How do you focus energy for online readings?

PadmeRose

I am new to reading online (thankful for the reading exchange on AT!)- I have read "over a distance" for friends in the past, and a lot of reading in person, but not faceless online readings for 'strangers' until recently. I was wondering how others get attuned to a specific sitter in the case of online readings- often without actual names, faces, and often no idea where they are in the world! :)

My readings so far for others have been ok, but I was curious how other AT members focus their energy for an online reading. Thank you!

DownUnderNZer

Never really thought about it, but will say one thing.

I trust what I get, so that is what I give.

So, it doesnt come down to a name, age, or face for me. Dont need birthdates or a real name. Just that everyone is open and as a reader you can only work with what you get, so if a person is not exactly being truthful with a question....well....so be it.

As for energy? I dont do chants and all that mumbo jumbo, but I do respect the tools. And a good break and cuppa coffee or tea is great to rejuvinate as well.

However, I usually use Lenormand, so AT has been a great place for me to relearn tarot and get back into it so for me its an ideal place to practise amongst like minded people. :)

Aeth

It's a difficult question... I'm new to this whole thing, got my first deck in September. I've only really read 'chattily' face to face, just kind of throwing down cards in response to issues raised and just talking it through. I haven't had the opportunity to do much of it, either.

I usually have a drink to hand, whether tea or water or whatever. Not coffee, I love it but it's too much of a stimulant. I seem to do better when i'm feeling sleepy but not exhausted. Exhaustion is bad! I try and go somewhere quiet, take a few deep breaths and hold the person's username and question in my mind, while I shuffle. I nearly always close my eyes while I shuffle and try and clear my mind of everything else, and then deal out the cards and take note of my first impressions. Only after the cards are dealt, I sometimes check a profile for the gender of the person who's asking, but I don't like to read too much more than that in case I form an impression based on what I've read there.

I do feel as if actually dealing the cards is the most important part of the process; as long as I can focus on that, I don't feel as though I need nearly as much focus for writing down the actual reading. This is very different than doing it face to face, for me.

Dunno if you noticed, but I've been doing a few online Personality readings in the exchange forum... I can't help but notice that, in the absence of anything more than a username, I do seem to start out with a 'template' of me and layer everything over it until the person beneath begins to take shape on their own - they're a white British female in their late 20s until I feel I have evidence to the contrary! :D It's not deliberate - I'm just operating from a frame of reference, where there is none. Whether that's right or wrong... well, I'm inclined to say 'wrong' but I don't have a better idea how how to go about it for now, so there you go.

Anna

I don't do anything at all, I pull the cards and it all just seems to happen. Practice is the key, tons of practice and developing the confidence to saying exactly what you see.

PadmeRose

Thank you all- Aeth I do as you said, thinking of the person's name and their question while I shuffle. I try to hold them in my mind as I go through the reading.

I was always curious why so many tutorials suggest getting a birth date/ age from the person - I have never asked that when doing a reading. I suppose if you were trying to look into influences that may regard their sign/ age it may be helpful. Am I missing something?

Disa

Thank you all- Aeth I do as you said, thinking of the person's name and their question while I shuffle. I try to hold them in my mind as I go through the reading.

I was always curious why so many tutorials suggest getting a birth date/ age from the person - I have never asked that when doing a reading. I suppose if you were trying to look into influences that may regard their sign/ age it may be helpful. Am I missing something?

When I first started i would have the person type their name in Big Letters so I could get a feel for their vibe and give any intuitive info I got from it and als have them write their questions a little below their name- a clear succinct question with no background info. This would allow me to focus without any extraneous words, influences, etc.

Now I just have them ask the question and sometimes I print it out and put it on my reading table and think about the question a while before I ever start shuffling. When I do shuffle, I just keep saying the question over and over and trying to get in the zone. Once I'm in the zone the words just seem to type themselves.

I think sometimes the birthdate is just to make sure the querant is over 18.

Carla

I don't do anything at all, I pull the cards and it all just seems to happen. Practice is the key, tons of practice and developing the confidence to saying exactly what you see.

I don't do anything either, I just shuffle, draw and read them. I remind myself of the person's name and question before I start shuffling, but that's pretty much it.

DownUnderNZer

Let you in on something about BIRTHDATES.

In 2008 (I think it was that year) some lady on a different interactive website was really upset because she was...how can I put it...encouraged to part with her life savings and home by a tarot/psychic reader she trusted. A scammer you could say.

And that was when some others came forward complaining about certain reading sites and the issues they had with these particular sites and the readers....MOST readers...not all!

So, over 4 months I joined one of those sites, (a MAIN ONE), to TEST the readers and SEE what I could find out because to lose about $75,000 and a home was quite steep for a reading I thought and to remove "curses" from anyone. Downright unethical and wrong!

Anyways, I found ONE reader had about 35 different aliases from the UK which I wrote down to address at some point with whoever owned the site. I did try, but no response. Always this reader would use: "dear......" The way she went into readings was always the SAME. And I tell you now she knew who I was after some time! Always caught her out and pulled her up each time.

What I discovered in general though was ALOT of them (who worked together or had aliases) asked for BIRTHDATES which they would put into the system to find out ASTROLOGY details and so forth not to mention that ALL info was kept in a data place, so each person could access it, so no matter who read you EACH would bring up those exact details and KNOW YOUR LIFE STORY in a way that completely connected so you would think "WOW...this person knows me". ( I wasnt so easily fooled).

Maybe out of all the readers on there that were "genuine" only 3 for me were 100%. Also, they found it hard as some of the competition would put bad comments on their reviews as sitters. I did talk to a few that I thought were very on to it and this is what they shared plus alot never stayed or hardly frequented the site due to all the mayhem etc.

So, I think BIRTHDATES are for NUMEROLOGY and ASTROLOGY purposes, not to connect with a person.

GotH

Very interesting that you have posted this Padmerose. I have noticed my energy and attunement becomes a direct reflection of the energy and attunement of the person I'm exchanging with. Meaning, that I find the people I do the best exchanges with are the ones who have focused and positive energy at the time of an exchange. Negative, angry types and those who have no focus within the exchange are the types of people I just don't do well with at all. I have come to recognize a person who is feeling this way usually in the middle of an exchange and it's with these people who I don't continue to do more readings with from then on.

So with saying that, you and I recently did an exchange not long ago. It all makes sense now as to why I had a feeling of flatness within our exchange. No offense, I was just experiencing your concerns you mention in this thread. Not to worry though, it will all change with practice of course but I have to say I feel so much better now that I realize why I couldn't feel the reading like I normally would.

Thanks for communicating your feelings. It has brought me to clarity on some thoughts I had of my own.

G

Flaxen

I don't do anything either, I just shuffle, draw and read them. I remind myself of the person's name and question before I start shuffling, but that's pretty much it.

This is my approach too. I usually pick a time when I'm free from distractions and have a drink to hand, take a few deep breaths and off I go...