Greed, Lust, Collecting

McFaire

I haven’t been around here much lately, just busy with projects. Meanwhile I’ve been trying to be less materialistic and more focused in my daily life.

Now my lust and greed have returned in full force as I careen from deck to deck together with all the instigators here!

Oooh, I must have this! Ooh, I simply can't get through another day without that!

My resolve to be less materialistic is shattered. My focus is scattered. It’s all your fault, my friends.

Padma

Feeling the same way...hadn't bought decks for a while, and now I cannot seem to stop wanting everything - even decks I know I do not really want! I was actually thinking about this yesterday, wondering why all of a sudden I need more decks...

After taking the summer off from AT, and coming back here and finding deck greed again, I have to concur - it is the fault of AT'ers! :laugh:

McFaire

It also has something to do with autumn, doesn't it?

Autumn is the most magical of seasons, for me. It's also a nesting season, when we gather what we'll need to keep us cozy for the coming winter.

Of course, if you're down under, then my theory is shot to hell.

Padma

Nope, not in Oz! I understand your autumn interpretation, and it makes sense.

I am just glad nobody has yet come up with a pumpkin scented deck! :joke:

PathWalker

Well sorry to be seen as a grump, but no-one can realistically blame anyone else for their own shopping! To do so is to try and pass off responsibility, and you're never going to become less materialistic unless YOU make changes in your own life, and don't be influenced from outside.

Perhaps you were being amusingly ironic and I missed the humour, in which case I apologise - no offense intended, so the observation.

PathWalker (who is as materialistic as the next person, so not being judgmental, just logical.)

Padma

Indeed! I took this thread to be a humorous one, Pathwalker. We are all obviously masters of our own purse strings... ;)

Still and all, constant exposure to something can make you want it more, that is for sure!

I am no stranger to the enabling thread, either. If I can't get off the fence on a deck, I get someone here to push me over :D and I always appreciate the help!

Alta

Well, yes, about responsibility, but I'll have to say that reading about decks even negatively can make at a person at least curious about them. I fully confess to having given in many times.

Anise

De-enabling seems to be gauche here, but what the hey

A self-regulating process that works for me: wherever your wishlist is, make note of the date the deck enters your radar and just delay purchasing. Amazon date-stamps wishlist items automatically, but I find it more satisfying to have a wishlist spreadsheet on my desktop. I constantly add decks, never remove any, and I reorder the top 10 a few times a week to reflect my most wanted to least wanted. I make note of the date I added it, and if it’s been at least a month and I still feel that hot compulsion, I buy.

I’ve been surprised many times how quickly I get over a deck. And it’s a nice list to see what my tarot obsessions were at a particular time. For me, anyway, seeing the decks in a list, looking at them online for awhile, and the exercise of reordering the list feels akin to impulse-buying, flipping through the deck once, and having it sit on my shelf.