Here is a tarot deck design (with box!) you can make at home with simple materials

AstraAngel

Here is a design I just completed for a new tarot deck design, you can make it with box cardboard (like from cereal boxes), some black/white/red tempera or acrylic paint, some potatoes to make the prints, some jute cord. I am getting some very good results with the deck in readings, and it was a lot of fun to make! Feel free to borrow the design, modify it, or whatever! You could have a lot of fun with the materials too…

http://tinyurl.com/7lbzdso

AJ

Aren't you the clever gentleman!

I've made some nice boxes but they take forever and I'm impatient unless it is quilt related. I think there are two thread with a lot of good ideas and templates. The problem with tarot cards is they come in so many sizes so you need to alter the box recipe all the time :)

Cerulean

Beautifully done and a real treat to see.

There are magazines such as Somerset Studio, I think, that would have fun projects in articles--I really like yours for its great inventiveness and ability to use good ingredients.

What are you calling your handmade set?

The folklore of playing card arts and crafts...your set is very nice and you thought the design out very nicely.

Thank you for sharing. If you put together an article for print publication, hope to hear if its a magazine I can buy. I like to save that project for rainy days...

Cerulean

Little Hare

great instructions :D

astronautica

Gorgeous! I love the roughness of it - very rustic :) And that box is fantastic! Might try it out for some of my house-less decks :)

Debra

I like it too :) I get the minors, but don't understand the majors--which is which, I mean. Is there a system in the symbols?

Metafizzypop

I'm guessing that this uses the RWS meanings.

Debra

What I mean is, how do the symbols indicate each major? I can see how the symbols show 1-10 + courts in the four suits. I'm not seeing the logic of the symbols for Magician, etc.

Metafizzypop

I see what you mean. Hmm, must be some personal esoteric system known only to but a few initiates, passed down exclusively from Aleister Crowley to his illegitimate children and some other select few. :)

Est

No way! I can make out enough of the major arcana to make sense of the few that don't make sense to me, if that makes sense... lol!

The Fool is surrounded by happy red dots... he can go anywhere; set off in any direction.

The Magician is surrounded by something of everything... all the tools at his disposal.

The HP - what a bold stroke to imply hidden depths through putting nothing on the surface! Love it!

*skipping a few*

Chariot - 4 wheels

*skipping*

WoF - you can see it turning from the asymmetrical placement of the shapes

etc, etc.

Judgement and the World probably make the least sense to me - though I guess the 4 longer lines on Judgement could be 4 graves, right? I think the World should have something of everything, or be all one thing, to show it's all/one nature.

Overall I love this!