Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Lounge ~ Part IV

zan_chan

Wow, Kat-- you're a moderator! Congrats! (gee, I hope this post isn't off topic... lol)

Meanwhile, Wendy's right-- why not a Thoth IDS?

thorhammer

Sheesh, can you people please stop noticing??? :p I'm trying to be all stealthy about it!

IDS with Thoth . . . maybe. Somehow, though, I think it's just not the right thing to do. The Thoth is just bigger than any study to me - and besides, I do want some freedom to use some of my other decks for a while. But coming home to my Thoth . . . I read with that like a truckload of dynamite :) I miss it. I'll wipe it off tomorrow morning (it's in bicarb :heart: to get the cigarette stench out!:mad:) and maybe do a full Opening of the Key tomorrow :eek:

But this whole post is off-topic :| my bad!

\m/ Kat

ETA: Just got your message, Zan - thanks!

Bat Chicken

Congrats, Kat!!!

I will miss you - I am now alone in my study of the Blake. :( But looking at where you are coming from and where I have been going with it, I suppose it is no surprise. Even my understanding of Blake is having a effect on how I view the deck. There are a lot of conflicting philosophies behind the art that isn't from Blake's own writing (particularly Milton) and cohesion is proving to be just as fleeting as the Greenwood. It has been hugely enlightening, however!

I have had a week from H** and I am wanting to get back to my cards, but, I am not sure if I will be able to before Monday. A few deep breaths... :bugeyed:

Wendywu

Wendywu said:
Today I am going to do my IDS Exchange reading and a long, leisurely card study. I have time today! This is because the new offices are sorted but I must go there today because the telephony people are coming - and once they've been I am coming home :D If they come late in the morning I shall play with Ironwing IN THE OFFICE (cue music "If I Ruled the World")

Well that was a load of twaddle! Time, my ass. It was a frantic dash from start to finish! Two sets of workmen turned up, then a set of telephony contractors and finally the boss arrived with a bunch of urgent work for me. My poor cards never even got to come out of their pouch. However, the afternoon has been a lot more fruitful and I am half way through my card study (yay!! - it's been such fun) and have got as far as thinking about doing the reading. I'll have to do it in the morning - we have a tradition of evenings being family time and I'll get a few black looks if I start doing a reading instead of spending time with the family.

victoria.star

rwcarter said:
I've had the feeling for awhile now that the Mythic is throwing up the same cards to me when I do readings with it. So I just went back through the readings I've done with the deck since I began this IDS and did some counting.

So far I've done 11 readings with the deck (10 IDS and 1 for a friend). Between all the readings, there have been a total of 54 cards. 14 cards have appeared at least twice in those 11 readings. So 28 of the 56 cards (more than half) are repeaters. And of the 14 repeaters, one has repeated 3x and another has repeated 4x. So that makes 31 of the 56 cards that are repeaters.

And before anyone says that it must be my shuffling, I shuffle 7x, cut into 3 stacks, choose one and make that the top of the new stack and pick up the remaining stacks from left to right to finish the new stack. I do that two more times for a total of 21 shuffles. And when I'm done with a reading, I randomly place the cards one at a time back into the deck.

For the most part, the cards I pull seem relevant to the question that's asked, so maybe it's more a matter of similar themes among my Querents. But I am getting tired of seeing the same cards over and over again....

Rodney
Interesting you mention this Rodney. I was thinking a very similar thing when I did a reading with Ironwing the other day.
I have pulled some of the cards so many times that they are like familiar friends!
I haven't even SEEN some of the other cards in the deck! ;)

I am going with it. The cards I pull seem, as you said, to be relevant to the query. And I guess I am just thinking about it as a personal teaching....

these familiar recurring particular cards must have something to teach me that i haven't quite learned yet....and by studying them through applying them to readings for others, i am slowly letting it sink in! (????)

carissimo

victoria.star said:
these familiar recurring particular cards must have something to teach me

Hallo rwcarter/Rodney and victoria.star:

Isn't this amazing!!! This is what makes me believe in tarot to be working. I had that happen to me whenever I did the tarot and now again that certain cards would appear again and again and others I wouldn't even have ever noticed because of just not picking them. I find this really really amazing! There is no "coincidence" with tarot but rather something talking through it to us, may it be our inner guide or however or whatever one wishes to call that power.
But I am also starting to notice as well that one must be open for the tarot. One must handle it with respect, patience and courage for it's answers. There is no such reading like inbetween doors, in a hurry or not really giving attention, or being to tired for it. Then the tarot will play tricks on us, confuse and might not make any sense.
So far my newest insights.
Despite of it I am just starting to really find my card pretty beautiful. :) This is a good sign! :) I wish for a sort of study partner. Would the study group thread be the right place to post a note about searching for interested people who currently work with the Liber T? The already excisting Liber T threads are not in use for a while. ?
I also might want to take part at the reading exchange soon, but will need a bit more time to read through the posts to figure how it's gonna be working ;)

thorhammer

carissimo said:
But I am also starting to notice as well that one must be open for the tarot. One must handle it with respect, patience and courage for it's answers. There is no such reading like inbetween doors, in a hurry or not really giving attention, or being to tired for it. Then the tarot will play tricks on us, confuse and might not make any sense.
This is so totally true, carissimo. I think that it's one of the first things that Tarot teaches the attentive reader - courage. It's something I learnt when I first started reading TArot, when I was a wee teenager :p and it's shaped me in such a fundamental way I can't even imagine what I'd be like if I didn't read Tarot :)

\m/ Kat

LotusSong

My iPod understands things far better than I do. Really, it does.

You see, I have often thought about making a playlist of songs that call forth images of the Diary. Songs that remind me of Jahanam. I had about four I knew for sure were "right", but didn't really know where to go from there. So, I got my iPod and went into my main listing of songs (which I have set to play in a random order). I scrolled around until I found one of the four songs in question, and listened to it as I asked my iPod to help give me some more ideas for songs that "fit". It actually gave me some good ideas.

So, I'm listening and the current song ends and another starts up. It's Bad Romance by Lady Gaga. And I'm like :bugeyed: and then :laugh: because it's so ridiculous. But as I'm listening to the song, I recalled something Gaga said in an interview about it. She said: I want your ugly, I want your disease; all of those things that I'm saying, it's like when you love someone so much and your fear of losing them is so deep that you – I want your psycho, I want your ugly, I want all the most disgusting parts of you that you think no one will ever love. I love all of those things.

And suddenly I realized that there was something about that statement - that intent behind the song - that fits within my schema of the Diary. Yes, it's a very popular pop song which feels almost as far away as you can get from the rather "underground" gray world of Jahanam. But somehow, the two share a thread.

I never would have considered Bad Romance without my iPod randomly spitting it at me. If it hadn't played the song for me, if some friend of mine had suggested it instead, I would have blown it off without thinking about the lyrics and the intent. It's also made me realize that I may be taking the Diary... a little too seriously.

So yes, that's what I have been doing with my deck today. >.>;

thorhammer

Wow, that's intense, LS. I don't know the song myself (I don't know any pop songs newer than 1998, when I left boarding school :p) but those lyrics are totally what Jahanam seems to be - that it's okay to wear your ugly on the outside there because it's part of who you are . . . and you are beautiful. For a black and white deck . . . it sure is grey ;) as you say.

Your experience with the song being spat at you seemingly at random might also be telling you, in addition to the fact that you might be taking the Diary too seriously, that you're not taking "random" events seriously enough ;)

\m/ Kat

zan_chan

Gah! Thanks a lot, Lotus. Now I've got Gaga stuck in my head all over again....GA GA ooh la laaa.

I don't think Hermann much goes in for pop. He much prefers Brazilian-influenced classical music, with a dose of the Schindler's List soundtrack on the side...