How to find like minded individuals

KMilliron

Where do you find people that are also into tarot? I've managed to "recruit" a couple of people, all through band practice. Different band practices, different bands, and not all of the new recruits were even with the band. Just wondering where you guys find and/or recruit like minded people, other than AT and tarot shops.

Le Fanu

Here is enough to be honest. A few peole have percolated into my life who quite like tarot but none as obsessive as me :D.

I'm always happy to talk about tarot with people who are interested or have a few decks or vaguely know something. But for seriously good quality tarot conversation, only here I'm afraid...

But I tend to think of tarot as quite a solitary interest; me, my cards and I. When I get an afternoon to myself (not often), there's nothing I like more than to be alone with my decks spread out, rummaging in my tarot chests, setting up a reading table with candles and rocks and wands and lighting the incense, pot of tea, drawing cards, reflecting, pondering. Oh bliss!

sitna

What do you mean with band practices?

I do feel that like minded people attract each other, and you might not know immediately but in time it shows they are rather open minded and spiritual, or still in a get to know that psychic side. There are quite some people at work that turned out to be like that. My boss turned out to have that side, and in his time he has hired two people, me and a colleague who is very spiritual. Of course we didn't know back than, so I do sense we sort of attract. I get that more and more, also with friends. I don't have to look for them, they end up being around.

KMilliron

What do you mean with band practices?

EX- The vocalists of the band learned tarot from me. I'm not familiar with the town so I was surprised to learn we've been practicing next door to a church.
Me: They aren't going to get mad are they?
Vocalist: As long as we aren't practicing 10am on Sunday we should be fine.
Guitarist: There's another church over there *points* and an abandoned one over there *points*
Vocalist: Again, no practicing 10am on Sundays, or breaking into the abandoned one to paint our faces and read tarot cards.
Drummer's GF: Dude, if I had a deck of cards, I would so learn tarot. Not break into a church, but I would definitely learn tarot. Face painting sounds fun too. [Vocalist] do you know anyone that does tarot?
Vocalist: *points to bassist, aka me*

That's just kinda how it works. Word of mouth, and since my mouth can be found at band practice that's kinda how it goes down.

Amanda

To be honest, I haven't really looked. My Mom and Dad both showed interest in the cards and I gave them both a deck that I ended up getting back (gave Dad the Gilded, Mom the Tarot Nova). LOL So it was interesting just enough, and they find it interesting that I do it, but weren't really interested in learning it themselves... husband also- bought himself a Da Vinci deck once, but then never used it. LOL

However, I was just drug out of the house last night by my Mom to visit with some family I haven't really socialized with in a while... and they invited me to an 'end of the year' party right before Halloween. And they know tons of people... like, so many people that they sometimes charge a fee to get on their property so people can do mud-runs and stuff. LOL So, I'm seriously considering taking a deck (maybe the Halloween?) to that party I've been invited to. Maybe I'll get some recruitments/interest there.

gregory

Where do you find people that are also into tarot? I've managed to "recruit" a couple of people, all through band practice. Different band practices, different bands, and not all of the new recruits were even with the band. Just wondering where you guys find and/or recruit like minded people, other than AT and tarot shops.

I've physically met a few people from here - you'll find some who live near you if you look, or you could try for a meet-up. OR - I know of people who googled and found tarot groups in their area.

One person on another forum just moved to a very small new village and took her baby out in its stroller; met another mom doing the same and within half an hour, they found they were both into tarot. Serendipity works too. I happen by chance to have such a neighbour - in the deepest deep of out in the sticks of the UK. And I met one at a tarot exhibition - so watch for those.

And of course - you can try hanging out in the MBS sections of bookstores.... many who are interested do visit those :D

Grizabella

Put an ad on craigslist. You can find some there. Depending on where you live, you might find lots of them that way.

KMilliron

Put an ad on craigslist. You can find some there. Depending on where you live, you might find lots of them that way.

That's how I found my current bandmates ;D Very useful that Craigslist.

Bhavana

Here is enough to be honest. A few peole have percolated into my life who quite like tarot but none as obsessive as me :D.

I'm always happy to talk about tarot with people who are interested or have a few decks or vaguely know something. But for seriously good quality tarot conversation, only here I'm afraid...

But I tend to think of tarot as quite a solitary interest; me, my cards and I. When I get an afternoon to myself (not often), there's nothing I like more than to be alone with my decks spread out, rummaging in my tarot chests, setting up a reading table with candles and rocks and wands and lighting the incense, pot of tea, drawing cards, reflecting, pondering. Oh bliss!

ohhh, how I'd love to come over and keep you company while you are doing all this...I have one tarot friend who doesn't live close by - other than that, the only one interested in seeing and playing with my tarot decks is my little niece!

Bhavana

And of course - you can try hanging out in the MBS sections of bookstores.... many who are interested do visit those :D

gregory, this is so true - but be careful - there are some straaaange people out there !