the LoS Visconti, Klimt, and Golden Universal, and it looks really elegant. My favorite so far remains the Visconti.

All this talk of the Botticelli has tempted me to get it, but I was hoping to someday find this alternate version mentioned in Le Fanu's Botticelli article. It seems to be much more subtle in its treatment of gold, and perhaps all the richer for it. Don't know how/where to get it. If anyone knows, please advise.

rylla

my favorite right now is the Tarot Illuminati - it is a beautiful deck and easy to relate to the RWS system. Wonder how is not appreciated more.

MoonGypsy

Ditto to what MoonGypsy and FLizarraga said about black edges going well with a golden deck. I did that with the LoS Visconti, Klimt, and Golden Universal, and it looks really elegant. My favorite so far remains the Visconti.

All this talk of the Botticelli has tempted me to get it, but I was hoping to someday find this alternate version mentioned in Le Fanu's Botticelli article. It seems to be much more subtle in its treatment of gold, and perhaps all the richer for it. Don't know how/where to get it. If anyone knows, please advise.

OH, I have never seen Le Fanu's Botticelli! It looks wonderful!

But i must say, after i blackened the edges of my Regular Lo Scarabeo Botticelli, it improved a great deal.
It really is very lovely...

agviz

But i must say, after i blackened the edges of my Regular Lo Scarabeo Botticelli, it improved a great deal.

Well, I think you've sold me on it.

feynrir

[...] But i must say, after i blackened the edges of my Regular Lo Scarabeo Botticelli, it improved a great deal.

What is your method for blackening the edges? :)

Also--I do think the Botticelli is gorgeous.

MoonGypsy

What is your method for blackening the edges? :)

Also--I do think the Botticelli is gorgeous.

Our member lady bird [creator of the Antiquarian Lenormand]
has done
a wonderful Youtube video on the very subject.

i use the same Jumbo Avery Marks a Lot marker that lady bird uses.
[it is non toxic and has very little scent,
compared to Sharpie and some other brands.]

Here is a link to view the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubFyoO9q0Yk

i also use many of the other methods that she shows
in the vid, on other decks.
Modifying decks is very addicting,
because the outcomes are so rewarding.
It really gives a deck so much more character,
and is a good way to bond with your deck. ;)

Enjoy! and Happy Edge Treating! :D

HuskyChariot

I too am disappointed I never got the 3rd edition, I wasn't aware it was gilded :(

Tarot of Dreams is definitely my favourite Ciro deck. I have the Gilded Royale and the Gilded Lenormand, but the Legacy of the Divine never appealed to me... even though I may have picked up the special edition on the trading forum if it wasn't US postage only, just because I'm a bit of a completionist ;P

I REALLY hope the mass market edition is gilded!

agviz

Our member lady bird [creator of the Antiquarian Lenormand]
has done a wonderful Youtube video on the very subject.

That's a nice video. One ink I'd add is the Ranger Archival Jet Black ink pad. Really a deep, rich black.