IIII L'Empereur

catboxer

IV L'Empereur

A close look at early tarot decks, including early Marseilles decks, leads to the conclusion that the standard iconography of this card which we see today was a fairly late development. In particular, the representation of the Emperor as fully armored is of recent vintage. Whether his association with Aires is also a late development is open to discussion and debate. What seems certain is that there was from the first an association of this image with the kings and knights of the Arthurian legends, even if that association was tenuous.

In 1446 Bembo did 289 pencil illustrations for a manuscript entitled "The Story of Lancelot and the Lake," by the Italian writer Zuliano de Anzoli (see Kaplan II, pps. 123-eight), which is currently housed in the Biblioteca Nazionale of Florence and catalogued as the Codex Palatino 556. Bembo later outlined and finished his pencil sketches with black ink. Many of the images he invented for this book were later re-cycled into the Visconti-Sforza deck, including Love, the Old Man (Hermit), Il Matto (Fool), and the Emperor, as well as various court card pictures.

Folio 159 of the Codex shows two representations of the knight Tristan and two female figures in front of an unidentified king. Kaplan says he is probably King Dinas-Bran, a shadowy Welsh monarch of the dark ages who built a foreboding-looking castle on an isolated hilltop. In Bembo's picture he is shown in half-profile and wears the same hat, gown, and shoes as the Visconti-Sforza Emperor. The tarot card's Emperor faces the opposite way, (left rather than right), has the Imperial eagle on his hat, wears gloves, and holds an orb, but otherwise the pictures are very close to identical.

Only with the advent of the early Marseilles decks do we see the familiar image of the Emperor sitting in profile with his legs crossed, orb and sceptre in hand. Even then, he wears no armor (if I'm wrong about this, please correct me) until the 18th century, when Claude Thomasset's card shows him wearing what appear to be a breastplate and metal helmet. Also, his orientation in the various Marseilles decks is inconsistent; sometimes he faces one way, sometimes the other. Many people who favor systematic esoteric interpretations of the cards often put great stock in the Emperor's facing his right (our left) in modern decks.

Personally, as I understand this card, I prefer seeing the Emperor in armor. To me he represents discipline, order, rules, hierarchy, and a systematic, sometimes rather harsh approach to life. Like the Magician, this is a card that has both positive and negative aspects. Discipline and order are necessary in our lives, otherwise they'd lapse into chaos and anarchy. But too much discipline, too much order, too many rules, can cut us off from all spontaneity and intuitution. People afflicted with an over-reliance on order tend to cut themselves off from the ebb and flow of real life and live relationships, like a person encased in armor.

Question: at what point did the shield's emblem, the Imperial eagle, get replaced by the ram's head of Aires? With the BOTA deck, perhaps? Or with one of the French occult decks?

(Catboxer)

jmd

Wonderful beginning, catboxer... again!

I personally agree with you as to the general meaning and depiction of the card, and certainly, Kaplan seems to strive to find further richness and depth in describing this card.

With regards to his association with the Fisher-King, this, by association, does also lend to understanding the aridity or barren-ness of the land around him in later decks (BOTA being a wonderful example... and taken, of course, from the Waite-Smith deck).

If one makes the association of this card with the Fisher-king of Grail legend, then his wound must also be carefully looked at, for if the two previous cards are possibly, even if only as echoes, related to Isis, then that Osiris's dis-membering makes a loss of precisely his genitals becomes significant in the sequence.

You mention that various Marseilles decks depict him facing either right or left, but to my mind, those decks which have him facing the unconventional way tend to have cards which appear to be 'clear' mistakes in orientation (ie, the carver didn't transpose the orientation when carving). Interestingly, being in profile, only one side is showing. Assuming there is a 'correct' side, I will venture the one catboxer mentioned above: the Emperor faces his right, and shows us his left-hand side: his heart side.

It is also worthwhile pointing out that this is the Camoin deck which clearly depicts the Eagle... or more probably, the Phoenix, as laying an egg. An aspect which they claim they saw depicted in a number of decks.

Given his crossed legs, he has also, of course, often been associated with Jupiter and his sigil.

jmd

I just realised that I missed posting the Camoin Empereur... which is now attached.

Attachments

• camoiniiii.jpg
    camoiniiii.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 275

Kaz

I am very impressed with all the history you guys know. I keep learning here, I must admit I know almost nothing about tarot history.
As I have the soprafino deck as of now, I will try to make some posts about it.
The deck is a reprint of "Soprafino di F.Gumppenberg, Milano 1835"

L'imperatore, is seen from the left, en profile. He is not fully armored, he wears a breastplate. The legs are not crossed.
There are no gloves, the orb is in his right hand. I think the imperial eagle is where his left arm rests upon.

Attachments

• imperatore.jpg
    imperatore.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 273

catboxer

Kaz:

Thanks for posting. I keep hoping more people will jump in, and that this won't remain a two- or three-way conversation.

Other than music, history is my main passion in my life, and not just the history of cards. What's strange is that I don't really know how important it is. I do know that there are many, many highly-skilled readers who lack any knowledge of tarot history, but the shortcoming doesn't seem to impede their ability. This underscores the fact that tarot is two things: a highly personalized interpretative system, and a vehicle for exercising one's intuition.

What I do resent is people who have read a book or two and picked up some counterfeit, romanticized notion of the history of the cards, then broadcast it, all the while acting as if few other people are privy to the "great secrets" of "ancient and hidden wisdom" which require novices to spend "years of study" to "even begin" to comprehend the esoteric content of the cards, which, when you come down to it, are pictures on cardboard. OK, they're a lot more than that, but I had to say it.

This was the great failing of the French occultists, and many of the English ones. It's one of the things that gives our mutual passion a bad name.

The card you posted was extremely interesting. I have a Gumppemberg deck from 1810, sold under the misnomer of "Ancient Tarot of Lombardy," but the one you have looks to be much better drawn than the 1810 edition. The 1835 Emperor is an extremely intriguing, rather sinister looking figure, and he appears to be a portrait of someone. It would be interesting to find out who that might be. It wasn't the HRE, because Napoleon, if I'm not mistaken, did away with that office somewhere around 1810. But there was still an Austrian Emperor in Vienna.

jmd: It will be a little while before I can respond to your last post. I've been kind of chewing on this Fisher King -- Dinas-Bran connection, and the fact that one of those figures is legendary and the other is historical. I need to find out more about the wars the Celtic kinglets of England fought against the Anglo-Saxon invaders in the fifth and sixth centuries, whether there was a religious component to their struggle (were any of the invaders Christian at that early date? My guess is they weren't), and to what extent the legends reflect real history. I'm always shocked and pleasantly surprised when people are able to take a single myth or legend and connect its elements to provable or supportable hypothetical historical events.

Of all the associations people make with tarot (Egyptian, Kabbalah, etc.), I find the Arthurian connection to be both the most interesting and the most historically supportable. This, of course, would be in addition to Christian imagery, classical mythology, and some astrological (especially planetary) influences.

Also, there is apparently still a live debate happening concerning the artist responsible for the Visconti-Sforza, Carey-Yale, Brambilla, and other packs, as well as the illustrations for "Lancelot of the Lake." Recent researchers believe it may have been one Francesco Zavattari, not Bembo. More later...

(Catboxer)

catboxer

The HRE lays an egg

Diana:

You have a great eye for detail, and like jmd bring up several interesting points.

I think the association of the Emperor with Ares, the Greek equivalent of Mars, is an entirely modern invention. It's not entirely off the mark, as the original Emperor was probably partly a depiction of a real person (the Holy Roman Emperor of the House of Hapsburg) and part Arthurian warrior. In any case, jmd's suggestion that this card correlates more easily with Jupiter than Mars makes more sense. L'Impereur is definitely a father figure.

As for the make and model of the bird, it's definitely an eagle, not a phoenix. The crest of the Hapsburgs always showed the eagle with his wings in that sort of downturned position, and your observation that the Empresses's eagle's wings are turned the other way might be significant. What's most interesting is the egg jmd pointed out on the Camoin card. This may have some occultic significance, but I'm more of a mind to suspect that in a politically revolutionary and turbulent century (France had been experiencing more or less continuous revolutionary upheavals for 90-plus years at the time that deck was produced, in 1880), the artist was making a sly commentary on monarchs in general, similar to the "Wall Street Lays an Egg" headline that appeared in the Wall Street Journal the day after Black Friday, 1929.

The direction the Emperor is facing must be significant, since cartomantic divination appears to have spread throughout Europe rather rapidly during the 18th and 19th centuries. As jmd points out, there was probably a correct facing direction (toward the left, or toward the Empress), and cardmakers who had the Emperor facing the other way probably got it wrong. If a carved block shows him facing to the left, then the printed image will turn that way only if the card is face down; on a face-up card he would be turned and looking to his right. It seems some card makers were victimized by the well-known difficulties of dealing with reversed images.

(Catboxer)

jmd

For the sake of comparisons, here are the three classics. First the Conver of 1760.

Attachments

• converiiii.jpg
    converiiii.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 276

jmd

Next the Dodal, which looks in the 'traditional' direction, of 1701.

Attachments

• dodaliiii.jpg
    dodaliiii.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 265

jmd

.... and finally the Noblet of 1650, which is in not in the 'traditional' orientation.

Attachments

• nobletiiii.jpg
    nobletiiii.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 275