HELP!!!! ------------ I have no idea how to do this!

sweet_intuition

Okay, so I was passing by a store that sold art supplies, and something within me went... "Hey, lets create a deck". And without even thinking, I picked up a pack of 48 color pencils - steadler, and 2b and 4b pencils, and 2 sketch pads of 145gsm paper.

I began to draw with the pencil, and then when i tried using the color pencils, especially the flesh tint, it mixed with the pencil lead and began looking all icky. Wasted two whole sheets of paper on it.

Do I like draw really really faint, and then color with them and then make a dark outline, or should i make one drawing in dark pencil, get it scanned and printed and then color it in? Or have I just bought all the wrong stuff?

ETA: I don't know where I got the idea to create a deck, it just hit me as I was passing the store! I have no idea how to go about it. So any and every lil bit of advise would be super super helpful.

moderndayruth

Hi sweet_intuition :) I can't offer any advice ( i know nothing about drawing/painting :(), but i wanted to wish you good luck with creating the deck, i am very excited and can't wait to see the first scans!!! :D :heart: :D :heart: :D :heart:

sweet_intuition

Thanks MDR, creating a deck is more frustrating than I imagined! Here's a scan of the Empress I drew, before trying to color it, and ruined it, and in a dramatic fit, burned it :(

Attachments

• Image0010.jpg
    Image0010.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 198

moderndayruth

sweet_intuition said:
Here's a scan of the Empress I drew, before trying to color it, and ruined it, and in a dramatic fit, burned it :(
Awww, what a beautiful and sensual image! Well, you'll have to draw the Empress again, that's all :D
Not to disregard what you feel right now, but every beggining is difficult, be patient and persistant, my dear friend.
I love your artwork and i am looking forward to seeing more cards as soon as possible! Please, don't burn them, ok? ;)

starlightexp

One option that would give you a bit of color freedom would be to fully draw out the card in just B/W. Pencil first then go over it with a black ink. Scan it into the computer and print it out in a clear cell (most office supply shops carry them) Then you can do it like the old cell animators and put your B/W cell over a new sheet of paper and have a go at colors. It's a bit more work upfront but it allows you to recolor a picture over and over again till you get the shading you like.

Great art by the way

Eowyn

LOL well Sweet Intuition, you are an artist now :D Burning your creation...

Well, all I wanted to say, is that you can re do your empress, as MDR said, and I would like to suggest you drawing the missing arm. I know it is supposed to be behind, but if you draw her arm like resting on her body, following the lines of it, it will look more complete. My drawing teacher at school recomended once that we should try to draw both hands of a body. But its a suggestion, not a rule. Just thought you may find thi susefull ;)

Well, I think sketching and scanning is a very good idea, and then coloring the print. All I know is that there are no rules, and as you followed your heart in the store, now you have to do whatever seems better in this new adventure.

I'll be looking forward to see more cards!!

Good luck!!!

divinest

Wow, that drawing is BEAUTIFUL! :O :D

As starlight suggested, scan it, and work from the scan. :) The deck will look fantastic if it's anything like this first card. :D

FearfulSymmetry

What you need to do is pick up a can of 'Workable Fixitif" sold at most art supply stores. You can spray a layer of that over your pencil and it won't be disturbed by your color pencils.
You could also ink it and when it's dry you erase out the pencil, then you can use color pencils or watercolor or whatever you like on it.

What kind of paper are you using? Some of those sketch pads aren't the best to use for anything serious, the paper isn't very durable. There are some very good ones too though.

Beautiful drawing:)

Good luck!
Marie

minrice

That's pretty Sweet, even if it didn't turn out as you had hoped. It's good you have an eye for drawing, because you can figure out the colored pencil issues :)

Briar Rose

From what I remember from art school; it's worth it to buy cold pressed paper. And a set of pencils both hard and soft. I love the woodless pencils.

You can use several pencils for one drawing you know!

I think from your drawing you show tons of experience. I hope that you do complete a whole deck. Looks very promising. Dude, you can draw!