How to choose my first deck

TrinaBeana87

Hello everyone! I am new to Tarot and have been barrowing my friends Rider-Waite deck. What's the best way to pick my first deck? Online? At a store? What type of deck...ect. I want to do know all I can before I choose my first cards.

Ica'rus

It is up to you where you prefer to purchase it from. There are two stores in my area and they carry an extremely limited supply of decks. The one I wanted when I first picked up a deck (RWS) wasn't available and so I ordered it online. I managed to find Thoth at one of the other ones and picked it up there. I do generally prefer to support local stores. But many of the decks I have purchased recently are only available from specific sites online.

If you've been using RWS and you like it id say that's as good of a place as any to start! Make sure it speaks to you as others have mentioned. There are all kinds of decks. I started with RWS and still enjoy it, and am trying to learn as much as I can even though since then I have picked up 6 or 7 different tarot decks. I bought each for something I am attracted about them. They each speak a little bit differently.

Pauline Kilar

I started with the Sharman-Caselli "Beginners" deck which is beautiful and traditional, but I find it to be a bit lacking in depth.

If I could go back in time and completely start over, I would get a Rider-Waite-Smith deck. This deck is fundamental to understanding a lot of modern decks, and the images are simple enough to read fairly easily while still having enough detail to be evocative.

Pauline Kilar

Oh, and at a store if you can! Whenever possible (which ends up being almost weekly, LOL), I support my local magic shop. Brick-and-mortar stores depend on your business, and your local occult bookstore can be a good place to browse decks and chat with friendly people.

BeyondtheVeil

TrinaBeana87

Hello everyone! I am new to Tarot and have been barrowing my friends Rider-Waite deck. What's the best way to pick my first deck? Online? At a store? What type of deck...ect. I want to do know all I can before I choose my first cards.

The best way to choose a tarot deck is to look around, online and/or at stores, and find a deck that "calls" to you. What I mean is, you will find one that you seem drawn to. We have a section here on Tarot Decks {at the right top corner of your screen} where you can look at some scans of some cards. Since you are new, I would try to stick with a Rider-Waite clone, but not necessarily the RW deck. I have variations of it, but can't read with the Rider-Waite. Weird, but true. lol

I started with RobinWood and the Hanson-Roberts. You should find a deck/theme that you like and then try it out. You can always trade them if you find you don't connect.

Good luck! Happy Tarot Searching!! :heart:
BeyondtheVeil

BeyondtheVeil

Oh, and at a store if you can! Whenever possible (which ends up being almost weekly, LOL), I support my local magic shop. Brick-and-mortar stores depend on your business, and your local occult bookstore can be a good place to browse decks and chat with friendly people.

Definitely! :thumbsup: Especially if they are the magic/new age shops. We don't have any here anymore and I truly enjoyed going there to buy my decks, incense, and talking to the owner. She had some great recommendations along with having most of the decks she sold, out to look through the entire deck before buying. That is definitely something I miss.

BTV

Grizabella

My advice is to start with Rider Waite. Buy that deck first---or Sharman Casselli or Universal Waite. Then if you still feel like you HAVE to have another deck, you could buy one that you're drawn to to "graduate" to when you've learned RW.

My reason for suggesting this is that if you buy some other deck----something that's got a cute theme, for instance---and you learn to read with that deck, then you just mostly know how to read with that particular deck. However, if you get the Rider Waite and learn it, then you'll be able to read with hundreds of its clones with very little problem.

Eremita90

Maybe you could browse the internet a little bit and jot down the names of the decks that appeal to you the most at first glance. Just keep in mind (I know it from experience) that a deck which you find beautiful is not necessarily a deck which you will be at ease reading with :) I certainly don't want to discourage you, but sometimes it takes some tries to find the right deck to actually get started. For me it was hard at first, but be persistent and eventually you will find the right deck for you, just do not be anxious :D

cSpaceDiva

I think it's funny that you're already calling it your "first" deck. When I got my first deck, I had no idea that there would be others. This is not a criticism, I love having lots of decks! My thinking at the time was, this looks like a good deck to learn with, it has words on the cards that tell you what they mean (Tarot of the Spirit). I also got the substantial companion book and soon found out that there is a lot more to it than the one or two words on each card. Maybe I should have started with a more traditional or "beginner's" deck, but I'm not sure that would have kept my interest. I think it was the idea that there was so much mystery and depth that made me keep digging.

All this means, I don't know what to tell you. My advice is, don't stress out about finding the one perfect deck, because it sounds like you'll be getting more anyway. })

GlitterNova

I agree that it's important to first get a handle on the RWS imagery before learning a new deck. Not necessarily because those images are 'better' per se, but because so many other decks base their cards on the RWS. Having a solid knowledge of the RWS will make it much easier to learn and understand other decks. Now, I'm not saying you have to *buy* a RWS deck. I was able to learn (at least to a functional degree) the RWS by studying the card images online and with youtube videos. Once I actually bought my first deck (the Paulina Deck) I already had a general understanding of the RWS images.

As for picking out your first non-RWS deck, I recommend browsing Aeclectic Tarot's huge list of decks. Don't be too concerned with which decks are for beginners or not...instead look for decks with imagery that connects with you. See if you can find one that you feel is visually appealing and interesting. In other words, one that you won't find boring after staring at for hours!