Herkimer Diamond Mining!

Chronata

Back home now, with bags of rocks!

It was So. Much. Fun.

I have never had such a wonderful time hitting things with hammers, or digging around in the mud!

I know I promised pictures, but the laptop died somewhere in Malone, so I will have to wait until I can get them off the camera!

We entered the mine...which was really a giant pile of rocks and boulders, and were told to look for the rocks that had holes...because they were more likely to have crystals inside!

The spouse did a lot of chiseling and sledge hammering to the giant rocks, whereas I just sat quietly and looked around...and there they were!

EVERYWHERE I looked in the ground, there was a small flash of quartz! I found tons of tiny little crystals pretty much everywhere I looked! Some perfect Herkimers which were so tiny that I had to put them in ziplock bags right away, for fear of losing them!

But we also found some bigger crystals too...not as clear and perfect, but certainly amazing! There were so many rocks with the crystals just peeking out! And lots of what they call Druzy...tiny little glittering crystals in the stone.

Some were black, others were yellow...and we found some mica, calcite and other quartz as well!

I would love to do this again some day...and we would have probably been there more than the four hours if it hadn't started raining buckets(and flooding the county!)
Luckily we got out early enough that the road we were on was opened (even though almost all of Herkimer County was closed and considered an emergency zone.

I have sorted all my little crystal bits and now I will sort them again to decide which ones will be wand tips and which ones will go to friends!

Chronata

Managed to get the cord so I could post these pics from the camera!

the first one is of the tiny true herkimer diamonds...which are perfectly clear and shiny and double terminated. they are also about half the size of the fingernail on my pinkie!

the second pic is of some of the larger crystals that I found...most of the large ones have inclusions or are colored (yellow diamonds they call them!) or aren't so clearly double terminated...

The last pic is opf a splendid rock with tiny black druzy and a few little diamonds still in the rock

Attachments

• herkimer tiny .jpg
    herkimer tiny .jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 98
  • herkimers large.jpg
    herkimers large.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 100
  • herkimer druzy black.jpg
    herkimer druzy black.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 95

shelikes2read

That's amazing! :)

Where is this mine? I wonder if I can talk the hubby into a visit. We're only in PA, after all, lol. I think it'd be a 6-hour drive to get to upstate NY from here.

Briar Rose

That is amazing. The Herkimer Diamonds you got are beautiful. You did good! I love the blue one. It must have been calling you.

Falling_Star

Sounds like so much fun!!