Index: Pictures of Trimmed Decks (Expanded Thread)

kalliope

I trimmed my first deck! I cut up the Spiral Tarot as practice for some others that I love more. But it turned out great, despite my overly large corner cutter (I have a smaller one coming in the mail).

I never read with this deck because of the borders -- the light purple borders and red titles really clashed to my eye, and took away from the richness of the actual card art. I might actually use this deck now!

I ended up using scissors, and after some experimenting, found that it was best to cut the top and bottom borders from the front, and then turn over to cut off the side borders from the backs. They're not completely reversible because there is a little line of gold border on the top of the backs, but this isn't a deck I'd use reversals with, so I don't care. (I didn't cut off that bit of gold because it would have cut into the roman numerals on some of the cards.)

My pictures include a shot from when I tried to retain the titles, but I just couldn't handle the red color with the art, so I ended up cutting everything off.

-kalliope

ETA: I discuss my thoughts on various trimming tools over in the thread I started about trimming the Sacred Rose. Just linking here, since it's relevant.

Attachments

• Spiral_NoB_WithT.jpg
    Spiral_NoB_WithT.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 583
  • Spiral_NoB_NoT.jpg
    Spiral_NoB_NoT.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 218
  • SpiralTrim1.jpg
    SpiralTrim1.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 340
  • SpiralTrim2.jpg
    SpiralTrim2.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 532
  • SpiralTrim3Flash.jpg
    SpiralTrim3Flash.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 215

Cassandra022

kalliope said:
I trimmed my first deck! I cut up the Spiral Tarot as practice for some others that I love more. But it turned out great, despite my overly large corner cutter (I have a smaller one coming in the mail).

I never read with this deck because of the borders -- the light purple borders and red titles really clashed to my eye, and took away from the richness of the actual card art. I might actually use this deck now!

I ended up using scissors, and after some experimenting, found that it was best to cut the top and bottom borders from the front, and then turn over to cut off the side borders from the backs. They're not completely reversible because there is a little line of gold border on the top of the backs, but this isn't a deck I'd use reversals with, so I don't care. (I didn't cut off that bit of gold because it would have cut into the roman numerals on some of the cards.)

My pictures include a shot from when I tried to retrain the titles, but I just couldn't handle the red color with the art, so I ended up cutting everything off.

-kalliope

I agree, those borders do not look attractive at ALL.

Love how you trimmed these though, they look so nice now :]

rwcarter

rwcarter said:
My next trimming project just fell into my hands. A local metaphysical shop is going out of business. This is the last week they're open, and the deck selection was paltry at best, but they had a whole basket of store sample decks. I picked up the Via Tarot and book for $5. The set has a hole punched through it, but at least for the cards, it's in the larger border around the image. So I can trim right to the image and have a perfectly usable version of the deck. I don't mind the size of the deck and have an intact one. But for $5 doing a borderectomy on those ugly gray borders just may make this deck sing.

(I think someone else trimmed the Via. I'll have to look through the thread.)

Pics to come in the next couple of days.

Rodney
Almost 3 months later, but here are images of the backs, Judgement and King Swords from the trimmed Via.

Rodney

Attachments

• web trimmed back.jpg
    web trimmed back.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 427
  • web trimmed Judgement.jpg
    web trimmed Judgement.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 520
  • web trimmed King Swords.jpg
    web trimmed King Swords.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 441

Eyebright

Ooh it looks fab without those awful borders! It definitely improves the deck. It pops almost now.

Le Fanu

rwcarter said:
Almost 3 months later, but here are images of the backs, Judgement and King Swords from the trimmed Via.

Rodney
Rodney, thank you! :* I have been haunted the last few days by an urge to trim the Via, but thought I'd get a 2nd copy first and yet I have noticed it is getting more and more difficult to find recently.

I was wondering how the borders would look and thanks to your post now I know. They do look a bit odd don't they? But I could live with that. They can't look any odder than the backs of my LoS trimmed Classical.

I love the Via but those borders oppress me. It looks much better trimmed, as I suspected.

I have a feeling that Alec trimmed the Via... but I could be wrong.

Hemera

kissatarot

The original can be seen here:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/kissa/

-and here are my two trimmed Kissatarot decks. Top row with just the picture left and bottom row with narrow golden borders. Card back on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 588

Hemera

Paulina

Paulina before and after:

Attachments

• IMG_2744.jpg
    IMG_2744.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 761

Cassandra022

great pictures! the paulina especially looks much improved :]

Chiska

Hemera, The KissaTarot looks amazing without borders!

Hemera

Chiska said:
Hemera, The KissaTarot looks amazing without borders!
Yes it does, doesn´t it! I´m quite excited how it turned out, especially the one with narrow borders. The yucky mustard color looks more golden now. And I got rid of the awful keywords,too! :D