Intuition Discussion Launched from Key Word Thread

Barleywine

An experienced mechanic can listen to your engine and intuitive know what is wrong with the car, which is confirmed when he inspects it. That noise sparks his intuitive faculties.

This is because he’s so familiar with his craft. Intuition, at least in its highest form of intellection, is the immediate cognition of an answer without the need for mental debate or argument.

If a card reader only ever A – B as one thing, regardless of context or anything else, then that is conditioning but when they can make the cards fit, fluidly, to the context of the question and your individual circumstances that is still intuition.

If a card reader looks at a card and sees X and it reminds them of something that is not really intuition. It’s an impression.

Are both of value? Yes. I think the former is vital, if I’m honest, but the latter really does need some grounding.

I certainly agree, Andy, and concede the point. There is something "ineffable" that occurs between simply seeing the pictures on the cardboard next to one another and sensing a coherent story unwind from them. It is more than just learning and applying your grammar. I guess my "gut feeling" (intuition?) is that we as a community have been playing a bit fast-and-loose with the term "intuition." When it becomes a convenient surrogate for the effort and persistence involved in getting your mind around the concepts underpinning a system, I get very cautious, especially when I myself feel tempted to make stuff up when I'm failing to connect with the core meanings. That's why my working understanding is that intuition primes the pump, it doesn't emerge fully-formed and perfect, like Athena from the forehead of Zeus (sorry, two cups of coffee and I'm feeling a little florid this morning :)) It just seems like the equivalent of "fast food" to me (aka "junk food" but I don't want to be quite that derogatory) when used as anything more central to a reading.

ETA: The silence is deafening! ;) Before the outraged ready their slings and arrows, I should say that the procees of reading as I've experienced it does open a "channel to somewhere." It's just impossible to come up with a consensus on what to call it, so everyone's pet theory is just an exercise in self-gratification. Is it intuition, is it synchronicity, is it the astral plane, is it divine inspiration, is it the subconscious, is it the angelic realm, is it creative imagination, is it spirits from the "other side," is it <insert your favorite source of insight here>? Lacking that, it's really just, at it's most pedestrian, inspired story-telling, and at it's most subtle, instructive allegory.

Teheuti

That's why my working understanding is that intuition primes the pump, it doesn't emerge fully-formed and perfect, like Athena from the forehead of Zeus
Priming a water pump involves pouring some water into the pump from outside and then pumping repeatedly in order to get the flow going from the other direction. You have to give something before you start getting something. So, for me, priming the pump often involves throwing in keywords and possible combo meanings before something starts to come out (or coalesce). My intuition puts the 'building blocks' of the Lenormand system together in a way that relates to the person and the question asked. If I get a strong 'first impression' or feeling I usually put it aside for a moment until I see if and how it fits in with the other information I gather.

Now I'm not primarily clairvoyant or psychic. I'm empathic and intuitive (as per the more standard dictionary and scientific definitions). I do sometimes use cards as part of my religious practice as an ordained priestess of Isis, channeling messages from the Divine Feminine in ritual. But that is not how I read professionally (my choice). If someone comes to me for spiritual direction I work differently than I do as a professional Tarot or Lenormand *reader*.

If I presented myself as a professional Spiritual Counselor or as a Clairvoyant who uses cards as part of the consultation, then that would be a different matter, but I don't.

I think it helps if we define ourselves clearly and let our clients know specifically what we do. You wouldn't go to a podiatrist if you had stomach cancer and a strict Christian Scientist would probably not go to either.

My attitude probably comes from the fact that I usually find *unsolicited* spiritual messages from others to be uncomfortable and even offensive. If, OTOH, I put myself in the context of receiving spiritual messages then I am usually quite open to them. I am even more picky about picking my spiritual counselors than I am about picking a card reader.

Barleywine

Priming a water pump involves pouring some water into the pump from outside and then pumping repeatedly in order to get the flow going from the other direction. You have to give something before you start getting something.

I would submit that, as I've experienced it (and everything about this must ultimately be put into a personal context), intuition is something I pour into the "ready-mix" of keywords, past associations and structure/system, not something I get out of the other end. Intuition is the "wild card" that arrives from outside of the conditioning that was the product of dedicated study and practice. It's the creative, inspired spark that brings rote meanings to life (hmm, out of the blue flashed a vision of Dr. Frankenstein giving a vivifying jolt to his creation . . . :)) And yes, it has a strong occult correlation with Water, so I see it as a "priming fluid" in my own way of reading.

Teheuti

intuition is something I pour into the "ready-mix" of keywords, past associations and structure/system, not something I get out of the other end. Intuition is the "wild card" that arrives from outside
That fits: in priming the pump you pour water in, in order to get water out (it restores the needed water pressure). In economics, you spend money in order to stimulate money to flow on its own through the economy.

If I understand you, you say you pour intuition in, in order to get intuition out, which is metaphorically appropriate. Could you give an example of the kind of intuition you "pour in," so that you can get the intuition that arrives from "outside the conditioning"? I may just be experiencing a semantic disconnect.

http://www.wikihow.com/Prime-a-Water-Pump

If I'm confused and 'priming the pump' means something different to you, please explain your image.

Barleywine

This is turning into a debate on client relations. To remind us of the root of the discussion:

Intuition:

In = into, towards, inside
Tuition = a looking after (among others that didn't bring any sense to the usage here)

So: Looking after what is inside.

Any of these definitions could be derived from this etymological parsing of the word.

1. knowledge or belief obtained neither by reason nor by perception
2. instinctive knowledge or belief
3. a hunch or unjustified belief

The inference is that whatever it is, it comes from inside. How it gets there seems to be where we disagree.

Village Witch

*deleted* I looked on another thread that answered my question.

Barleywine

That fits: in priming the pump you pour water in, in order to get water out (it restores the needed water pressure). In economics, you spend money in order to stimulate money to flow on its own through the economy.

If I understand you, you say you pour intuition in, in order to get intuition out, which is metaphorically appropriate. Could you give an example of the kind of intuition you "pour in," so that you can get the intuition that arrives from "outside the conditioning"? I may just be experiencing a semantic disconnect.

http://www.wikihow.com/Prime-a-Water-Pump

If I'm confused and 'priming the pump' means something different to you, please explain your image.

Thanks for prodding me on this. It's always good to be nudged out of your comfort zone and to challenge long-held (but not cherished, I assure you) assumptions.

To dispense with technical matters, priming only applies to centrifugal pumps. They aren't designed to pump air, and will "cavitate" (think of it as a kind of "choking") and eventually seize or break if the pressure of the fluid on their suction side isn't what it needs to be. So a supply of water (or whatever you're pumping) is ensured - in hydraulic engineering its called a "keep-filled" line - to maintain the "prime." However, pumps designed to transfer high-purity water can't handle the service demands of, say, a sump pump. They will encounter pressure voids in the proceess medium (think "chunks") and still cavitate.

In cartomancy, let's say we are humming along with a reading and all of our past knowledge and experience are clicking beautifully. Then, we encounter a combination of cards in the spread that is seriously disjointed and mutually antagonistic (again, think indigestible "chunks"); we begin to grasp frantically for coherent meaning (in technical terms, we begin "cavitating"). Our instinct is to keep piling up keywords until the sheer weight of the edifice makes it topple in a particular direction (i.e. toward a particular interpretation), and that's what we fill the void with - a preponderance of the more likely suspects.

I stop before getting to that point, flex my metaphorical myth-making muscles, and begin to invite in other allusive associations that may have nothing to do with the narrative of the reading up to that point (they might be historical, cultural, literary, artisitc, anecdotal, whatever wells up from my imagination). The role of intuition, once they're lined up for consideration, is to home in on the one that will entrain most seamlessly with the "story-line" of the reading so far, to present to the querent. This I use to create a "side-story," often in allegorical terms, that sort of meanders around the roadblock and comes at the difficulty from a different angle. It's really just a different method of attack, fueled by an inspired reimagining of the conflicted combination. The key is that intuition is applied as a tool in the middle of the procees to support a concrete answer (call it a hybrid if you want) at the end that is still stongly informed by the more literal interpretation.

ETA: "Priming" can also be used to start a gas engine, which may be a better analogy than a pump. You squirt some gas in the spark plug hole, replace the plug, and crank it up (or, if you have some aerosol starting fluid you spray it in the air intake, with the same result. So intuition, in this model, would be used to "jump-start" a stalled reading as in the above scenario. Because it strikes me as more of a "right-brain" phenomenon than the "conditioned" response induced by study and practice (even though that whole psychological paradigm has apparently been debunked), it is "ouside" the core of accumulated imtellectual knowledge about the meaning of the cards.

Lee

Moderator note:

The posts on giving advice during readings have been moved to a new thread.

Lee, Lenormand Co-Moderator

Teheuti

If intuition is 100% accurate as a couple of people here have stated, then, if something believed to be intuition is incorrect, and it was not, then it is not, by this definition, intuition. But we can only know this after the fact, when the knowledge is proved true or false. Until proven a person may continue to falsely think it is intuition.

So we need to assume that, using standard definitions of intuition, "knowledge or belief obtained neither by reason nor by perception" and "the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference" is always 100% accurate.

If such knowledge is proved incorrect, it is what? Ego? And it must be something other than knowledge obtained neither by reason nor by perception. By process of elimination, the ego must operate by reason or perception. Or is there some other thing that looks like intuition but is not really? If so, what is it called? There must be a name for this process other than ego (since ego is an aspect of self an not a cognitive process), but what is it commonly called?

intothemusic

Is it intuition, is it synchronicity, is it the astral plane, is it divine inspiration, is it the subconscious, is it the angelic realm, is it creative imagination, is it spirits from the "other side,"

I actually believe it's all of the above. I believe everyone is correct in a sense and it's about what level your are reading from.

- A reader can begin a reading with the intention of getting information from a "particular spirit."

- Another reader (or the same) can give a reading with the intention of connecting to the Angelic Realm.

It all depends on the intention.

- Another gives readings using their Higher Self (intuition). I believe the Higher Self is open to divine information from other dimensions. So if you or the clients guides/guidance gives you advice (or that gut feeling), your Higher Self will hear it... and one might say "well my intuition is telling me..." Anytime you sit yourself in front of a deck of cards and agree to read for someone, you are agreeing to be a channel for their guidance. (Whether the reader knows it or not.)

Then there's synchronicity or as some might say "coincidence." We can say the cards fell that way because it was synchronicity. My personal view is that synchronicity happens when the spiritual world is attempting to get a message across. Ex. A friend from 10 years ago calls you, and you were JUST thinking about her. Maybe the point is to show you that you should pay more attention and you have intuitive abilities? Or you're thinking of going on this date with a man you're no sure about. You get in the car and drive and you see a STOP sign. And it reminds you of him. Then you turn on the radio and you hear the lyrics "that man is no good. Would cheat if he could." :)

You can also be one of those "men suck and the world sucks" readers who projects all of your own disappointment onto your clients and the cards show just that.

And I do believe many outcomes are changeable and are based on what occurs in the astral plane- the plane that is reactive to intentions and thoughts on a subconscious and unconscious level. It's also the plane where "everyday magick" happens. If you project something-- fear, negativity, wishes, positivity, etc-- the energy will likely manifest into reality. So the result of our conscious and unconscious projection. I've done many readings where the client has a very negative state of mind, and the outcome was always negative. BUT with a simple shift of perception and choices, the outcome completely changes.

So again, I think everyone is correct. I think it is a matter of semantics and belief systems. But I'm pretty sure if we all found ourself on a plane with 100 other from all different walks of life, the people in this thread would probably have a lot more in common belief wise then the non-threaders!