Have there ever been scientific studies?

Gulliver

What does it mean, that tarot "works"?

One could imagine that one has a lot of associations for only one card. Even though only one association fits the situation, we're thinking that it "works". My experiences say it works, too. You can let it be mysterious.

But it would be interesting whether there have been the try to investigate that point on a scientific basis. Do you know any study which did this?

JackofWands

This question touches on a very sensitive issue in Tarot--whether Tarot should be considered a "science" or an "art". Members of the former school want to poke, prod, and test it, and members of the latter school claim that it's too subjective and personal for any kind of scientific method to discover anything valuable.

Personally, I stand more in the first camp. A couple of months ago, as a part of another thread on this forum, I recorded all of my daily draws and then did some basic statistical analysis to see if any cards were showing up in patterns that would not be expected from a completely random distribution (they weren't). In terms of actual peer-reviewed research on Tarot, I don't know of anything, though.

Gulliver

Hi Jack,

thanks so much for the reply! It's really interesting, what you got as results. Thanks for sharing.

Barleywine

I did something similar with my daily draws and didn't notice any patterns either. Part of the problem with trying to "objectify" tarot reading is that it isn't always obvious where the line is crossed into psychism or auto-suggestion. It isn't like astrology, where there is an external reality (the "sky-map") to use as reference for empirical studies. Philosophically, I fall into the "art" category and don't see a scientific basis emerging any time soon (although I'm still pursuing more rigorous and complex spreads that try to squeeze more specific information out of the reading process).

gregory

I don't actually see how there can be scientific studies, as people's views of what constitutes accuracy is so very varied.

All one COULD perhaps do is have readings - say - predicting winners in horse races - something TOTALLY non-disputable. And keep score.

Even a reading on "will he propose" - apparently a yes no question - gets discussed for ages - "was that a real proposal; did he mean it; does it count if you don't get married or do we have to wait for that" and so on.

dryadintheelm

Probability studies would say that the layouts are entirely possible, which they are. But personally I feel that pulling two or three cards from the previous day's readings and having them land in similar spots for two to five days in a row is obviously possible, but so unlikely that to say it isn't significant would be foolish. Lately I've just been doing a daily draw of a single card, but when I'm doing a daily spread I actually have gotten to the point that I find it more unusual to not get a repeated card or three (from an eight card spread). But yes, a probability study would most likely say that it was entirely random and merely a coincidence, no matter how unlikely. The only way that it couldn't follow under "possible" in probability would be to remove certain cards from the deck and have them show up in the spread anyway, or something else that had zero chance of occurring.

There is a statistical significance thing that shows certain events have such a rare chance of happening that if it does happen, it is significant. However, the nature of the subject means that if such a test has ever had such a result it would be dismissed by the scientific community as a fluke (because it's a rare chance but it is possible and therefore was a coincidence), and would likely never be published so we would never hear about it.

I found a way to test my intuition once using a five point scale for accuracy. As in, I'd interpret a spread for one card for each day of the week and record my impressions, then I'd journal my week in a place where I couldn't see the predictions (to not influence my writing). Naturally at the beginning of the week they were pretty clear in my head, but by about halfway through they started fading. At the end of the week I'd tally my results, using 0 for dead wrong and 5 for eerily accurate. Then I'd divide my total by the possible total, and that would be my percent of accuracy for the week. I ranged from 62% to 65%, and since I believe in free will and not destiny I'd say that was a pretty decent percentage for a sporadic student of the tarot.

There isn't something in there though that helps me figure out when I know I'm right. I mean, sometimes things are soft, and those things are possible but not set in stone. Sometimes things are hard and clear, and I know that's pretty much inevitable. Inevitable is super rare, but I only recall being sure something was super likely and it didn't happen, but it was dependent upon me having $3,000 (an opportunity) and I failed to gather the money. I thought I'd at least find out what it was that I couldn't do, but I never figured it out.

Anyway, my point is that except for that, when I feel sure something is definite, it's in the works already and my scale doesn't take how it feels like it will turn out into account, it only shows accuracy. It's also extremely subjective (self-reporting scales are already subjective and considered frequently to be flawed methods of gathering data, add that to the fact that even though I have not reminded myself of my predictions I obviously saw them at some point and am potentially being influenced by them, well, my study isn't likely to get published either).

It might be interesting to have someone do a weekly prediction for someone else's week, with that person keeping a journal and never seeing the cards laid out for them though.

Lycanthropos

It might be interesting to have someone do a weekly prediction for someone else's week, with that person keeping a journal and never seeing the cards laid out for them though.

Oh, I agree, that would very interesting. I think I might try that. You've got me all curious now to see what would happen.

danieljuk

I found this research from 2004 from the University of London -

TESTING THE VALIDITY OF TAROT CARDS: CAN WE
DISTINGUISH BETWEEN A REAL AND A CONTROL READING?
Itai Ivtzan & Christopher C. French
Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit, University of London
link to pdf directly - http://www.researchgate.net/profile...OL_READING/links/54c3e6200cf219bbe4ec997d.pdf

this department Anomalistic Psychology is basically looking at the paranormal. This study seems very intent to look at the paranormal elements of tarot and they do two spreads with a tarot reader, one with cards drawn by the tarot reader and one randomly drawn by a random person (not the sitter).

I think most people would agree on AT that it doesn't matter who draws the cards, the reader doesn't have to do it, if you believe the message is destined anyway. The other thing in this study is that believers believed the reading fitted them much more than non believers. I am not sure what this study is really trying to prove in the results, some people found the reading fitted them, whatever the method, some people were sceptical and it didn't. Some of the believers found the "control" reading (not done by the experienced tarot reader) fitted them better but that doesn't mean tarot is random though. This was the best sort of study I could find using google.

ETA: this might be the same study paper posted by Amanda a long time ago in that other thread.

bluelagune

What does it mean, that tarot "works"?

One could imagine that one has a lot of associations for only one card. Even though only one association fits the situation, we're thinking that it "works". My experiences say it works, too. You can let it be mysterious.

But it would be interesting whether there have been the try to investigate that point on a scientific basis. Do you know any study which did this?

I think there is a common misconception that Tarot somehow the IT. It is a tool. Its a good tool but it is still a tool for opening and looking into the depth of the human mind. You can use candles, clouds and tea leafs if you want but only the readers mind and abilities are of importance.

There are youtube videos on predictabulity studies by US government, they are black and white from 60's.