Getting tired during readings

rainier

I'm fairly new to reading tarot, but one of the things that I noticed most immediately about reading is how tired it makes me. Anything larger than a one or two card spread can really put me in a mental fog, and sometimes I end up taking a break for an hour or so just to clear out my brain. I haven't heard anybody else talking about this so I'm wondering: does this happen to anybody else? Am I doing something wrong that is causing this to happen?

Or really, I guess I'd just like to figure out how to keep my energy up during readings. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

NightVision

Reading requires a HUGE amount of mental energy when you first start out, it is quite the mental exercise. you are engaging your imagination, subconscious, memory and pattern recognition all at the same time. I can't do more than 3 readings in a row.

Some would also say that you are spending psychic energy, and that some people have more of a sensitivity to card reading than others, you will see lots of examples of this around the forum.

So no, you aren't alone there.

twilight_dusk

When I first started reading, reading 2-3 card spreads for a couple of times, really takes a lot outta me. :(

Cenozoic

I remember trying to read a card for the first time, and my head got cloudy instantly! But I realized it's because my brain was churning very hard to process the information, and since I knew that, I took small breaks.

Too much information at once can leave you feeling overwhelmed, and that makes you want to quit, and then you'll never learn what you wanted to! So just take in small portions at a time, and it'll be easier on your brain, and then you'll learn more in the long run.

nisaba

I'm fairly new to reading tarot, but one of the things that I noticed most immediately about reading is how tired it makes me. Anything larger than a one or two card spread can really put me in a mental fog, and sometimes I end up taking a break for an hour or so just to clear out my brain. I haven't heard anybody else talking about this so I'm wondering: does this happen to anybody else? Am I doing something wrong that is causing this to happen?

This is going to be difficult if you ever start reading for the public - if someone is waiting for you when you are with the person before them, they're not going to want to wait another hour afterwards.

You need to learn how to ground after readings. Pinch yourself really hard, hard enough to be painful. Stamp your feet on the ground. Eat or drink something.

That "in a fog" feeling is ungroundedness. Grounding with visualisations of sending roots down into the earth might or might not work - sudden shocks like pain, and getting the digestive system working, do work every time.

Apollonia

Make sure you keep drinking water throughout the reading, dehydration is a huge cause of fatigue.

Also, watch your seating and your posture. When you are focusing to the extent that you are really "in the zone," you can end up not paying attention to bodily discomfort, and improper ergonomics and posture can take a toll on your body so that you are tired afterwards without knowing why.

Before I read, I always ground, clear and shield, open my chakras, and ask that I may be only the conduit for energy, information and healing from Spirit, using none of my own energy, so that at the end of my readings I have more energy than when I began.

And for beginners, it is really necessary to do a thorough clearing, ask that anything that is not your own be removed from your aura, and close down your chakras after reading, otherwise that energy can really stay with you.

(I know whereof I speak, as I once did 48 ten minute Celtic Cross readings in an eight hour period without a break...)

tarotbear

Make sure you keep drinking water throughout the reading, dehydration is a huge cause of fatigue. (I know whereof I speak, as I once did 48 ten minute Celtic Cross readings in an eight hour period without a break...)

Yes - doing multiple readings at a fair or party will take a lot out of anyone!

Also - if you are very new to this - you are expending a lot more mental energy because you are constantly asking yourself 'What does this card mean again? How does this card fit in with that card? This location - is this the past or the present?' etc., etc. and all the mental calisthenics take their toll on you.

If you are not doing 48 readings in a row like Apollonia - you still need to pace yourself, stay calm and relaxed - play some music, burn some incense, sip a margarita ... :smoker: ... and chill~!

Ica'rus

Not trying to hijack that this thread but i've noticed that I am not so much tired during my reading, but much of the time I feel exhausted and drained while I shuffle the cards. Is that normal or is it all in my head? lol

rainier

This is going to be difficult if you ever start reading for the public - if someone is waiting for you when you are with the person before them, they're not going to want to wait another hour afterwards.

You need to learn how to ground after readings. Pinch yourself really hard, hard enough to be painful. Stamp your feet on the ground. Eat or drink something.

That "in a fog" feeling is ungroundedness. Grounding with visualisations of sending roots down into the earth might or might not work - sudden shocks like pain, and getting the digestive system working, do work every time.

Thank you!! My next question would have been if grounding or meditation would help with this. I've never heard of grounding through eating before but it makes sense

rainier

Make sure you keep drinking water throughout the reading, dehydration is a huge cause of fatigue.

Also, watch your seating and your posture. When you are focusing to the extent that you are really "in the zone," you can end up not paying attention to bodily discomfort, and improper ergonomics and posture can take a toll on your body so that you are tired afterwards without knowing why.

Before I read, I always ground, clear and shield, open my chakras, and ask that I may be only the conduit for energy, information and healing from Spirit, using none of my own energy, so that at the end of my readings I have more energy than when I began.

And for beginners, it is really necessary to do a thorough clearing, ask that anything that is not your own be removed from your aura, and close down your chakras after reading, otherwise that energy can really stay with you.

(I know whereof I speak, as I once did 48 ten minute Celtic Cross readings in an eight hour period without a break...)

Oh wow I can't even begin to imagine doing that...just thinking about it makes me dizzy! Thanks for all these tips, a lot of these I never really considered. Posture could definitely be a big part of this; I don't even have access to a table that I could read on, so I sit on the floor and use a box as a surface. Probably high time to do something about that.