guess my ascendant

Lillie

No, it's ok, you don't have to.
But I do.
I do not, and probably will never have, a birth time.
Is there any way of me guessing my ascendant?

I have 4 things in sagi, if that means anything. Merc, which aspects loads of stuff, Mars and virgo conjunct each other but aspecting nothing else, and a totally unaspected sun.

squeakmo9

looking for an ascendant...

Since you don't have a birth time, the best bet would be to think about some key words that truly describe your outward personality. The mask that you wear when in public. Then read the different personality types in any astrology book and see which sign you identify with more.
I also think (mind you I'm no astrology expert) that by having 4 planets in one sign is pretty significant and have more to do with your authentic self.
I have 3 planets in Taurus (Sun, Moon, Mercury)as well as the North node so I tend to be somewhat reserved, even shy, stubborn to a fault, loyal..etc. but my ascendant is Leo. When I work with the public (I'm a hairdresser) I become quite outgoing, gregarious, confident and literally feel that I am "onstage" when I'm doing hair because I've got a room full of eyes on me. So Leo is my "mask" but Taurus(for better or worse) is who I REALLY am. Hope this helps you Lillie.

fyreflye

Lillie said:
No, it's ok, you don't have to.
But I do.
I do not, and probably will never have, a birth time.
Is there any way of me guessing my ascendant?

I have 4 things in sagi, if that means anything. Merc, which aspects loads of stuff, Mars and virgo conjunct each other but aspecting nothing else, and a totally unaspected sun.

If you know what fast moving Mercury aspects how could you not have enough data to determine your ascendant?

lionette

squeakmo9 said:
Since you don't have a birth time, the best bet would be to think about some key words that truly describe your outward personality. The mask that you wear when in public.

Just to chime in here with a question ...
I always thought that one's projected personality is more tied to the sun sign while the ascendant would be how one feels internally. Or to put it another way:
Sun sign = how people perceive you
Rising sign = how you perceive yourself

Not sure where this came from -- probably my sister who's read more about astrology than I have or I'd be able to find the quote! :D

jumptothemoonyea

Lillie,
one way to do it, is to use a charting program to make charts for every 2 hours of the day of birth. for each sign in ascendant. The only planet visibly affected by the hours and minutes is Moon. Look at every 2-hour chart and see if it matches your nature. House position of the planets can change their influence on you.

this site describes 'Your Personality and Physical Traits (The Rising Sign or the Ascendant) http://www.astrology-numerology.com/housecusp-1st.html - you can find one that accurately describes your ascendant side

these are two sites with free chart generating services
http://www.alabe.com/freechart/
http://www.astro.com/horoscopes/ahor.asp

BlueLotus

It may get quite frustrating, but can also be a lot of fun, to try to guess one's own ascendant.

I had to go through different rising signs trying to narrow my choices; but in my case I was confused between just 2 signs.

It does help to go online, or otherwise, to read the traits of each ascendant, and see if one fits more than another; afterall they are only 12 . It also helps to print them out and share this information with your closest friends as they will probably give you some new ideas and insights into the you that you may not be aware of .

Rising signs are essential in the sense that you will know which planets, including transitory ones, fall into which houses, and most astrologists claim that this bit of information is the essence of really understanding your own birth chart and/or transits.

However if all fails , an alternative is to study your birth chart in relation to your Sun Sign. I have found tremendous insight at times, learning through this one alone, and considering it as an ascendant,i.e. your 1st house, in your case this will be Sagittarius ( I guess ).

I was once told,, by a noted astrologer, that the most important 3 signs and aspects thereafter in the birth chart are the Sun, Ascendant, and Moon signs - Not necessarily in this order though.

Minderwiz

Planets are irelevant when it comes to determining the Ascendant - spherical geometery is what matters. It depends on the latitude and longitude of birth and the time of birth.

You can get an approximate AScendant if you know your time of birth to a couple of hours You don't say what your Sn sign is but start from the fact that at dawn, the Ascendant will be your Sun sign. Count how many days have passed since the beginning of the sign. For example, If you are a Taurus born on May 10th - It's about 20 days since the Sun entered Taurus, so the Sun was about 20 degrees Taurus at the time of your birth. If you were born at dawn, your Ascendant will be 20 degrees Taurus.

If you were not born at dawn, see if you can find out how long before or after dawn you were born, as accurately as you can - but an accuracy of 2 hours either way will likely work. For each 2 hours before dawn, shift your Ascendant back one whole sign. So if you were born two hours before dawn, your Ascendant becomes 20 degrees Aries. If you were born 6 hours after dawn your Ascendant becomes - 20 degrees Leo,

You might have to guess here, if you were born mid afternoon, then we might be talking of say seven or eight hours after Sun rise. again you can try either of these times and see which 'feels' right.

There are Astrologers who will rectify a birth chart using transits and progressions, given one or two important events in your life. However the accuracy of such rectifications is very debatable and obviously they cannot be verified unless you come across your actural birth details.

isthmus nekoi

If your moon is on a cusp (near the end or beginning of a sign), you could also see which moon sign fits you better and narrow your birthtime that way. But all the other planets move too slowly to determine time.

Lillie

fyreflye said:
If you know what fast moving Mercury aspects how could you not have enough data to determine your ascendant?

Er...

Can't remember. How fast does it move? It don't move more than a degree or two a day does it?
In which case most aspects would be ok as the orb can be a few degrees.
Anyhow, I did my chart for midday. and worked from that.

The moons a problem though, cos although it is pisces all day it covers a fair bit of ground. 15 degrees if I recall right.
Anyhow, during that time it makes and unmakes some faily significant aspects.

I have no idea when I was born. One of the perils of being adopted. So I just have to guess, and it's one of the reasons I never got too serious about astrology.
But the annoying thing is that my husband says he knows what it is cos he knows me.
I have no way of proving him wrong, and I really, really want too, as the one he says is not the one I would choose.

Oh well.

Minderwiz

A Midday birth or a Sunrise birth is the best that you can go for at the moment. If you really really want to know then get a reptuable Astrologer to have a go at rectifiction - but as I said in a previous post, there's no way of knowing whether they are right. A good test though is whether the rectified Ascendant works well with Transits and progression.

I'm not sure whether I would pay to have such a consultation as rectification is by no means an exact science and serveral Astrologers would give you several different answers.