have you regreted not buying a second copy of a deck?

Minotauro

so I have a tight budget and cant spend that much money on tarot related items , and there are quite a few decks I want alredy , but Im scared if I don t buy this deck, wich is my favourite and my go to deck , will run out of print or will cost more etc. so would you rather have other decks wich you will probably like first ? as a reference , last time I bought a deck was... november of last year. and I dont know how fast decks run out of print either s: haha

this is the deck in question http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/golden-klimt/

it has black borders and I've noticed it shows a lot when it rubs or scratches the ink revealin the white underneath etc.

VGimlet

Hm. Well, back when I was younger and had far, far less money I only had one deck, my Aquarian.

And it lasted me a long time. And even though I bought a newer edition of it, I still like my old beaten up, almost dog-eared deck the best.

So....IDK. In your shoes, if I got some extra money (gift card, whatever) I might.

Now that I am old and have more money I do buy extras of my go-to decks. Not that any of them will be going out of print right away. But, if something catastrophic were to happen (water-bottle leak, spill, chocolate, chewed by dog) I feel better having an extra, just in CASE.

sapienza

I'm a sucker for buying back-up copies of decks. I don't regret it if they are my favourites because a lot of my favourites ARE now oop. On the other hand, I have a lot of back-ups of decks that I don't use....which is crazy.

I'd say if you have been consistently using a deck for 6 months or more then it could be considered a 'favourite' and so might be worth getting a back-up. If you just get a deck, love it and then rush out to get a back-up, you run the risk of have two of a lot of decks you don't use.

In saying that, the deck you linked to is a Lo Scarabeo deck and they do tend to go OOP. But, in saying that, they also tend to be relatively easy to find for some time after they stop being printed.

There is another thing to consider though. If you want a deck and it is OOP you can usually find it. It may cost you more, but where there is a will there is a way. I know this because a very large number of my decks I didn't discover until after they were out of print.

I think if I had my time again I'd hold off on buying back-ups until I was absolutely sure the deck in question was one I'd use often and return to again and again. I possibly would have saved myself enough money to cover the extra cost of buying all those OOP decks.

Not sure if this has been helpful at all.

firefrost

I've bought back up decks of my favourites in my time, and then when I realised just how sturdy and hardy most decks are, they were all sold with my cull.

If you have children around or in an environment where someone else could damage/lose any then yes, perhaps a back up is a good idea, but with your description I can't help thinking that the deck is just developing character with being loved and used!

Carla

I bought a second copy of Celtic Tarot because the first one I got used was grubby. And I bought a second copy of AnnaK because I thought I'd like the bigger cards better, but I actually prefer my older, smaller copy with thinner cardstock. Then I got a second copy of Haindl because I wanted the jumbo version with less lamination. BUT...none of these were 'backup' copies and I've just sent my little Haindl off to someone in the US, and trying to sell my AnnaK 2. I'll keep both Celtics because I don't think anyone would want my first one, it isn't pretty!

So...I think I'm pretty much done with buying 'second' copies. (Until the next time I decide to buy a second copy of something. Gosh, I'm so fickle).

astronautica

I'm actually considering buying a second copy of my Klimt as well! It was my second deck, bought about four years ago now, and while it's still in fairly good condition the box is tatty from being knocked around in my handbag, and I know what you mean about the black borders scuffing!

I'd be tempted to buy a back-up copy while the deck's still in print and relatively cheap and easy to find... but that being said, I always end up giving in to the temptation of new decks instead! I think if you look after a deck and treat it with care it will live a long and happy life - and tarot bags are a good investment for protecting them, especially while travelling :)

Cassandra022

generally, no, and certainly not for easily obtainable in-print decks.

the only decks i kind of want a second copy of...Nusantara, as a backup because it is so hard to get and not the sturdiest of decks, but that's kind of unlikely given how rare it is, and perhaps another Thoth...I kind of would like one with French titles, so that I could trim it the way I like, side borders off, top/bottom title borders on, and read for people without them 'commenting' on the titles, but eh kinda htf in the US. Alternatively, a larger size maybe, so that if there is a reading I want to think on, I can lay it out with the large cards and keep doing readings with smaller ones...but if I went that route, I'd want another 1986 copy, better colors, which means waiting till one pops up on ebay for a price I can afford.

Generally, though, I go out of my way not to have two copies. Like, now that the borderless Deviant moon is coming out, I will likely sell the one I have, that I went through all the trouble of trimming and gilting because...I don't NEED two copies, and my tarot collecting habit is bad enough without holding onto extra copies of the same thing, lol

Bhavana

so I have a tight budget and cant spend that much money on tarot related items , and there are quite a few decks I want alredy , but Im scared if I don t buy this deck, wich is my favourite and my go to deck , will run out of print or will cost more etc. so would you rather have other decks wich you will probably like first ? as a reference , last time I bought a deck was... november of last year. and I dont know how fast decks run out of print either s: haha

this is the deck in question http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/golden-klimt/

it has black borders and I've noticed it shows a lot when it rubs or scratches the ink revealin the white underneath etc.

I don't think there is any danger in not being able to find this deck, even after it goes oop - you may eventually have to pay a little more for it, but not necessarily.

caridwen

I regret not buying another Bohemian Gothic Silver.

I have a really battered Druidcraft which is so fluffy at the edges the cards get stuck in them when I shuffle:laugh: I like it though;)

Le Fanu

You might want to read this thread as a kind of survey.

Like sapienza, I'm a sucker for back ups. I don't deliberate too much, but if it is a deck I love, I get a 2nd copy. If a deck does go OOP and become rare (two different things!) and you find you don't want it, you'll still be able to get rid of it relatively easily. I also think that now matter how hard a deck is to find, with a bit of determination you can get yourself one without paying too much. You might have to wait but if you're determined, within a year, you'll find one whilst scouring ebay and Trading here. The Greenwood and Dusserre Dodal and Ltd edition baba decks may be an exception. I think it would be pretty impossible to find a BG Silver cheap as a 2nd copy.

It's also nice not having to worry when you take it out of the house or slip it on your bag or have someone shuffling who is clumsy. I find that when I have a 2nd copy it changes my relationship with a deck and I become more more at ease with it and not worry about bending cards or scuffed edges (like the Klimt, of which I have two).

I don't regret not getting a 2nd copy of anything because I already have 2nd copies of everything I love and use.