Flames on Fool

caridwen

I don't see the flame! I only see repeated designs. The only flames I see are the lining of the sleeves...

duskymorning

sorry

sorry, i m new here, didn't notice the aim of different forum. thank you for your advise though

alex

Fulgour

Hi :) Alex! Welcome to Aeclectic Tarot!
And so...what do you see on the tunic?

Rosanne

Hi, I was wondering why you might sem 'Mem' on the right hip? From a kabbalah point of view is not the right hip 'Hod' ~Rosanne

Rosanne

As this question, as all RWS fascinate me, I enlarged the tunic from the 1971 plaid back Swiss printed (Muller) deck (generous Fulgour!) I think this is the most accurate that I have personally seen.
1. It looks like a heart to me
2. Could be a Star
3. Moon? Flame? Just different to be Hod?
4. Sun
It is interesting because the drawing on the bag I always thought to be a butterfly- now looks like an Eagle's head.
Just hit on the enlarge icon when the thumbnail comes up! it is scanned in at A4 size for all those who are blind like me :D Quite fascinating!~Rosanne

Attachments

• RWSFoolTunic.jpg
    RWSFoolTunic.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 127
  • FoolRWSTunic.jpg
    FoolRWSTunic.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 97

Teheuti

Rosanne said:
Hi, I was wondering why you might sem 'Mem' on the right hip? From a kabbalah point of view is not the right hip 'Hod' ~Rosanne
I was only looking at the shape. Mem is a long-shot. If the hip design is Hod then where is Yesod and Malkuth? I don't see a clear Tree of Life pattern even among the 10 pinwheels, which probably represent the sephiroth.

BTW, I use the Giant RWS and a magnifying glass when looking at details - with confirmation based on the B&W line drawings from Pictorial Key. The standard sized US Games deck does not have the most precise images.

BTW, I think it's fine for people to offer their personal impressions - you never know when someone will come up with something important by seeing the card with the eyes of the Fool (a good thing!).

Mary

caridwen

This is a bit of an aside but I can't see the eagle head either! Where's the eagle on the Fool's bag?

duskymorning

after seeing the image of your comment

Fulgour said:
Hi :) Alex! Welcome to Aeclectic Tarot!
And so...what do you see on the tunic?

hi thank you for welcoming
the things on the tunic strike me the most, are the big yellow seashells, and a girl's face

duskymorning

sorry

hi, me being silly again, you meant what did i see on the shoulder and the hip..... on the shoulder i saw a flower, on the hip i think that does look like a flame, but my first feeling was something in his poket

tink27

I found these two interesting sites......one on the various cards of the Rider Waite Fool.... http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/ShipofFools.html

Another on tarot notes http://www2.ida.net/graphics/shirtail/fool0.htm

An insert from this site...

The Waite deck is meant to conceal some esoteric
teaching. Look carefully, and you will see that there are ten spheres. In
the Waite deck, this excludes the two "Flaming" Spheres --the one on the
hip, and the one on the right breast. The left shoulder is a star and
crescent moon -- not a sphere at all, but a known Hermetic symbol of the
action of opposites, which as I elsewhere mentioned, is also figured in the
Staff and Wallet. The blank sphere on the sleeve is an error, [it should be
eight-spoked, as] each of the spheres [is] eight-spoked. There should be 10
spheres: