I Trionfi origins?

Tzeenj

Hello!

I'm Tzeenj. Just joined recently. Currently involved in some investigations in to the origins of the Tarot. Got a series of questions which I'll post one at a time so as not to bombard the list too horribly.

Question the First:

1.) Following up on Moakley's theory (I know she really didn't posit a direct one-for-one connection as some sources claim, I just want to look in to cultural stuff for the purposes of this question, not the merits of the theory itself)

- can anyone point me in the direction of any resource that goes in to the source of the symbolism in Petrarch's "I Trionfi"? (followup: would this have anything to do with his association with the Fedeli D'Amore?). The existence of Basil Valentine's "Triumphal Chariot of Antimony" seems to imply that such imagery formed part of a cultural motif at the time. (I would dearly love to find a connection between Tarot and Alchemical emblematic imagery but such seems unlikely).

Pax, Liscentia, Felix,
Tzeenj

Huck

http://trionfi.com

Trionfi.com points occasionally to the condition, that the fact "The cards were called Trionfi cards" and the general 15th/16th century Italian preference for triumphal festivities including a triumphal march just appear and develop around the same time - since ca. 1440.

As it seems, at the same time appeared a general increased public attention for Petrarca's Trionfi, also as a theme for iconographical presentations or book-painting (since 1441).

So all 3 objects (Trionfi as public show, Trionfi as Petrarca's poem with specific illustrations and Trionfi as cards) develop together - relative precisely after the council of Ferrara and Florence (1438/39), which knew some great public shows with religious content and another great public event in Oktober 1441: Milan and Venice made a great peace (although of not much endurance) after a rather hot war and this was somehow merged and celebrated with the marriage of Francesco Sforza and Bianca Maria Visconti.

In the courtly life of this time playings cards were a women object (or for very young persons) - real men prefered chess ... this somehow degrading state for playing cards changed ca. 1470 (In Savoy in 1430 it was forbidden for men to play cards ... only they were allowed to play cards with women). Cards had (at the courts) "erotical meaning" and were a natural tool in the necessary "courting ritual" and so they served, that men and young girls had with the cards a legal and accepted way to have some closer moments and to know each other.

It seems, that Trionfi cards developed to be and were for some time a specific object for the bride at the wedding ...

... and so the cards developed in their first steps (in which - often expressed opinion at Trionfi.com, although there are also other opinions - the cards hadn't a definite state as 21 trumps, 1 Fool and the specific motifs "as we know them" - this "fixed state" of the game developed later).

As the wedding generally was a "triumphal occasion" with much celebration it's not very surprizing, that both objects got the same name - the name just developed innocently and perhaps without intention. The preference for "Petrarca's Trionfi" at the same time somehow has a logical coincidence and is naturally related ... but it seems not possible to state a hierarchical causal structure between the 3 Trionfi objects in the historical time, they just appear together and have some public attention at the same time.

Tzeenj

Trionfi.com points occasionally to the condition, that the fact "The cards were called Trionfi cards" and the general 15th/16th century Italian preference for triumphal festivities including a triumphal march just appear and develop around the same time - since ca. 1440.

Do we know what sparked this?

event in Oktober 1441: Milan and Venice made a great peace (although of not much endurance) after a rather hot war and this was somehow merged and celebrated with the marriage of Francesco Sforza and Bianca Maria Visconti.

So what do we know of the evolution of this to the Visconti-Sforza deck, if any such thing happened?

Cards had (at the courts) "erotical meaning" and were a natural tool in the necessary "courting ritual" and so they served, that men and young girls had with the cards a legal and accepted way to have some closer moments and to know each other.

Interesting- that I hadn't seen mention of before.

... and so the cards developed in their first steps (in which - often expressed opinion at Trionfi.com, although there are also other opinions - the cards hadn't a definite state as 21 trumps, 1 Fool and the specific motifs "as we know them" - this "fixed state" of the game developed later).

What would be a good resource for info on the development to the 21 standard?

Or maybe that would make a better question unto itself...?

The preference for "Petrarca's Trionfi" at the same time somehow has a logical coincidence and is naturally related ... but it seems not possible to state a hierarchical causal structure between the 3 Trionfi objects in the historical time, they just appear together and have some public attention at the same time.

No sort of classical revival sparking interest in the Roman Triumph, adapted to allegorical imagery by Petrarch (possibly from the Fedeli D'Amore?) leading to the Trionfi cards taking up the motifs?

Io Phanes,
Tzeenj

Huck

Tzeenj said:

Do we know what sparked this?

Triumphal events needed a peace or a victory or a marriage or "birth of a heir" or "general glamour" - and naturally some money.

There was a Trionfo of Filippo Maria Visconti in June 1425, likely responding to a Trionfo-similar spectacle in Naples in 1423, made by Alfonso V. of Aragon and the Queen of Naples (Alfonso became official heir of the Queen ... at the same time his oldest son Ferrante was born, his heir; so likely a "birth-of-a-heir"-event mainly.

Alfonso came from Spain and likely imported "a little more glamour" as was common in Italy. So the fame reached Filippo Maria Visconti, who had recovered the dukedom from the Milanese trouble after his father's death. Filippo Maria Visconti had special difficulties with women - but in April 1425 he got a daughter, though illegitime, Bianca Maria Visconti, later wife of Francesco Sforza (at least he became sure by this, that he could have children).
And around this time Filippo made a peace treaty with the emperor after a short war before. Generally Filippo was at his height, never he had a better and more successful moment than this year 1425.

He made a Trionfo in June 1425 and it is suspected by us, that the Michelino deck was produced at this time and for this moment. Then the custom "Trionfo accompanied by a Trionfi deck" occurred perhaps for the first time then.
http://trionfi.com/0/b/

Short after this the series of the Venetian-Milanese wars started. In the time till 1441 "great moments" were rare. Filippo married, but actually he was desinterested in the bride and the marriage was only a political move. The Emperor came, but Filippo feared a treacherous act and avoided to meet him.
Alfonso of Aragon became his prisoner in 1435 and Filippo enjoyed his presence. But also no moment for a Trionfo. Generally one has to suspect, that the wars had taken too much money.

1441 was the great moment, and the marriage was related to a great peace between Milan/Venice after a long war - but Filippo avoided to visit the wedding. But the marriage lasted a few weeks.

Contemporary to 1425/Milan we find in Ferrara a few notes about money spend for playing cards (1422 - 1424). It's relatively clear, that the interests of the young signora stand behind this activities, Parisina Malatesta. Here the connection "playing cards were for young women" or for kids (in noble circles) becomes apparent. Parisina was killed cause of adultery in 1425, in time rather parallel to Filippo's Trionfo. After her death there are no playing card notes in Ferrara, they reappear, when the many daughters of Parisina's husband Niccolo d'Este started to marry.
http://trionfi.com/0/d/

Triumphal occasions reappeared with the Council of Ferrara/Florence 1438/39, especially in Florence. This were (still) more or less religious festivities, but it seems, that these shows reached new dimensions against things, which happened before. Generally the council had a great value for the advances in literature, cause it combined with the import of texts, which had survived in Konstantinople. These texts did lead to activities of the professional writers and copyists. In Florence 1444 cause of this raised interests the first public library opened and 1447 a new pope was elected, who became famous for his increased engagement in literature and books, Nikolaus V.

This whole time is somehow influenced by Pope Eugen (1431 - 1447), first by his degraded state and later by his successes.

since 1431 - conflicts with the council of Basel, which result in the election of a counter pope
1434 Pope Eugen had to flee from Rome
after some time Pope Eugen had his major place in Florence, generally a very good condition for the Florentine merchants
The trouble in Rome is solved in long years and bloody wars (ca. 1440)

This pope Eugen had a stronghold in the Franciscans and the Franciscans Bernhard of Siena and Capistranus got fame as preachers against playing cards. Logically we find during the influence of Eugen in Florence a stronger prohibition against cards in Florence.

In Milan Filippo Maria Visconti is on the side of his father-in-law, the counter-pope Felix, who had his stronghold in German countries. Logically we find less prohibitive states against playing cards in the northern Milan.

From 1444 - 1447 we have the very successful period of Pope Eugen ... somehow logical we don't find playing cards notes even in Ferrara. In 1445 in Paris even the feasts of Fools (old custom, connected to playing cards) was prohibited.

Nontheless the Trionfo movement (without cards) took further steps:
1441: It's observable, that literature in Florence develops (poetical contest organised by Alberti). This seems to be corelated to a new interest in Petrarca, who in 1441 "100 years before" became poetus laureatus. In the year in 1441 another Italian became poetus laureatus, Enea Piccolomini, first on the side of the council, then as secretary of the Emperor the man, who manages Pope Eugen's victory. Likely this title and the poetical contest in Florence are corelated in some way.
In this year 1441 it's observable, that the interest in Petrarca's poem is raised. Somehow involved as a sponsor is Pietro de Medici (son of Cosimo), who somehow becomes the heir of his uncle Lorenzo (died in this time), who had engaged in literature and the Florence university.
In the following 20 years a lot of "Petrarca's Trionfi motifs" appear in the Florentine art.

1442: Alfonso of Aragon decides the conflict about Naples to his favour, Rene of Anjou leaves the country. In 1443 this victory is celebrated and as figures in the triumphal march appear allegorical persons, which we later find on Tarot cards.
Much later ... after the Trionfi movement really had become a more used custom around 1449/1450 ... Alfonso of Aragon started to build a triumphal arch to memorate this earlier event. The building (1452 - 1464) was finished long after his death (1458)

event in Oktober 1441: Milan and Venice made a great peace (although of not much endurance) after a rather hot war and this was somehow merged and celebrated with the marriage of Francesco Sforza and Bianca Maria Visconti.

So what do we know of the evolution of this to the Visconti-Sforza deck, if any such thing happened?

It's assumed, that the Cary-Yale fragment was made for this occasion, the marriage between Bianca Maria Visconti and Francesco Sforza.
A document exists from 1.1.1441 (before the marriage), in which Bianca Maria gets 14 pictures (figure) in a very special moment in Ferrara - likely these objects were playing cards or cards or paintings, which should prepare a marriage deck.

Cards had (at the courts) "erotical meaning" and were a natural tool in the necessary "courting ritual" and so they served, that men and young girls had with the cards a legal and accepted way to have some closer moments and to know each other.

Interesting- that I hadn't seen mention of before.
Naturally this is is not definitely stated by a document, but one can read this from details in playing card research. For instance there are astonishing many pictures with female players generally in the contemporary art. There is a garden-of-love-picture, in which six pairs eat, drink, dance, play with cards, make music together and in the final sixth scene we see the young man at the feets of the young woman. Well ... that was the courting ritual and cards were a part of it.
One should see, that normally the women had a room to eat for themselves .. at least we know this from the Sforza castle in Galeazzo Maria's time, in which interestingly "the room, where the women eat", was decorated with a fresco with card players (not the "room, where the men eat"). Galeazzo also played occasionally cards, but his major expensive interests were tennis, hunting, jousts, chess and his musicians. "Card playing" was a cheap luxury in comparition.

Cards were for the women. It seems, that this behaviour changed in the 70's of 15th century, then we find also stronger participance of male players. Generally it's observable, that Italian women liberation made some advances in 15th century. French women liberation had a stronger development before (for instance Christine de Pizan)

What would be a good resource for info on the development to the 21 standard?
http://trionfi.com
especially
http://trionfi.com/0/f

It's a "theory in progress", so there is not really a finshed article. The general name is "5x14-theory", cause the fragment of the Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo-Tarocchi is interpreted in the theory as an original 5x14-deck plus 6 "later added" cards made by a second painter.

Arguments are:
There is no real evidence, that the later structure existed at the beginning. Instead we have other numbers mentioned in context of the early Trionfi cards: 16 and 14

* Michelino deck ca. 1425: 16 trumps, motifs are Greek gods

* Cary-Yale (likely 1441): 11 trumps are surviving, these 11 trumps are arrangeable in a pattern with 16 trumps; this pattern assumes an involvement of Petrarca's Trionfi poem and a second influence of chess iconography

* document "14 figure" at 1.1.1441 in Bianca Maria context

* document Marcello letter, who regards the unusual Michelino deck as a Trionfi deck (November 1449)

* Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo deck - it's obvious, that this deck was made by painters, parting the deck in a group with 70 (or 68, 2 are lost) cards and "6 additional cards, probable production date ca. 1452

* document Ferrara, Galeazzo visit, 1457 ... the document describes the production of 2 Trionfi decks with 70 cards ... which would fit a 5x14-deck
Or maybe that would make a better question unto itself...?

* Charles VI cards - 16 trumps and one court cards ... by recent research this deck is given to Florence, and it is suspected by Trionfi.com members, that the 16 trumps present a complete trump set of a deck made ca. 1463 in the circle of the young Lorenzo de Medici ... similarities between these 16 trumps and the reconstruction of the Cary-Yale are recognizable, likely also this deck followed chess-iconography

* It's assumed by members of Trionfi.com, that the deck type with 21 trumps plus Fool developed ca. 1468 or little before and that the full standardization evolved in the 70's of 15th century. Generally it's assumed, that the first phase of Trionfi card production naturally demanded creativity and not standardization and that the cards were objects for "high cycles only"

Standardization was the natural result of mass-production and woodcut use.

The preference for "Petrarca's Trionfi" at the same time somehow has a logical coincidence and is naturally related ... but it seems not possible to state a hierarchical causal structure between the 3 Trionfi objects in the historical time, they just appear together and have some public attention at the same time.

No sort of classical revival sparking interest in the Roman Triumph, adapted to allegorical imagery by Petrarch (possibly from the Fedeli D'Amore?) leading to the Trionfi cards taking up the motifs?

I don't understand this question precisely.

Tzeenj

]Triumphal events needed a peace or a victory or a marriage or "birth of a heir" or "general glamour" - and naturally some money.

<snip v. interesting history>

That part I knew. I'd meant to ask what started the idea of the events- the revival of the Triumph in that time period (do I recall correctly that a Classical revival took place then? Did this also tie in with a resurgence in Neoplatonic thought?).

Also- do we know what sparked the resurgence of interest in I Trionfi itself?

He made a Trionfo in June 1425 and it is suspected by us, that the Michelino deck was produced at this time and for this moment.

I'll dedicate a separate qustion to that one.

Seen that article but thanx for the link!

<snip more kewl historical background- thanx!>

In 1445 in Paris even the feasts of Fools (old custom, connected to playing cards) was prohibited.

How does the Feast of Fools tie in with playing cards?

In this year 1441 it's observable, that the interest in Petrarca's poem is raised.

Why did interest rise at that time?

In 1443 this victory is celebrated and as figures in the triumphal march appear allegorical persons, which we later find on Tarot cards.

So, did the allegorical figures initially derive from I Trioni and develop from there?

Did Petrarch draw on a source for his imagery?

Where did these figures come from in the first place?

For instance there are astonishing many pictures with female players generally in the contemporary art. There is a garden-of-love-picture,

<snip>

And thank you very much for elaborating on this part. I appreciate it. :)

Boiardo poem- got a note for this? Someone else on another forum mentioned two poems but refused to tell me which poems he referred to.

"5x14-theory",

Ah- I've seen that on the Trionfi site, and do find it an interesting theory.

* Michelino deck ca. 1425: 16 trumps, motifs are Greek gods

I'll post a separate question about that soon enough.

* Cary-Yale
* Pierpont-Morgan-Bergamo deck

and likely cover those when I post about the evolution of the Major Arcana.

* Charles VI cards -

And I've argued with a certain author on this one elsewhere.

. Generally it's assumed, that the first phase of Trionfi card production naturally demanded creativity and not standardization and that the cards were objects for "high cycles only"

which makes perfect sense.

I don't understand this question precisely.

I understand- it really came out more as a brain-dump than anything else. More the e-mail equivalent of thinking out loud. I already addressed more of the points above, but I'll dissect and clarify.

I'd wondered about the revival of the Triumph resulting from a revival of Classical ideas, coupled with a revival of interest in Petrarch's poem leading to the cards, and what, if anything at all, may tie them together aside from the common Triumphal image. I'd also wondered about the source of Petrarch's imagery- whether or not it had anything to do with his ties to the Fedeli D'Amore, and if this had anything to do with the Florentine Academy (with its own Neoplatonic revival) as Ficino knew of the Fedeli
(admittedly the Ficino angle is a bit of a stretch if taken anywhere beyond the overall cultural context but I thought I'd throw that in anyways).

And then the resultant soup of all of this finding its expression in the cards.

Clear as mud? Product of a diseased mind? Opinions? Corrections? Demands that I get put on thorazine immediately?

Io Phanes,
Tzeenj

[PS- any tips on how to get this bloody thing to quote properly?

Huck

Tzeenj said:
]Triumphal events needed a peace or a victory or a marriage or "birth of a heir" or "general glamour" - and naturally some money.

<snip v. interesting history>

That part I knew. I'd meant to ask what started the idea of the events- the revival of the Triumph in that time period (do I recall correctly that a Classical revival took place then? Did this also tie in with a resurgence in Neoplatonic thought?).

Also- do we know what sparked the resurgence of interest in I Trionfi itself?

Celebrations were always there ... however, the character modified. Inside that, what could be called Trionfo we have that, what became and was the Italian Trionfo ... "Italian" by location and "Italian Trionfo" by a specific combination of celebration and show.
Italy (14th/15th century) profited from the international situation of the trade ... so there was a great flow of money. Also it profited from the church as an institution ... another flow of money. There was money and very rich persons, who could sponsor something. They sponsored for their own pleasure also triumphal celebrations, which had a natural function for "their system" of being rich and best keeping this position.
For instance the Medici:
One part of the family earned money and with the money they sponsored. They became the banker of the popes and finally two members became pope - which turned to become a sad story, however, in their time Italy became the center of Renaissance and culture.
Another part of the family also earned money, but spared the money. After a longer period, in which the other part dominated, this part got the Grand Duchy of Toscana. In their time Italy already was on a way down and the European focus had moved to other countries.

Generally: The cities in Italy were much bigger than elsewhere, for instance in Germany (Cologne: 35.000 inhabitants, biggest city in Germany). Italy perhaps had 10-15 comparable cities with equal or more or much more inhabitants.

This simple difference determnes a different quality of Italian life. Big cities have a different life style than smaller cities ... the social behaviour is different.

He made a Trionfo in June 1425 and it is suspected by us, that the Michelino deck was produced at this time and for this moment.

I'll dedicate a separate qustion to that one.

Seen that article but thanx for the link!

<snip more kewl historical background- thanx!>

In 1445 in Paris even the feasts of Fools (old custom, connected to playing cards) was prohibited.

How does the Feast of Fools tie in with playing cards?

Often (?) or occasionally playing cards were used in "blasphemous" activities in the chuch at the relevant days. Playing cards usually were strongly prohibited in the church.
See:
http://trionfi.com/0/d/91/index.php

In this year 1441 it's observable, that the interest in Petrarca's poem is raised.

Why did interest rise at that time?

:) I can't answer "why's" ... I can only observe

Pietro de Medici wished to have a "Trionfi" (Petrarca) edition illustrated in this year. This is the first note about an illustrated Trionfi edition, as far it is known. In the follow-up we located many pictures especially in Florence, which presented the typical style of Petrarca's Trionfi, not only book-paintings, but alsoi other objects. This was discussed here in length in winter 2007/2008.

In 1443 this victory is celebrated and as figures in the triumphal march appear allegorical persons, which we later find on Tarot cards.

So, did the allegorical figures initially derive from I Trioni and develop from there?

I'm not sure, what you mean with "I Trionfi" ... any motif of the Tarot cards existed also in other contexts, all long before. Naturally the Tarot painter took motifs, which were known generally and somehow understood by the persons of their time.

Did Petrarch draw on a source for his imagery?

Where did these figures come from in the first place?

Petrarca's text was a text, not a painting. Naturally the text contained descriptions ... I don't think, that Petrarca invented Love, Chastity, Death, Fame, Time and Eternity. Perhaps he invented details, which developed iconographically, for instance the "captured amor".

For instance there are astonishing many pictures with female players generally in the contemporary art. There is a garden-of-love-picture,

<snip>

And thank you very much for elaborating on this part. I appreciate it. :)

Boiardo poem- got a note for this? Someone else on another forum mentioned two poems but refused to tell me which poems he referred to.
[/quote]

Boiardo Tarocchi poem
http://trionfi.com/0/h/

Boiardo surely wrote more than 2 poems, but I do know only of one Tarocchi poem made by 2 sonnetts for opening and end and 78 terzine for each card.

The presentation is ... as many things at Trionfi.com ... not necessarily complete, and often noct presents the momentary state of research.

Since recent research we got to the opinion, that the Boiardo poem likely was made for a marriage festivity in January 1487 in Ferrara/Bologna. In our opinion that's too late to be of relevance for the calculations of the 5x14-theory.

Tzeenj

Huck said:
Celebrations were always there ... however, the character modified. Inside that, what could be called Trionfo we have that, what became and was the Italian Trionfo ... "Italian" by location and "Italian Trionfo" by a specific combination of celebration and show.

Which I've read was inspired by the ancient Roman Triumph. Hence the recurring images of the Triumphal Chariot.

Huck said:
For instance the Medici:
One part of the family earned money and with the money they sponsored. They became the banker of the popes and finally two members became pope - which turned to become a sad story, however, in their time Italy became the center of Renaissance and culture.

Ficino's Academy and suchlike.

Huck said:
Often (?) or occasionally playing cards were used in "blasphemous" activities in the chuch at the relevant days. Playing cards usually were strongly prohibited in the church.
See:
http://trionfi.com/0/d/91/index.php

Interesting. Thanx! Hearkens back to elements of Saturnalia.

Huck said:
I'm not sure, what you mean with "I Trionfi" ...

specifically Petrarch's poem- did the allegorical imagery in there inspire the later motifs in the Triumphal march or did Petarch's imagery have any antecedents? If so, where did such antecedents come from- did a specific source or sources exist?

Huck said:
Petrarca's text was a text, not a painting.

Knew that. Used the term "figures" in a broader sense. The term can apply to literary as well as graphic constructs.

Huck said:

Thank you!

Huck said:
Boiardo surely wrote more than 2 poems, but I do know only of one Tarocchi poem made by 2 sonnetts for opening and end and 78 terzine for each card.

I believe the person who told me this could have referred to two poems by different people. He never implied a common origin for both.

Huck said:
The presentation is ... as many things at Trionfi.com ... not necessarily complete, and often noct presents the momentary state of research.

Understood, and understandable.

Huck said:
Since recent research we got to the opinion, that the Boiardo poem likely was made for a marriage festivity in January 1487 in Ferrara/Bologna. In our opinion that's too late to be of relevance for the calculations of the 5x14-theory.

If I may ask, how does the 5x14 theory work in with the concept of the Major and Minor Arcana having developed independently?

I believe I'll post the next of my questions, but I still want very much to continue on this thread as it's proven most informative.

Io Phanes,
Tzeenj

Huck

Petrarca was inspired by Cola de Rienzo, knew him personally (? at least by private letter exchange).
Cola de Rienzo tried to reestablish "Rome" and somehow the old Rome with some of the older "triumphal habits" (all on the background, that the popes were in Avignon). This happened short before the plague 1448 - 1450 and it went bad for Rienzo. After the plague Rienzo returned and his new attempt with "triumphal habits" went worse, Rienzo was killed.
Rienzo is clearly the political background for "I Trionfi" of Petrarca. You surely find material in the web to this person.
Petrarca had much hopes for this person and was variously disappointed. Petrarca's own background was, that he spend his time near Avignon first, but wished to get the title "poetus laureatus" especially in Rome, not in Paris or in Naples - realized in 1441.
He went really to Italy after the plague.

Before Cola de Rienzo there is a Trionfo remarked for Castruccia of Lucca, I remember the year as 1325 (?) ... I once found a description, but also remember, that this Trionfo was more martial than the later shows and didn't really meet the later character.

It's a question, to which degree the old Roman customs were known ... it did need the activity of Biondo Biondi to create some knowledge about the "real old Roman Trionfo" mid of the 50's in 15th century - after the Trionfi idea got some interest in the 40's (Petrarca pictures) and found some reality as "triumphal occasion" since 1449/1450 and it was generally discussed, what was correct and what was wrong. Especially funny became the discussion before the April/May event in 1459, when Pope Pius II entered Florence on his way to Mantova (the Florentians didn't like this pope from Siena too much).

For Biondo Biondi
http://trionfi.com/0/k/biondi/

Generally there were Trionfos since the Roman times in Byzanz, how regularely is not known. A military victory usually caused a celebration ... but is that already a Trionfo?
The especially for Tarot interest important feature is the use of "allegories" in the triumphal marches, but not each festivity in the focussed time used this feature. A rather different form were "fighting games", for instance jousts. And there were even soccer games ... :) ... and there fights of animals (the Borgia's brought for instance the fight with bulls from Spain, etc.)

Generally the celebrations didn't stop to present only the "Trionfo"-model, generally the motivation wished to have a great show and best not only one demonstration, but as many as possible, as long there was enough money to pay for it. So there were jousts, animal fights, literary shows, theatre AND a triumphal march just for one event. And this event could take 2 weeks or - especially in the case of bride journeys - even monthes.
Theatre and finally also opera developed from this interest in amusement and public show, often combined with carnival. The "first opera" actually was a "carnival show".

And this Italian glamour was imitated in other countries - later.

Ross G Caldwell

Huck said:
I trionfi del Petrarca ... modern version

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=TwQ43yEzplQ

Could have been nice live, but the camera work makes it terrible. Choreographers work presuming a seated, stationary audience, and the whole stage and all the dancers have to be seen at once for the designer's effect to be appreciated. All we got was a study in one dancer's work, without context.

Still interesting to use as a theme, although I couldn't make out which "triumph" it was supposed to be...

Ross