Intensive Deck Study Support Lounge - Part V

Flaxen

Right, here I am, taking the plunge. Earlier this week I found myself in a well-known esoteric bookshop in London and just happened to wander over to the tarot section. :grin:

I spotted the Liber T and thought it would be nice to have a Thoth-ish deck in the collection so I bought it. The images on those minors! Suffice to say that it has inspired me to do what I've been putting off for a long time, namely finding out more about decans, hermeticism. Hopefully, it will help me figure out what is going on in the 5 of swords (to name but one!).

I will:
*use this deck only for all my personal readings
*only check new decks for completion etc and then put them safely on the shelf.
*aim to journal on this deck twice a week
*pull one card a day to interpret
*I will use and study this deck from 14th June to 14th August (getting a reading exchange out of the way first).

thorhammer

You're in, Flaxen :) Have you checked out Scion's PDF thread for the Liber T?

\m/ Kat

Flaxen

thorhammer said:
You're in, Flaxen :) Have you checked out Scion's PDF thread for the Liber T?

\m/ Kat

I'm on to it!

zan_chan

Eureka!!

It has happened; my first Thoth reading that felt right. It made total sense to me on all the important levels: it fit my personal situation, I connected visually and could see the meaning in the cards, and I was able to understand where it all came from, astrologically and qaballistically. A wonderful feeling!

Since I started this IDS (and everyday regardless), I pull three cards using my favorite spread (thanks Kat!), asking what I was meant to have learned from the day passed. Yesterday I spent the entire night out at a fairly hideous party, drinking endlessly and burning money like twigs at a campsite. Do my reading today and immediately pull the 7 of Cups ( :bugeyed: ) as my main situation, flanked by two cards which had a lot to teach me.

Really a great feeling to see a glimmer of progress! :)

I have more to say on a different topic (reading professionally) but am too tired and will post tomorrow...

thorhammer

Good to hear, Zan :) It's an immensely satisfying deck, no doubt about that. I'm so glad you're clicking with it now :)

Mellaenn

OK. Confession time. Tonight I had my collection spread out all around me, despite my oh-so-recent vows to "forsake all other" decks, to see if there was a candidate for an IDS deck switch.

I have been working on my IDS diligently. I'm OK with reaching for books and links and resources to understand it. That's the whole reason why I took the Haindl to IDS status. I'm good with journaling, and with using one deck only IF I like the deck. I'm fine with the daily discipline.

But the more I work with the Haindl, the less I like the deck. However, most of my other decks don't really warrant the energy of an IDS outside of the Thoth and the LiberT. It feels like the pull of the moon and I am the ocean. What do do, what to do?

I am going to mull this over a day or two.

thorhammer

Ah, honey - I can understand that, and identify with it. It took me a bit longer, but I went there with the Wheel of Change. I hated it for a while, just hated the sight of it. No explanation - just hated it for no reason.

I understand how you feel. But we just have to wait, supportively :) for you to come to a conclusion, coz this is your thing :)

\m/ Kat

zan_chan

Totally agree with Kat that it's your thing and totally up to you, but pleaaase let me know if you need a Haindl pep-talk!! Hated mine for a while too - enough so it sat on a shelf for months after buying it before I even looked at it closely.

Stick with Hermann! Stick with Hermann!

Did you trim it? Helps SO much!

Mellaenn

Thanks, Kat and Zan, for the words of support. Giving it some more time for now.

And no, I didn't trim it; I've never (ahem) actually (cough) trimmed a deck before. That's an idea, though. I saw a trimmed deck for the first time at Readers Studio and it was très sexy.

zan_chan

Must must must must must trim!

Did I mention that you must trim?

I had never trimmed a deck before my Haindl either and was very nervous to do so. But once I did, I never looked back. Trimming is what turned "the Haindl" into Hermann for me :heart: The gray borders are hideous and wash out all the beautifully colored nuances to be found in Hermann's images. The keywords are also fairly unnecessary - that's what the books are for!

Trim!

When I get home tonight, I'll post some pics of mine. It's glorious (if not a bit, um, roughed up after being incessantly shuffled - seriously, non-stop - for half a year :p