How I got started.

Sinta

How do you start?

Okay, I might be a bit new to tarot and most likely will not be creating a deck until I am satisfied that I am experienced enough, but I would like to know how one would start.

Artistic skills, i have plenty. I've been an artist all my life and still when I have time, I indulge myself and play with the oils on canvas. So there's no problem there. I also have a faint idea what kind of deck I'll make.

Is there anything else? What materials do you use? Is there anything about legalities or copyrights that have to be known?

:) Thanks for any feedback.

moonman

Go!

Hi Sinta,

It sounds like your in the same boat as me.

I spent a lot of time doing research and brainstorming to find what I liked, what I wanted my cards to say, what would make my cards different from the ones out there etc.

I have only designed one card but I'm very pleased with it and I can see from what I have designed will be consistant through out the deck.

Don’t worry too much about copyright etc. before you start otherwise you will never start, that’s enough to put anyone off getting started. I would post all designs etc. to yourself for the meantime.

I would say just start of with concept boards by collecting things that you like even if it's not related to tarot, then stick them down on paper. Then pick out what you like most to see if that would work. I would just go for it!! PUT THOSE IDEAS ON TO PAPER it makes it more real.

Also just choose what you like working with the best i.e computer, painting, pastels drawing as there is no set rule. Don’t make excuses not to get started as that’s what I’m good at as that’s only flushing your talent down the toilet.

One other thing is to enjoy it!!!!!

Oh yeah you can always ask the Publishers for a template and submission guidelines, even if your not even thinking of getting them published this will save some time.

Also it helps if you have some feed back, even if you have only done a few cards. You don’t have to put them on a website if you don’t want to, you can just show them to your friends.

Anyway I don’t want to sound like a nagg queen but I’m sure your in the right place to get started. You can always mail me. :)

Good luck

kayne

Excellent advice Moonman!

I would say - work with what you are most comfortable with, for sure! Also, the way I really learnt tarot was by designing my own deck. It was before I discovered the interenet so I bought about 6 books on tarot and there meanings from Riderwaite, Thoth and Marseilles perspectives and read up on the meanigns as I went, thinking about different ways that meaning could be represented and reflected in the card. For me, the meanign is the most important thing. I don't like decks that seem to just have any old picture because of tradition or the artist just happened to like it. Meaning comes first... but that's just me. So - if you don't want/have heeps of books there are plenty of sites online to help you with the meanings too.

And... what Moonman said: JUST GO FOR IT!!!!! :TFOOL

Sinta

Thank you so much for the wonderful advice and support :) No doubt I'll try my hand at it... and yes to me the meaning is also the most important part of the card... the imagery has to have something to do with the meaning or it won't strike me greatly...

that's why i still like my rider waite deck ^_^

I'll try and put up some practice drawings on them soon! At least now i know where to go for advice and reviews

Major Tom

I'm definitely with my friend Kayne about the meanings being important. :)

Creating a deck can also be a way to learn meanings. Do it a card at a time. Don't try to rush. Pick a card - any card. Learn what it means from as many sources as you feel necessary - until you know that card. Create your own version of the card. Repeat 78 times. })

And again echoing Kayne: Just do it!

Sinta

Thanks for the advice Major Tom ^_^ It seems everyone says I should just go for it, so I might as well. It might also help me understand Tarot more too. I have had a few revelations in this board, so I'm sure I'll make sure the cards would have different meanings in different perspectives ^_^

Laurel

Ravenswing and I are collaborating on a deck- he's an amazing artist. I'm doing a lot of the visualization of what should be there, but he's the one bringing it all to life. He's also so energetic and enthusiastic that he motivates me when I feel lazy. :) Maybe teaming up with someone will also help you Sinta.

Laurel

Sinta

Laurel said:
Maybe teaming up with someone will also help you Sinta.

What a wonderful idea! I think I just might ask my lover(also a tarot reader) if he would like to. Of course we might have different taste, but I believe he can equivocate us both... he's good at that ;)

Cerulean

Everyone here has more than a few tarot art decks in them...at the moment, my small suggestions...

You might want to list or sketch the majors first in the theme that you choose, then use the elements/suits/minors to explore the main characters that emerge. A storyboard approach works, as if it was a graphic novel or film. I have a main storyboard of 78 scenes outlined, each using an element from an imaginary myth.

In my case I took elements to assemble a mythical scene: For example in one scene, Hiroshige's art (Wave off of Kanagawa) and Japanese motifs surround my name and family crest and grandparent's former locations. But these are tiny details that are in a blurred background ---I found either snippets from art prints or details from rubber stamps. Then I took period photographs and merged the figures in drawings that I did over the background, so this became an original scene that is 'likely' to echo the period, but never happened. The final color scan/copied merging is only on paper, and I use segments of the scene in other cards.

I found a historical story of an Italian photographer who married a Japanese merchant's daughter---the marriage failed and the woman did live on, but sadly in the only way she could. Anyway, I merged that historical story with my own family characters who merged across cultures throughout 2002.

My tarocchi and art book collection mirrors or has snapshots from the time periods, so as my story scenes unfold across the minors in a sketchy mix of photos, line drawings and painted scenes like a scrapbook. I'm working in with experiments from art classes...the final scenes will probably be paintings and the myths that work as a background are similar to folktales in Japan and Italy...except in truth.

Best wishes,

Mari H.

blue_fusion

Mari_Hoshizaki said:
Everyone here has more than a few tarot art decks in them...at the moment, my small suggestions...

You might want to list or sketch the majors first in the theme that you choose, then use the elements/suits/minors to explore the main characters that emerge. A storyboard approach works, as if it was a graphic novel or film. I have a main storyboard of 78 scenes outlined, each using an element from an imaginary myth.

In my case I took elements to assemble a mythical scene: For example in one scene, Hiroshige's art (Wave off of Kanagawa) and Japanese motifs surround my name and family crest and grandparent's former locations. But these are tiny details that are in a blurred background ---I found either snippets from art prints or details from rubber stamps. Then I took period photographs and merged the figures in drawings that I did over the background, so this became an original scene that is 'likely' to echo the period, but never happened. The final color scan/copied merging is only on paper, and I use segments of the scene in other cards.

I found a historical story of an Italian photographer who married a Japanese merchant's daughter---the marriage failed and the woman did live on, but sadly in the only way she could. Anyway, I merged that historical story with my own family characters who merged across cultures throughout 2002.

My tarocchi and art book collection mirrors or has snapshots from the time periods, so as my story scenes unfold across the minors in a sketchy mix of photos, line drawings and painted scenes like a scrapbook. I'm working in with experiments from art classes...the final scenes will probably be paintings and the myths that work as a background are similar to folktales in Japan and Italy...except in truth.

Best wishes,

Mari H.

ooh. i'd love to see your deck. by any chance, do you have samples online?