If anyone is interested in the Ancient Celtic Tarot...

Kiama

Is that Brigantia as the Druidess? It looks quite like some statues of Brigantia I've seen, and I think the meaning would fit very well.

Kiama

blackroseivy

As a matter of fact, yes indeed it is she!! :D I'm so glad you think she fits; I had to change from another one I liked better, but the foundation was not a photo but rather an artist's reconstruction; I couldn't use her. But I am attracted to Brigantia/Brighid, & she is a Triple Goddess with connotations of the Priestess about her. It more or less just means "holy woman".

Maelin

Danubhe, what a wonderful deck, I am intrigued by the use of the artifacts. It opens a door to a whole additional layer of meaning to each card by reference to the stories of the artifacts - e.g. what more can we add to understanding the hanged man ( I am assuming the Sacrificed one is linked to the hanged man in RWS) by understanding more about bog bodies ( That is my favourite of your cards!) Great work, I'm looking forward to the rest.

Best wishes

blackroseivy

Wow, yes, thanx!! :D The bog body seemed like the best way of interpreting the standard Tarot in a Celtic way; by which, I mean I am strongly influenced by the original Medieval conception of the cards. I use the RWS order because it always made most sense to me; but the starkness of the images owe much to the Tarot's origins. Thanx again for the encouragement! ;)

blackroseivy

Here's my entire Major Arcana, + a couple Minors...

...Not sure if I did this before, but here goes.

Attachments

• ancientceltictarotthefooljpg.jpg
    ancientceltictarotthefooljpg.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 185
  • ancientceltictarotthemage.jpg
    ancientceltictarotthemage.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 148
  • ancientceltictarotthedruidess.jpg
    ancientceltictarotthedruidess.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 136
  • ancientceltictarotthechieftainness.jpg
    ancientceltictarotthechieftainness.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 129
  • ancientceltictarotthechieftain.jpg
    ancientceltictarotthechieftain.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 105

blackroseivy

I'll be back to load the rest later!

Annabelle

Danubhe, wow!!!! These are beautiful cards - your work is excellent!!! Thanks so much for sharing these with us :).

Flidais

Wonderful! I love the use of Ogham on the cards.

Strange2

Wow, indeed! Fascinating cards, danubhe!

I also like the script on the cards, and thanks to Flidais for noting that this is Ogham (I didn't know what that was previously). This gives a mysterious otherworldy base to the cards. Are these Ogham scripts the title/name of the card?

Looking forward to seeing more of these wonderful cards!

blackroseivy

Heeee!!

Yes, the titles are translated into (mainly Scots) Gaelic & then spelled in Ogham. The #'s are represented on the tops of the cards by the corresponding "extra" leters (they have a name, I have to look it up). Let's see how many I can get up *this* time!:

BTW, they are all based on ancient Celtic artifacts (in case this wasn't obvious!). :D

Attachments

• ancienceltictarotthedruid.jpg
    ancienceltictarotthedruid.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 87
  • ancientceltictarotthelovers.jpg
    ancientceltictarotthelovers.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 77
  • ancientceltictarotthechariot.jpg
    ancientceltictarotthechariot.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 75
  • ancientceltictarotstrength.jpg
    ancientceltictarotstrength.jpg