Favorite or Most Resonant Card?

Madrigal

Do you have a favorite card or a 'most resonant for you' card across decks? A card that could be a make-it-or-break it in terms of getting a deck? Or card that you use as a rubric when looking at a deck? A card that is alive in you, for you?

For me it's the Strength card. A number of decks have captured it well and a lot of decks miss the mark for me with this card. Done well IMO are the Rosetta, Illuminati and Holy Light though all very different in their interpretations each has captured something subtle about the authentic relationship between these two figures. I'm okay with the Universal RWS interpretation and the MG is rather nice. And though I prefer the 'beast' to be a lion the LLewellyn deck does a nice job with the interplay and dance between the yielding/harnessing energy of this card. I'm sure there are a lot of other decks out there that I'm unaware of that do an interesting job with this card but these are the ones I like of those I'm familiar with.

So how about you, what is your favorite or make-it-or-break it card?

Thirteen

High Priestess & Knight of Cups for feelings

Do you have a favorite card or a 'most resonant for you' card across decks? A card that could be a make-it-or-break it in terms of getting a deck?
Nice question. High Priestess for me. She's certainly the first, though not the only card I look at when deciding on a deck. As she represents, to me, us tarot readers, all psychic power, inspiration, discovering hidden knowledge and secrets, I feel she ought to be on target. If not, then it feels to me like the deck is missing a key element.

This one hits the nail on the head for me:
http://ouroboroscycle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/scan00022.jpg

Zephyros

The Star and Death. Both are important cards for me, as Thirteen said among the first I look at. Also the Hierophant and the Prince of Discs.

Barleywine

For me it's also the Strength card, but not for the most obvious of reasons. When I studied under the Builders of the Adytum curriculum back in the 1970s, I was struck by Paul Foster Case's distinction that the Woman (human subconscious) taming the Lion (animal nature) is shown opening the jaws of the Lion in the BOTA deck (and "in all older versions," to quote Case) rather then forcing them closed as in the RWS, thereby enabling the fullest controlled articulation of its energy. (A quick look at my Marseilles decks shows him to be correct.) More modern renderings often show the Woman coexisting peacefully with the Lion, having already achieved mastery, a more subtle but still appropriate show of Strength. Although I don't own the Anna K deck, I've always liked the fact that the Woman and the Lion seem to have a mutually respectful rapport - the Lion has been subdued through force of Will, not through application of brute physical strength. It's a fine point, but one that makes a difference for me.

Chrystella

I often look at the Devil card. I think it's one of the most misunderstood cards and how an artist represents it can make a break a deck for me.

Grizabella

The High Priestess and the Hermit for me. I love them both. One of my all-time favorite Hermits is the New Palladini with his dorky hat.

esotericsciences

I always make sure to look for the queen of swords. I also connect a lot with Death and the chariot!

also worth noting that l can't resist a deck with a resonant tower.

Miss Woo

*Deleted*

Ballerina

The card that most resonates with me and that I am usually most interested in seeing is The Hanged Man. However, having said that, my favorite card of all time is the 10 of Swords from the Bohemian Gothic.

Tarot1

For me it's also the Strength card, but not for the most obvious of reasons. When I studied under the Builders of the Adytum curriculum back in the 1970s, I was struck by Paul Foster Case's distinction that the Woman (human subconscious) taming the Lion (animal nature) is shown opening the jaws of the Lion in the BOTA deck (and "in all older versions," to quote Case) rather then forcing them closed as in the RWS, thereby enabling the fullest controlled articulation of its energy. (A quick look at my Marseilles decks shows him to be correct.) More modern renderings often show the Woman coexisting peacefully with the Lion, having already achieved mastery, a more subtle but still appropriate show of Strength. Although I don't own the Anna K deck, I've always liked the fact that the Woman and the Lion seem to have a mutually respectful rapport - the Lion has been subdued through force of Will, not through application of brute physical strength. It's a fine point, but one that makes a difference for me.

I like this interpretation, and I've seen other interpretations of the woman as the 'Enchantress'. This also resonates with me as a form of 'feminine' Strength and is tied to archtypical female traits such as intuition, beauty, and seduction; it is the raging beast that finally 'yields'. :)