First Thoughts on Gilded Reverie

Barleywine

I recently performed my first reading with the Gilded Reverie, with a cautious eye toward the obervation of some experienced readers here that it may be a little too complex or "busy" for a Lenormand newbie. In practice, I had no problems with this since I didn't try to read anything "extra" into the images the way tarot symbolism encourages you to do. It's possible to just focus on the core meaning and let the more elaborate details kind of slide by. I may find that more difficult to do as I gain more experience with it, but it seems to have gotten off on the right foot. I also jumped right into the GT using the PL sheet and Andy's hints as guidance and found it to be perfectly workable for someone with a strong background in large tarot spreads.

Most of the comments came from my sitter. She said things like: "Why is the Ship floating in the air?" (Hmm . . . I had some half-baked notions from Victorian-era sci-fi literature that I couldn't articulate in a way she would understand when I was put on the spot), and "Oh, look, the Dog wants to go for a walk. Maybe he has to "go." (That thought never crossed my mind!) She was certainly impressed with the beauty of the cards and the way they spoke to her.

All in all, it was a successful reading and did what Lenormand seems to do best: give a very real-world, "nuts-and-bolts," practical outlook on her current situation. Interestingly, she asked a rather vague spiritual question (she wrote it down but didn't show it to me in advance) but what emerged was some sharply-focused commentary on her day-to-day struggles with her elderly (and ailing) mother's condition, something that is consuming a large amount of her time and energy. When we went back to the original question, she did get a rather tempered "yes/no" response that showed some complications in the path she was considering taking, but no major obstacles.

ETA: I didn't put this in the Lenormand Readings area since I don't want specific input on the reading, I'm just making some general observations on my initial experience with the deck.

Alta

My experience with this deck has been positive as well. And I also find that I just follow the meanings and don't try to read the image per se. I find the deck attractive with a very positive vibe to it and the cards themselves are pleasing to handle.

It seems a good sign that your sitter also liked the cards and felt moved to make comments. As to his artistic choices, well I suppose you could ask him about the ship etc. There were some long threads about the deck around the time it was created and he did speak at length about some of the cards. About the ship, I don't remember. It may not matter though because (as you clearly know) Lenormand cards are not meant to be read like tarot as it is a different system.

moonbear

I'm in the process of buying a Lenormand/sybilla oracle/kipper deck and I'm trying to make my mind up which way to go. I do have one Lenormand deck. Thanks for posting your thoughts on this Barleywine, I had been looking at the Guilded Reverie (there are so many gorgeous decks out there!), it definitely caught my eye. The other one is the Mystical.

On a personal level I will be using the pictures to add to the reading. There are so many wonderful images that just beg to be interpreted along with the traditional meanings it would be such a shame not to make use of such wonderful art!

Barleywine

On a personal level I will be using the pictures to add to the reading. There are so many wonderful images that just beg to be interpreted along with the traditional meanings it would be such a shame not to make use of such wonderful art!

I expect that I'll get there too. Right now I'm just taking "baby steps" :)

moonbear

I expect that I'll get there too. Right now I'm just taking "baby steps" :)

Me too :laugh: I've never done much with my Lenormand deck because it was so small and tiny compared to my big flashy tarot cards lol but the few times I've shuffled them and tried a tentative reading it's always seemed to say things pretty directly!

Village Witch

I am new to Lenormand and have limited experience with Lenormand decks. I own only two decks. One I don't use anymore. As with the tarot, I often choose a deck and work with it till I feel I need something new or better or or the deck just doesn't resonate with me.

So far I am very happy with the Gilded Reverie. I like fancy bright pictures, so this deck fits me well. I don't see much symbolism in that there are hidden meanings in the cards as in some tarot decks, but just today I looked at the Clover card and saw the clover blooms among the clover leaves and read it as my luck/feeling good has reached it's pinnacle. (The hubby and I have been house hunting and found the perfect house yesterday!) So there is hope yet in my finding more symbolism in the cards. I need to take a closer look.

I love the box the deck comes in. :-D I own two Gilded Reverie decks so that I can carry one in my purse to do readings. It's amazing how often I am asked for a reading when I am out and about.

SunChariot

The Gilded Reverie Lenormand was my first and is still my only Lenormand. I didn't find the imagery hampered my learning at all, even complex as it is. I enjoy looking at it, but I do not make use of the imagery when reading. So it has not affect on how the deck reads for me.

I once tore up some paper into 36 squares and did readings with it. And really, it read about the same. If you are not going to use the imagery in the reading, I guess it doesn't make a difference whether it is complex or not.

I guess the answer to why the ship is floating in mid-air is just that that is the way the artist envisioned it. Artistic licence. That is how "ship" felt to him. But the floating has no meaning unless you read with the imagery. Which I don't with the Lenormand.

ME TOO! I LOVE the box the deck comes in. Mine is 2 months old or so and I still keep it in the box. Which is RARE for me. I never keep boxes and throw them out right away and put all my decks in pouches. This one I kept the box.

Babs

andybc

Ciro's designs are just a sumptuous take on the traditional emblems, with a nod to natural evolution. The Ship is a good card illustrating this.

In the XVIIII century travel by sea was the form of overseas travel and exporting trade, now that is replaced by air travel. For this reason the Ship often denotes travel by air and business conducted over the ether - having the ship floating in the sky is a nice acknowledgement of that.

Barleywine

Ciro's designs are just a sumptuous take on the traditional emblems, with a nod to natural evolution. The Ship is a good card illustrating this.

In the XVIIII century travel by sea was the form of overseas travel and exporting trade, now that is replaced by air travel. For this reason the Ship often denotes travel by air and business conducted over the ether - having the ship floating in the sky is a nice acknowledgement of that.

Thanks, Andy! I believe that is mentioned briefly in the LWB or in the expanded pdf companion to the deck.