Good resources online and book recommendations for I Ching?

kimtsan

Hi guys! I just started studying I Ching, and I am wondering if there are good resources for beginners out there. I am looking for some introductory material that is easy to understand since I Ching is a very complex system. I just started looking at the hexagrams and the basics of I Ching and I feel like a I definitely need a book or website that systematically organizes the information into lessons because it is such a dynamic and intricate system of divination and it's a lot to take in. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

bradford

I can highly recommend this site as a place to begin:
http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/index.php
There is a free introductory course there.
There are good recommendations for further reading as well.
And a lively discussion forum.
Most of the material on my own site is too advanced, but you might find something of use in the Links, or the Bibliography, or the free booklet on Hexagram Names. http://www.hermetica.info

I do strongly advise against going anywhere near books or pages that are advertised for beginners. They are total crap. Instead, you are better off working a little harder and building a foundation that you won't have to unlearn later. You should study from sources who know the book in Chinese, not people who are just repackaging new age ideas. Get a couple of decent translations, NOT interpretations, but real translations, and take the time to study the introductory material. Alfred Huang's is pretty good. Thomas Cleary's plain and Buddhist versions are worthwhile. Richard Lynn's is OK too. The Wilhelm is almost regarded as canon, but it's dated and not a very accurate translation. Even Legge's is better, though it's dated as well.

gregory

Book - Alfred Douglas: The Oracle of Change. OOP but easy to source second hand cheaply.

rachelcat

Hey, gregory and bradford, I was just wondering what you think about Kerson Huang? I'm about to spring for his "revised edition" (I have the earlier edition, slim blue book), and I thought I'd ask if you think it's worth it. It looks like the newer edition has the (a?) Chinese version on facing pages, not that I can read Chinese in the very smallest bit, but I thought it might add something . . .

And kimtsan, just so you know, the Legge is available for free around the internet. This is a good site to check it out: http://www.sacred-texts.com/ich/index.htm

ETA: And I second onlineclarity. Good site!

rachelcat

Ah, that's the Wilhelm-Baynes, which is pretty much considered the English language standard, the one that Bradford mentioned:

The Wilhelm is almost regarded as canon, but it's dated and not a very accurate translation.

Thanks for the reply!

I like the Kerson Huang because it's (purports to be?) stripped down to an very early version. (Like Rutt, but readable!)

But maybe I need to grow up to be a big girl who reads all the wings! For that, I think Lynn will work for me.

(So basically, I know nothing about I Ching except a little bit about a random assortment of English translations!)

bradford

Hey, gregory and bradford, I was just wondering what you think about Kerson Huang?

I think he lacks the understanding to translate the meaning correctly.
And he is hung up on some academic fads
Not the worst translation, but you could do much better.

rachelcat

Thank you, bradford, I knew I'd get the straight dope from you!

(I won't now bother you for an opinion for every I Ching book I own! I'll stick with your recommendations to kimtsan above and figure out the rest.)

I was never a big fan of Cleary's translations, but I'm going to give them another shot on your recommendation.

bradford

Thank you, bradford, I knew I'd get the straight dope from you!
I was never a big fan of Cleary's translations, but I'm going to give them another shot on your recommendation.

He isn't flashy, and I didn't care for either his Taoist I Ching or his Cheng I versions.
But the other two stick very closely to the literal Chinese.
If you want to get blown away by what all is out there, check this out:
http://www.hermetica.info/YixueBib.htm