Going to read in public - well, almost

rmcfarron

Had lunch today with a friend from out of state who's visiting her family. During the discussion, I casually mentioned being the strange New-Age chick of the group. Tarot, astrology, crystals, I'm into it all. Now, she's invited me to come over to her mom's on Wednesday for wine and kibbles and do some reading for her family. This will be the first time I've read for anyone not my family or online. I'm terribly excited and a bit nervous. I'm debating which deck to take to use. I've been using my Druidcraft for myself, but a couple of the cards might be a bit much - I don't know anything about her family's sensibilities and don't want to offend. We are in the true heart of the Bible Belt. So, thinking about my Robin Wood or my Pagan deck - she knows I'm a witch. I'm just beside myself with anticipation!

Rae

Le Fanu

I see from your profile that you have the PCS Commemorative set. Couldn't you use that? Classic, easy on the eye, no surprises, no penises (except a tiny, imperceptible one in the Lovers card).

If you can read well with the RWS I'd go for that one. However, you should really take along the one which you read best with as you never know what contacts you'll make and you want to be seen at your best!

rmcfarron

Thanks, La Fanu. I hadn't thought of that, but it would be simply perfect, wouldn't it? And maybe I'll take along my Robin Wood as my security blanket!

Chellester

I think the Robin Wood deck is a good choice for using with people who might have some apprehensions about tarot. Good luck and I hope it goes well!

minotaur

So your big event is tonight...some thoughts...there are many ways to do things. These are just ideas that have worked for me over the years.

There are two things that will come up. Those are money and how you control the length of the reading.

As far as money goes it is likely that people will give you something for your reading. If that looks like the case you want someone who really likes you to go first. Whatever the first person gives you the rest will mostly follow.

Sometimes the hostess will want to collect money for you and give it to you at the end of the night. You will get less because people have anonymity this way but just agree and smile.

If they want you to read all night for free that is not a good thing. Your time and energy has value. If a person isn't willing to pay something for you they really don't value you much. They may talk a good game but you are just party entertainment for them. Actually if you check into it party readers get from $60-$300 an hour, depending on where you are. What you are doing is a home psychic party and actually is a significant source of income for many readers.

If you do the readings for free you may well find everyone calling their friends to come over and get free readings. Everybody's your buddy when you are buying but if you don't set boundaries the world will suck everything out of you, both in tarot and in life.

If you do not control the length of the reading you will be there all night. How you control the length of the reading can vary.

First, have a very short statement to the group that to accommodate everyone readings will be limited to fifteen minutes. That doesn't sound like much but do the math. You will be reading four people an hour IF everything goes without delay. It seldom does.

If they have a dozen people you will be reading for three to four hours.

Another method is to get a timer. For a fifteen minute reading set it to thirteen minutes. You don't show it to anyone, just set the timer and put it down off the table with your stuff. When the timer goes off you talk for an extra minute and then wrap up. They feel they got extra time and you stay on schedule.

When time is a factor you should shuffle yourself and let them cut once (or twice if doing a three card reading). If you let them shuffle you will lose a lot of time.

Another factor in how you control reading length is your setup. You will either be in the corner of a room with everyone else or in a room by yourself.

If you are in a room with everyone it is usually pretty easy. You just make sure that when the table and chairs are set up their chair faces the people waiting. When you pick up the cards at the end of the reading the next person waiting will give them "the look". That usually works pretty well to keep things moving along.

A setup in a different room presents challenges, most specifically the sitter who will just not leave. Here is where you really need the timer. When you finish picking up the cards you need to bring things to a clear finish. You can do that by something like, "Remember, the most important thing for you to remember from this reading is _____. I really enjoyed reading for you".

Stand up and put out your hand to shake theirs. If you are more a hugger do that, but stand up.

Readings in another room usually take much longer as there is more delay in getting the next person in. They aren't hanging around like when you are all in the same room. They will usually have to go looking for the next person. That extra time adds up quickly. When you are tired it is better to be done at 11PM than midnight.

You might well be asked about longer, private readings and/or doing other group parties. Think in advance how you want to handle this.

It has been often mentioned that you need to keep hydrated. This is very, very important. One of the biggest factors in your mood, both in readings and in life, is your level of hydration.

Remember this...while you may not feel confident to the people you are reading you are really something quite special. Just do your readings and don't worry about it. If you keep positive the cards will take care of you just fine.

Good luck and have fun tonight.

rmcfarron

Thanks everyone!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and kind thoughts. This wasn't a payment kind of thing, just me reading for my friend, her mom, and sisters. Wine and cheese, and reading the cards. I'm not yet at a point where I'm comfortable charging for readings.

So, things went delightfully well. They were all very open and had experience in their lives with different types of psychic situations. Fascinated by the idea and delighted with the readings. I used my Robin Wood (love that deck!) and the readings flowed very well.

Also fun, at the end of the night, her mom, who is from Lebanon, made Turkish coffee - good stuff. Then, she read our cups for each of us. Quite interesting and intriguing. Over all, a good time was had by all.

Thanks again for all your support!

Disa

Well, I'm late to the game but I wanted to say congrats on your successful reading night. I'm in Georgia, too (ITP) so I know how hard it can be to try to gauge what people in the Bible belt will do. You and I have quite a few similarities going on from what I can tell from your post, the least of which is my reading name (and nickname from many friends and family) is Rée (pronounced Ray) ha. Maybe I've seen you around at the local metaphysical shops and never knew it. :) ( I frequent the witch room at P&D)