Good and Evil in the Cards...

Shula

When might the use of the cards become a channel for evil or negivity. In what ways can they be misused? How do you think they are BEST used? If you believe in God, then are you concerned if the cards seem to replace religious/spiritual meditation or prayer? What risks, if any, do you see in practicing tarot? Are there any traditional or ancient guidelines for practice?

Please share your thoughts relating to any of the above. I'd love to hear them. I'm not conflicted, just one part curious and one part concerned.

Shula

Sophie

Anything can become a conduit for negativity - your used hanky might be used by someone for a curse, your glass filled with poison, your mind played with by a con man or an abuser...

In themselves, the cards are neutral. But I believe they are best used as a conduit for the divine, because the were designed that way, rather than with negative intent in mind. But remember - the divine is not all fluff and joy. It can be dark, and you will bring to it your own internal negativity, as well as your joy. As a channel to the divine, it will bring you discovery, joy & pain - but no evil.

Traditional guidelines? Don't start what you can't finish, don't go where you don't want to go and enjoy the ride :). Oh, and the monkey wisdom: speak no evil, see no evil, hear no evil.

Dulcimer

A personal view

In my view the cards are simply that - card. A material substance made up of various molecules, etc. They have no intrinsic power. Can they absorb power, good or evil? No. There is no empty space in the card to be filled by energy of whatever variety. I really don't think that wrapping them in silk or whatever does any good. It is what it is.

And what it is is a tool. A tool of the mind. It allows the mind to focus, or trigger, a connection between the Universe and the Psyche. The subjective view of what you and I make of its language, its symbols, is entirely down to the individual - our experiences colour their meaning. If our experiences are dark then our focus will be dark and vice-versa.

It is a teacher only in so far as we wish to be taught. Unlike the I Ching it hasn't been built as a means of receiving advice. It doesn't tell us what to do. It is not an instrument so it cannot be "used" for evil, or good for that matter (Hitler was perported to have consulted it on occasion. Didn't do him any good in the end did it).

We must draw our own conclusions and accept the consequences.

Tarot cards are as neutral as a paint brush.

It would be difficult to misuse it I think, except to maybe try to make a religion out of it. Or perhaps using it to make a profit by advertising Tarot readings by post for £25. Yes. I would say that would be misusing it. Hmmm, perhaps it wouldn't be so difficult after all.

ArwenNightstar

Shula said:
When might the use of the cards become a channel for evil or negivity. In what ways can they be misused? How do you think they are BEST used? If you believe in God, then are you concerned if the cards seem to replace religious/spiritual meditation or prayer? What risks, if any, do you see in practicing tarot? Are there any traditional or ancient guidelines for practice?

Please share your thoughts relating to any of the above. I'd love to hear them. I'm not conflicted, just one part curious and one part concerned.

Shula

I would not say "evil" or even "negative" but I have seen the Tarot become a crutch for some. They can not even decide what restaurant to go to without consulting the cards. Seems like a waste of energy to me.

Emeraldgirl

I don't think that the cards are good or evil it all comes down to who uses them and for what purpose. I think that just about anything can be twisted and used in a negative way. I think that a negative way to use the cards would be to do a reading for a friend and then blab to everyone what was said and sensitive issues that came up. Once again though that is the reader's doing not the cards.

thinbuddha

I would agree with most of what has been said above. The tarot, for me is a tool that I use for three things:

meditation
self exploration
creative insight

I don't try to tell the future. I don't try to let it prescribe a path for me- I use it as a tool to "brainstorm" a given situation, and I make my own choices. Letting the cards decide anything..... Might as well flip a coin (did I hear mention of the iching?)

-tb

PS- I don't need any flames from i ching supporters. I use the i ching myself, from time to time- I was just being glib. As usual.

HudsonGray

The cards aren't used to channel any beings/spirits, so I don't see how they could be a focus point to bring that to you. I suppose if someone wants to actually scare themselves, they might be able to pull it off (but then fear is it's own attractor, as well), but for a normal deck, there's nothing insidious about it. They're tools, nothing more.

Shula

Thanks for your thoughts

People here are really reflective and insightful. Dulcimer, your perspective of the cards as a mental tool made alot of sense. Personally, I am developing better understanding of what the cards are about from reading the threads here. Its changed what I look for from them and has really helped my readings.

For instance, I was at a meeting and I "used" the cards later to gain insight on the perspective of another person there. The cards made alot of sense in that context.

I also used them to clarify what my main focus should be right now, and the reading was really right on. I felt inspired because I really appreciated what was reflected back. It really did help me improve my focus and recognise the areas that mean the most.

SunChariot

My opinions on that is that you will get out of it what you put into it. If you have some kind of evil intent while doing readings it could in theory come out in your answer. After all, they are on one level connecting with your subconscious.

I imagine that is a very rare situation. I have myself never had anything like that. All my decks give me very spiritual enlightening answers.

Any tool can be misused. As they say you can use a hammer to build a beautiful home or to hurt someone. Depending on intent. I have heard some people try to get the answers from some spirits of some kind, evil or otherwise. I can tell you I have no intention of ever doing so.

Agreed, the cards themselve are just cardboard, the power is all in you. The cards just focus it. What you chose to do with your inner power and how you chose to use it is in your hands alone.

For myself, yes I believe in G-d, and I also believe that my answers come from that source. When I do a reading, it is specifically to help someone solve a problem that is bothering them, myself or someone else. I use Tarot to help people live their best lives, and I very much presume that is what G-d wants of us too.

Also, I tend to actually ask for the answers that will most help me help this person, right before I start a reading. And if I ask it is G-d who I am asking. And in fact even before that I tend to do a short medition on my scented candle I always light before I start, to clear my mind. It is a meditative kind of prayer thing. In that sense I would not say Tarot replaced my meditation or prayer practices I had. It just incorporated itself into that and became part of all that.

I know G-d wants us to live our best lives and help others. Tarot also is a way for me to very much connect more to others and the universe. It has made me a much more spiritual person than I was before. And given me a much deeper understanding of the level of the beauty and depth of this world we live in. I cannot believe that G-d would have a problem with any of this. And in fact I do sense he wants me to be into Tarot. And even seems to be guiding my choice of which decks are best for my future.

There was once a deck I wanted to by very much online, and I kept trying to pay and the online system would not work. I tried for hours, and coudl not pay. The next day I came on and found something better suited to me. For me I do not beleive any longer in coincidences, so I think that that was the universe/G-d trying to lead me in the right direction and tell me that one would have not been good for me. Now while I will likely never know why, I do trust in the process. And I do find if anything at all Tarot has made me feel much more connected to G-d.

So is all this something he would have a problem with? I can't imagine that it could be.

Bar

SunChariot

ArwenNightstar said:
I would not say "evil" or even "negative" but I have seen the Tarot become a crutch for some. They can not even decide what restaurant to go to without consulting the cards. Seems like a waste of energy to me.

Definitely with you on this one. :)To me Tarot should be a way to help improve your life and make you stronger. If you let it become a crutch like that it would seem to weaken you inside.

Bar