Reading the Lenormand for yourself

claire1805

After getting to know the Lenormand on a progressive(at least I hope so) level since last December, I find myself really liking the direct and methodical way the cards are read. But I still can't help but feel adversed to reading the Lenormand for myself. Because the fixed meanings are such that there is no way for you to twist a negative reading into a positive one.

But after getting Rana George's book and reading that drawing cards on a daily basis is good for learning how the way the cards try to speak to us, I have been wanting to stick to daily draws. However, should I do a three card reading each morning, and somehow the cards end up being very negative, how am I supposed to go through the day with a positive attitude? Maybe I am just an escapist...

For example, just earlier on (it's nightime now), I decided to pull three cards to see how my day will go tomorrow and imagine my shock when I drew:

Sun + Anchor + Coffin

The Coffin at the end kind of cast a very heavy tone on the whole thing which I am hoping will be offset by the Sun/Anchor combination...

I would like to know whether you do daily draws and how do you find them? I don't really read for myself but realised there is no way of avoiding it should I want to personally experience how the cards speak to me through the happenings in my life... Do you have any advice on ensuring that one is neutral enough to read for themselves? I can have the tendency to twist things around for myself(never when I am reading for others) if I am not liking what I see, which is a no-no if I want to use the Lenormand to benefit myself through the readings...

Sorry for the ramblings, I would be happy to hear what you have to say. Thanks :)

3ill.yazi

This why I don't like daily draws. IMO better to just pick a card to study each day and don't feel it's your fortune that day.

kalliope

Just remember that for daily draws, all of the card meanings are dialed back considerably, and can mean really basic things sometimes. For example, the Cross as "burdens and hardships" could just mean you'll feel put-upon at work, for instance.

Sun-Anchor-Coffin (depending on your keyword for Anchor) could mean that a pleasant thing at work will come to an end. If you see the Anchor as sometimes meaning the beach (like Rana George, I think), it could be that a sunny day at the beach could end (either getting cut short, or because of the weather). Or the unrelenting heat (Sun-Anchor) will give you a headache or make you feel sick (Coffin.) Remember, in addition to endings, the Coffin signifies boxes, being boxed in, headaches, illnesses, feeling down, etc. Just some random ideas...

If you're prone to having your mood spoiled by drawing bad cards in the morning, I've heard of people drawing them face down, and then turning them over at night to connect them to the events of the day. That might be a good option for you!

dancing_moon

I did 'traditional' daily draws with Tarot and found them... moderately helpful. However, the thing that really puts me off about this kind of daily draws is that my life isn't that eventful day to day. :)

That's why I started to do a different kind of daily draws. I only draw cards when I have a specific question, and I try to do it as often as I can (though you'll spot significant gaps between my readings). This way, those readings are both useful and to the point in terms of interpretations (no vague guesses about what the Coffin might mean etc.).

And, of course, reading for others is of immense help in learning. :)

andybc

When I was learning to read these cards it was the grand tableau and that is it. I never did daily draws until around 2011/12 (I’ve done them with Tarot for years).

The challenge with daily draws is that you need to dilute the cards’ meanings. Whilst there is a chance you could get the Coffin and suddenly lose all your money, the chances are it is going to be a headache or even your bin needs emptying. The Whips could just be a broom/dustpan and brush, and the Park your garden, the Bear your hair.You'll also want to remember cards' timing meanings i.e. the Stars are likely to say something will happen that night.

On one hand, you’re not always going to be able to do that if you’re very new.

From a learning exercise these are good to subsidise your learning. They should not be your only learning or regular practise.

As long as you’re working through Rana’s book, doing other readings, focusing maybe on a card or two a month so that you can learn their more detailed nuances, your daily draws should help.

But you’ll probably end up dropping them – I would only do one if I had an important day.

Sun - Anchor - Coffin in a daily draw could indicate a small disappointment or something you were hoping for that day not materialising (anything from good weather).

Village Witch

Daily Reads

The challenge with daily draws is that you need to dilute the cards’ meanings.

I've found myself freaking out at times over daily reads. Rana George on her facebook page told me to dilute the daily read cards' meanings also. That was a big help.

When doing a cold daily read, I often find it difficult to decipher the cards's meanings at times. I find that if I concentrate my thoughts on any planned events that day, my readings make more sense.

I believe that if I get a happy reading... as on my granddaughter's birthday party day... that I face the day with a happy attitude. I'm sure that helps.

One draw back for me is seeing current concerns in every read. If my budget is tight, I have a tendency to search for money in every read. It's hard for me to do daily reads for that reason, but I keep plugging along.

Ryver

I've had days where I just wrote down my daily 3, went about my day and then figured out what it meant later that night or even the next day. Usually I do practice interpreting them but if I'm at a complete loss, feeling too scatter-brained, or just pressed for time then I give myself permission to use this approach. Whether I do this or not I do look back and reexamine the morning draw compared to what happened that day.