Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

lilangel09

I started journaling on Monday, and I'm already having trouble. I don't know how you guys do it. I've started with the Fool. Since I feel like I'm being rushed by classes and don't spend as much time I want to thoroughly go through each card, I will probably spend a few days with each card. This is a much slower pace than I would've liked, but not bad.

The problem isn't really spending the time, it's what I'm writing when I write about the Fool. I feel like I'm regurgitating memorized stuff. The writing feels mostly empty.. not like the reflections I've been writing. I feel that if I do what Fudu said at one point, where you write 4 pages until you have nothing left to write and start to "really write", I may be able to get something about the Fool.

I've analyzed the picture, but it feels too left-brained and I feel too far removed. It's starting to look more like a 78 card per week thing because of my lack of time.

I haven't really been paying attention to 2-card dailies, not enough time, not clicking. Don't really feel like doing them that much either, just want to spend time with the deck.

I'm glad that classes will be over by May 8 :D...but then exams will come before that date... :(

Oh, before I go, anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to loosen up before writing about a card so my right-brain can explore? I would appreciate them :).

Skimo

Do you have the 21 ways to read a tarot card?

It seems to be full of good advices that could help you right now with journalling each cards...

fluffy

lilangel. I think what fudu said was a really good idea. I find the same thing with my cards. I start writing, I am firstly just describing the card, I also ask my self questions in my journal like eg. Figure holding a trumpet, stood on a fish, red garmet on floor in front right hand corner. What could red garment signify?? Then I write more of what I think it means, I try and think of what the number means, what the suit means what the figure could be doing. Like you I regurgitate a lot of what I already know (find myself trying to fir the card to the rws meanings :(), but then suddenly I start thinking new things about it and write those down as well. It doesn't always make the card totally clear, but it gives new ideas on how to read it. - Hope that helps a little!

For myself while I am still shuffling and looking at the Bosch I think it has lost its shine for me. I am reading more and more about another deck (Liber T) which I am expecting in the post and feel that this will become my new ids :( I still haven't made the decision for definite though.

Love Fluffy
xx

Essjay

(((tarot4fun))) Awww, thank you :love:

I'm back on course now. I did two larger spreads from my VR companion book, the threshold spread and looking forward looking back.

Both of these make sense, and seemed to be quite easy to read. One of my aims for this IDS was to start using a larger spread without constantly referring to my book for help. Having spent the last few weeks with just one deck has definately helped. Even if I'm not noting down my 3 card spreads I have a better grasp of the cards and I feel as though the messages I'm receiving are more intuitive now.

:)

Scion

Still Liber T-rrific for my IDS... :D

Getting a ton of mental mileage out of the new Golden Dawn subforum as a way of picking through the Book T material in the Liber T. Philosophical housecleaning and all: figuring out what goes where and why.

Silverlotus

lilangel09, I went through 21 Ways and made my own list of exercises for each card. It does refer to some of the pages and appendixes in the book, but I can pass it along to you if you would like. It may still be useful, even if you don't have the book.

lilangel09

Actually, when I spent the winter break with the Diamond, I tried out about half of the exercises in 21 Ways. Afterwards, I switched decks and didn't continue. Thank you for the offer though. :)

Today, I've been investigating how some of the symbols in the Fool of the International Icon and how they relate to me. I noticed that I have a fondness for melancholy decks *lol*. Mentally, I've been comparing this Fool to other "sad" Fools from other decks. Now I'm investigating the number 0, and what it means to me. Since I've been studying 0 and infinity in Calculus, these numbers seem more interesting to me. The bag in the Fool looks like a raindrop to me, and I love the rain. I shall be exploring this further.

I'm sure I could probably go through a list of exercises, but probably after exams.

Maybe yesterday was just a bad day? I did have a lack of sleep (more than today :p)...

Sinduction

Well today I finally started writing up the cards. Well, one card. I've decided to start a study group for this deck, the LS Art Nouveau. I started with the fool, which is my least favorite card of the deck. At least, it was until I finished the journaling. I found something really profound in the one thing I hated about the card. It had to do with the fool being bitten by a snake.

I feel this is a giant breakthrough for me. To go from hating a card, working out why and then seeing that my initial hatred actually blossomed into more of an understanding of the card as a whole. I'm really excited.

I really feel this is expanding how I view tarot.

I'm trying now to focus on three card readings in the way that Place does them. However, I don't have his book so this may be tough.

afrosaxon

lilangel09 said:
The problem isn't really spending the time, it's what I'm writing when I write about the Fool. I feel like I'm regurgitating memorized stuff. The writing feels mostly empty.. not like the reflections I've been writing. I feel that if I do what Fudu said at one point, where you write 4 pages until you have nothing left to write and start to "really write", I may be able to get something about the Fool.

I've analyzed the picture, but it feels too left-brained and I feel too far removed. It's starting to look more like a 78 card per week thing because of my lack of time.

Oh, before I go, anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to loosen up before writing about a card so my right-brain can explore? I would appreciate them :).

Hi lilangel,

when you analyze the picture, how do you do it? Do you get into numerology, astrological influences, etc.? From an artistic standpoint (I think that's right-brain...I get left- and right-brain mixed up :laugh:), I like to look at the colors first...are they bright or dark? Cool or warm? Is there more of one color than the other? How do they (and, by association, this card, regardless of title) make me feel? Then I get into any symbols that may be there: what do they mean to ME? I may read up on a myth and see if any of it resonates with me.

Oh...and do you really write so much? :D I have yet to write more than a paragraph on each card, so far. My paragraphs are more like a compilation of brain droppings. Here's an actual example:

9 Petro -- Masa La Flambeau

--2 masa carry sacred fire of Petro spirits. Fire is high but doesn't burn them or anything around them
--duality ---> twins?
--masa turned away from each other ---> separate but in sync. Fires lean into each other ---> synthesis?
--mauve background: feminine (receptive?) energies [temple as womb?]
--masa are couriers of life-giving water, grace, and power (mysticvoodoo.com). They can't use power; can only give it away ---> transport and connection

REVERSED
--out of control
--stagnation of energy, passion

(can you tell I used to be a research lab rat? :laugh:)

As for the daily draws, maybe 3 cards? I've found that 1-card draws don't really work for me on a daily basis, but 3 cards is just right.

To loosen up before writing...well...you can try a glass of wine or your favorite adult beverage (no joke). Get in a place that's fairly quiet and doesn't have a lot of people traffic. Maybe light a candle. Don't think of this as a chore, as "oh gawd, I have to journal on my card for IDS." But this can't happen until you find a way to get excited (at least somewhat) about your deck studies.

Edited to add: another way I shook up my studies was to NOT start with the majors first. I started with the minors, and picked a suit that I didn't get such a clear connection with (for me, it was the Petro [Wands] suit). AND I started backwards with the 10 of that suit, down to the Ace, then page, knight, queen, king. :cool5: That helped my studies not feel so "scholastic."

Sorry I can't be of more help. Hang in there!

T.

Attachments

• 9 Petro  -- Masa La Flambeau.jpg
    9 Petro -- Masa La Flambeau.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 66

lilangel09

afrosaxon said:
Hi lilangel,

when you analyze the picture, how do you do it? Do you get into numerology, astrological influences, etc.? From an artistic standpoint (I think that's right-brain...I get left- and right-brain mixed up :laugh:), I like to look at the colors first...are they bright or dark? Cool or warm? Is there more of one color than the other? How do they (and, by association, this card, regardless of title) make me feel? Then I get into any symbols that may be there: what do they mean to ME? I may read up on a myth and see if any of it resonates with me.
I used to be into numerology adding up all the numbers and stuff as a newbie, but then I felt that it was just getting too complicated and ridiculous. After a year, I've started growing more fond of the single-digit numbers. I still don't add them up anymore, but I take note of re-occuring numbers.

I don't particularly like analyzing colors since I can't figure out how I feel about them most of the time. I know their brain-chemical-whatever associations and that doesn't do much but cloud the issue.

Soo far, I have not taken notice of any other symbols in the card, but I think I may decide to read up on mountains.... or make a story about mountains. Yesterday, I was wondering if the fool was wandering on the side of a mountain or if the fool was on some random cliff not associated with the mountain. I did associate the fool with air (as in "empty" "not filled" or "air-head") although I don't really read with elementals. I wondered what the heck would someone be doing wandering around on the side of the mountain, :laugh:.

afrosaxon said:
Oh...and do you really write so much? :D I have yet to write more than a paragraph on each card, so far. My paragraphs are more like a compilation of brain droppings. Here's an actual example:

9 Petro -- Masa La Flambeau

--2 masa carry sacred fire of Petro spirits. Fire is high but doesn't burn them or anything around them
--duality ---> twins?
--masa turned away from each other ---> separate but in sync. Fires lean into each other ---> synthesis?
--mauve background: feminine (receptive?) energies [temple as womb?]
--masa are couriers of life-giving water, grace, and power (mysticvoodoo.com). They can't use power; can only give it away ---> transport and connection

REVERSED
--out of control
--stagnation of energy, passion

(can you tell I used to be a research lab rat? :laugh:)
Yesterday I wrote the front of a page full of regurgitated stuff that I know about the fool. It's more of a fluid/reflectional type of writing so it's longer. I had another notebook for "meanings" for another deck where I would list/brainstorm a bunch of meanings. But sometimes, I just need to work everything out on paper to get a deeper meaning/feel.

afrosaxon said:
As for the daily draws, maybe 3 cards? I've found that 1-card draws don't really work for me on a daily basis, but 3 cards is just right.

To loosen up before writing...well...you can try a glass of wine or your favorite adult beverage (no joke). Get in a place that's fairly quiet and doesn't have a lot of people traffic. Maybe light a candle. Don't think of this as a chore, as "oh gawd, I have to journal on my card for IDS." But this can't happen until you find a way to get excited (at least somewhat) about your deck studies.

Edited to add: another way I shook up my studies was to NOT start with the majors first. I started with the minors, and picked a suit that I didn't get such a clear connection with (for me, it was the Petro [Wands] suit). AND I started backwards with the 10 of that suit, down to the Ace, then page, knight, queen, king. :cool5: That helped my studies not feel so "scholastic."

Sorry I can't be of more help. Hang in there!

T.
Usually I do a 2 card and then I take the bottom card into consideration, but lately nothing makes too much sense or is very sparse, so I just look at them and keep them in mind. I don't think of it as a chore, and I am excited about my deck studies, but I think it's just that after a day of college courses, my mind is in technical mode and can't calm down.

Unfortunately, I can not drink or light a candle since I'm underage and leaving burning popcorn in the microwave sends the firetruck here. I did calm down today, but I need to get revved up again for exams.

Thanks for the suggestions though~