Hermetic Tarot

SerpentaAzothi

I was wondering what those that have this deck by Godfrey Dawson think of it, I just ordered it, and I am really interested in it. Whats the comments you may have if any? Thanks.

Serpenta

mythos

Ditto .... I'm waiting for mine to arrive and I'd love to hear what those who got the first edition have to say about it.

mythos:)

SerpentaAzothi

Hi Mythos, cool your getting it too? I am excited. Hope we both like the deck looks like a gem from the outside. Anyway looking forward to what people that have it already think.

Serpenta

WolfSpirit

I have a copy from 1980. I fell in love with this deck the moment I first saw it, although it is very different from decks I normally go for. So when I found a copy I could more or less afford, I snapped it up :)

I can't really decide if it is a pretty deck or not ;) but it certainly has personality. The minors take a lot after the Thoth (especially the cups and wands), but the feel is very different. One of the reviews on Tarot Passages says it reminds of rock posters from the seventies, and I can see that.
It is not a light deck, but it certainly has a sense of humour, be it a bit of grim humour maybe.
There is an awful lot of detail in the cards, but I think you don't need to have studied every detail to be able to use the cards. There is also a lot of expression in them, and you get a feeling from them as soon as you set your eyes on them. The details are all extras and reveal different layers over time, it is a deck you don't get tired of.

I am looking forward to be able to discuss this deck on Aeclectic - so far all threads were about: how expensive is it and where can I find it ;)
Am also curious if the new edition is different from the old. I ordered a new copy as well because I have to be way too careful with my old one.
It is probably not worth much from a collectors' point of view but I intend to keep it just the same.

mythos

WolfSpirit said:
There is an awful lot of detail in the cards, but I think you don't need to have studied every detail to be able to use the cards. There is also a lot of expression in them, and you get a feeling from them as soon as you set your eyes on them. The details are all extras and reveal different layers over time, it is a deck you don't get tired of.

Yes I do, yes I do have to study every detail :D ... but that's just me. My interests, tarot-wise, are in symbolism, the Western Mystery tradition and painting cards ... and I have been hankering after this for the hermetic symbolism. It is excellent to hear that it is one of those decks that you don't get tired of. I can see that I am going to spend heaps of time with this one.

Thanks WolfSpirit :thumbsup:... my impressions of the deck, from the few images that I have seen, seem to be born out by your description. And, humour - grim or otherwise - never goes astray.

mythos:)

Abrac

The new printing of the Hermetic is out? Where can a person order one?

Abrac

Umbrae

mythos said:
Yes I do, yes I do have to study every detail :D
Get ready to spend some time with this one then...

Abrac said:
The new printing of the Hermetic is out?
YES! and it's lovely!

They even managed to match the original colors (Mwahahahahahaa).

Umbrae

Tarot Garden has it too.

Diseree

The reprint version of the Hermetic Tarot is slightly different from original. Copyright notice on the card is '(c) 1979, 2006 US Games systems, Inc'. Preface of the card is ::
"The Hermetic Tarot is now back in print in response to considerable demand."

I got it from USGS online store.