Has Anyone Trimmed the Shining Tribe Tarot?

AJ

are you trimming the titles? because I think this would become an oracle if you are ;)
I knew you'd trim...how are you liking the images? Because to me this is a border that adds to the cards rather than detracts or distracts.

hunter

I finished trimming the deck. I'll try and post pictures tomorrow.

I'm very pleased. It shuffles so much easier for me. I like the way it looks better than with the borders, but not much. I could have easily have lived with the borders if the cards had been playing card size.

I'm still using the titles even though they are cut off. I'm not planning on using it as an oracle. Temperance may not have the word "Temperance" on it, but I'm thinking "Temperance" when I see it.

emmsma

Glad it worked out for you hunter.

I'll be watching for your pictures.

Sulis

So how do you tell which card is which since they are so non-traditional and since this deck is new to you?

oak_woman

Thank you for posting the photos, hunter - nice :)

I have a back-up of this deck and you've inspired me to trim it; something it would never have occurred to me to do. If I only had one copy I think I'd leave the borders in place, but it looks as if a trimmed Shining Tribe would be lovely to carry around.

hunter

Sulis said:
So how do you tell which card is which since they are so non-traditional and since this deck is new to you?

You can make a "cheat sheet" as I call them. Lay the cards out in order and scan them. 10 trimmed cards fit on my scanner at a time. Then paste the scans, a couple to a page, in Word and print them out. It only takes 3 pages, 6 sides, for a deck. 2 sides of a page for the majors, and a side per suit.

I scanned the cards, but didn't print out a cheat sheet for this deck. I don't think I'm going to need it. There are pictures in the book, if I'm not entirely sure about a card. But just trimming the deck, and trying to memorize as I went along, seems to have pretty much worked, for right now. This deck just really clicked with me though...so I think my ability to remember it, is not typical, maybe.

Tarot of Transformation is a deck I need the cheat sheet for. I cannot use that deck without constantly scanning the cheat sheet. I need a cheat sheet for the Shapeshifter Tarot too.

Oak Woman, you might need to mark a few of the cards with pencil lines. And use a bright light, but tip the cards a bit when cutting to reduce the glare. This is a shiny deck and the light kinda bounces off it. Most of the cards were very easy, but a few yellow, and one white one especially, required some special care.

I don't have even one card I wish I could do over. This trim went easier than some others I've done.

Sulis

hunter said:
You can make a "cheat sheet" as I call them. Lay the cards out in order and scan them. 10 trimmed cards fit on my scanner at a time. Then paste the scans, a couple to a page, in Word and print them out. It only takes 3 pages, 6 sides, for a deck. 2 sides of a page for the majors, and a side per suit.

I scanned the cards, but didn't print out a cheat sheet for this deck. I don't think I'm going to need it. There are pictures in the book, if I'm not entirely sure about a card. But just trimming the deck, and trying to memorize as I went along, seems to have pretty much worked, for right now. This deck just really clicked with me though...so I think my ability to remember it, is not typical, maybe.

Goodness...
I like to get an intuitive picture of what a card may mean in a spread straight away so that wouldn't work for me at all but if you're using the book, I guess that's a bit different. I couldn't cope with having to look up each card.

hunter

I know most of the cards already, so I don't have to look most of them up, to see their names. I'm going to play some solitaire to really cement them.

Tarot of Transformation, I don't do spreads with. I usually use it as card position #1 in a Celtic Cross and finish the rest of the spread off with the Zerner-Farber. So I only have to look up that one card.

The shapeshifter, I just never clicked with, so...needing to look up cards wasn't an issue.

If I like a deck, I learn the card names really fast, so it's not a problem to cut them off.

Hedera

Oh wow, they look really beautiful trimmed!

I've never been too keen on the colour of the border, and the weird dark-to-lightness of it - if I ever start using or studying this deck, I might trim it first (I won't worry about losing the titles either, since there are pictures in the book).

Thank you for showing how great they can look!

It really improves the deck, I think.