How do you learn to read the cards properly?

EnchantMe

Hello

I've been using Tarot cards for a while, but a never seem to be able to get a good understanding of what the cards really mean and how they relate to each other in a spread.

I refer to a couple of different books which serve as a summary and overview of each card. But each book seems to have slightly different interpretations of each card which I find a bit confusing. Also, yesterday I posted up a reading I did and asked for clarification. An obviously very experienced reader, wind, gave me the meaning of the cards - as he was right in his interpretation/the situation - and it was so much more in depth and insightful to what I thought, and what the books I had were telling me. I feel as though there is an art of a gift involved in learning how to interpret the cards and what they mean?

How do you learn it properly? Is there a certain book, or books that are the best ones to refer to? I dont seem to be able to get a proper grasp of it and am just wondering what is the best way to learn, as obviously the books I have arent much good, and I dont know anyone that can teach me.

Thanks in advance of any replies:)

ravynangel

deleted :)

nisaba

Time. Practice. Look things up. Then look at the images, and see what they remind you of, how they make you feel. Keep doing this.

It takes months to develop any confidence, and years, YEARS to become a deep reader. And the journey is the best bit! You are on your way - enjoy the ride.

wind

Hey EnchantMe:)

I am a 'she':)
Don't be too concerned with 'the how' - as people here told you, it is just a matter of practice. I have been reading tarot for 17 years - and still learning! A lot!

This is like dancing - you learn by doing it:) You develop your own style, your gestures, movements - and everyone has his or her own unique approach.

I also read books, in fact, I still enjoy reading them, but you need to have a certain distance. Every reader will read from his/her frame of mind. If there is somehting he or herself cannot grasp, he will not be able to offer an insight on that. If he sees things yellow, readings will be yellow:) So, a good and profound tarot reader is someone who has a lot of personal experience and understanding of life in general, not just of the cards. It is someone who also understand the human nature.

Read the books, explore, enjoy the adventure - and read the cards:) Then read the cards some more, and then some more:) This forum is a great place to do that - practice reading for yourself, post the readings, invite people to contribute...then, when you feel more confident, start exchanging readings here, reading for other people, and you'll see how the cards reflect the issues.

After many many years, tarot still surprises you. This is an eternal dance:)

Also, don't be too concerned with being right/wrong - human psyche and life is so complex that we can never know for sure on what level things manifest. Tarot can be very literal or just symbolic, sometimes the cards reflecting things by the pure image, sometimes by the deeper meaning...it is a flow.

But yes, good reading demands the capacity to observe the whole, the totality, not just fragments. Also, it demands the development of the so called 'symbolic thinking', which is not strictly linear, not mathematical. It moves not just linearly, but also vertically, to the depth, and also circularly, all around, seeing patterns, connections. This develops over time and experience.

Due to our upbringing and educational system, we are used to think linearly - how to get from the point A to the point B, in a straight line most preferably. So, in tarot, we tend to see the cards in a spread as 'dots' that we need to link, going from the beginning towards the end, preferably from left to right. The mind then studies one dot, then the other, moving forward...this is fine, this is a start, this is the first layer. It is absolutely needed - you need to understand the dots - the cards. So you read about them, you need to learn about them. What does 7 of wands mean, what does High Priestess mean...you need to understand them.

This is the first step. Then, you start connecting the dots - as many experienced readers suggest, start by reading only three cards together. Of course, you try all sorts of spreads and have fun with that - but do try to practice with three cards as well. Practice on everyday things - will someone visit me, will he call, will we go there for the weekend, how will my day be, etc. You can also do a daily draw.

When we connect the dots, we at first do it in a straight and linear way - we are very apprehensive to get out of the rut for which our minds have been trained for years. So, we see past on the left, future on the right, we are progressing linearly. That is fine, and perfectly correct.

But when you are comfortable with the linear connecting, the interlacing begins. Vertically and horizontally. No card is an island:) Here, readers have different techniques – and they are all fine. All readings and approaches work if you are sincere and connected with the cards.

Also, pay attention to your inner feeling, intuitive comprehension. This is another function that has been put aside in the society that insists on practical and intellectual reasoning. The intuition needs to be revived. When reading, don't do it just cerebrally, observe your whole body. Does a card evoque a nice feeling? Does it feel weak, overbearing in the spread, does it scream or it goes unnoticed?

First, it is good to notice Major-Minor cards. Are there many majors, many minors? Then, notice the elements – fire, earth, water, air. Are there many cards of the same element? Are there conflicting elements? Then look at the numbers – are some numbers repeating? Does one card stand out?
And finally, the positions in the spread, the below-above, left-right, loosen up, become fluid. As human life is: )

So, when we start to learn tarot, we usually start with the fragments, that is, individual cards, then positions in the spreads. When we get comfortable with that, when we get to know the stones (cards) we are using to play with, we need to start to understand the patterns. We start dealing with the whole. And this makes you a good reader – because a human being and his story is a whole, and things are interconnected. How to learn the 'whole'? First, by deepening your own whole, your own comprehension of life, but on the practical level, by observing the basic material: elements, numbers, majors, minors. And see how they cohabitate:)
As with the colours in life: there are only three basic colours, the rest are just the variants. Tarot has its own basic ingredients that mingle and mix and tell stories - elements, numbers, majors, minors, courts. It is in fact quite simple - and very complex at the same time, as all profound issues in life are paradoxical.

So, just enjoy and play:) By doing it, slowly a new door opens in the mind, and things start to click and come together.

Chimera Dust

Practice :) That's the short answer.

My longer answer is a bit more detailed. When you're doing a reading, try to do it yourself first, and only then compare your answers to the books you've been reading.

As to reconciling seemingly contradictory interpretations of a card, when comparing between your own take and that of books, or between books, it might help to ask yourself a few questions. Why did you/the authors interpret the card this way? Are these interpretations really contradictory or just different sides of the same thing? How could this vary between scenarios?

When it comes to remembering the meanings, I have a more detailed post about my own experience and advice in my blog (it's in the contact section of my profile). I personally suggest trying to find patterns and a system to the Tarot (for example, what a certain suit usually refers to, what certain numbers tend to indicate, and what a combination of those would mean), as well as using the cards to form a story of sorts. However, it all comes down to your own learning style.

As a starting point, AT's own card meanings section is pretty ok, though of course, I always recommend finding books to expland on that. I don't know which books to suggest, because there are so many, that it comes down to your own personal preferences. You could take a look at reviews here on this forum and elsewhere. Try to find books that take an approach you like or are interested in. Amazon's "look inside" feature and Google Books usually let you preview the book so you can have an idea of what it's like before buying it.As you move along, you can start expanding to books that aren't necessarily in line with your opinions, but which may challenge you.

jema

If you view the cards as a book, then you just keep reading it and after you read it a hundred times you will get to know it.
I think for beginners, stick to one main deck and learn it really well before branching out and getting other decks.
I went a few years with only 3 decks and when I did readings I picked out the cards from the other decks and laid them out beside the original deck and just poured over it, noted similarities and differences. wrote my own little tarot book with meanings from those 3 decks. Some cards had like 3 pages of keywords and as time went on I settled on just what was right for me.

So invest in a little notebook (with at least 200 pages) one 'main' deck and maybe only 1 or 2 extra decks to compare with.

(My decks were a Fournier Marseille, a mini Rider waith smith and a hanson-roberts)

PAMUYA

Time. Practice. Look things up. Then look at the images, and see what they remind you of, how they make you feel. Keep doing this.

It takes months to develop any confidence, and years, YEARS to become a deep reader. And the journey is the best bit! You are on your way - enjoy the ride.

Ditto.... you must go through the journey, and practice.

canid

It does take years. But Tarot Tells the Tale by James Ricklef may give you a jump-start. He uses cards as they should be read; very fluid. There are also many combinations in Tarot for the Green Witch by Ann Moura. At least half of the book is devoted to combinations/relationships between all the cards & is quite extensive because of the cross-referencing. However, it's almost like LWB meanings; they're not set in stone & you first probably need a good grasp of each card's energy & the many ways they can effect each other. Hundreds, & that's just with two cards. That doesn't happen overnight.

Chiska

Sometimes it takes just putting the books aside. With me, it took finding a deck that made sense to me (Mythic Tarot). As a child, all I ever read were books on Greek mythology. Here, finally, was a deck with characters and situation about which I had some sort of back-story. I couldn't relate to the Rider Waite deck at all. Still can't. But after working with a deck that made sense and then going on to study other aspects (numbers, etc.) it became easier to work with the cards.

Now, there are those who would say that I don't read properly. But who cares. Sometimes, I just look at the picture and the whole meaning comes clear. Other times, it is not quite as intuitive.

Just cut yourself some slack and try some different decks / systems. I don't do well with Rider Waite, and prefer a mash up of Thoth, Golden Dawn, Marseilles, and Pythagorian numerology and straight intuitive readings. It works for me. Find what works for you! :)

Mercury066

It's important to understand that everyone can learn Tarot. You do not have to been born a special way to be able to read the cards. However, you must at the same time learn to read them. This will take time and practice. You will get frustrated sometimes but if you really do enjoy the journey you will practice more everyday. You will develop a deep affection with the cards that is usually difficult to put into words.
Y
Read the books. They are important. You can´t enter a forest you do not know without a map. However, draw a card before going to bed at the end of the day, (this is my favorite time in the day to do it, maybe your's is different, and that's fine!) and relate what your impressions with how you are feeling, recent events, thoughts that worry you, something you are anxiously hoping for, etc. There is not a correct way to read a card and a wrong way. You will understand this the longer you travel the wonderful journey Tarot can give you. It is truly something worth doing with affection.

Mercury066