Irked by deck bashing? All in a lighthearted vein...

AJ

Lark has a thread going that made me wonder...

Much of the deck bashing here is thoughtlessly phrased, bless our little black hearts, and sometimes the truth gets mythed over.

what comments do you see about decks that you disagree with?

here are two of mine.

I don't know how many times I've read the DruidCraft folks have ill-sized feet. I've never been able to see that.

Or that the minors of the Llewellyn are washed out. They look full of rich color to me.

I have a lot more :)

KariRoad

AJ said:
...sometimes the truth gets mythed over.
I often wonder why some people "myth" the point with Tarot de Marseille Convos. Side by side with a photo-reproduction of the Nicolas Conver deck printed in 1760 the Convos has every detail, and a charming modernity. Complaints as to the height (or width) myth the point that it is actually standard size for modern decks and not the 18th century pack.

Aeclectic: Tarot de Marseille Convos
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/convos-marseille/

Cat*

Honestly? I really couldn't care less if anyone...

...hates the very different art styles in the Greenwood's majors and minors,
...believes the Greenwood to be totally overrated,
...thinks the half-naked guy in the World Spirit's Ten of Pents seems like a child molester
...considers the World Spirit's Universe an ugly woman due to her size,
...calls the Druidcraft's people "hobbits" due their large feet,
...and finds Druidcraft altogether too large to shuffle,
...finds the Housewives Tarot superficial,
...thinks the Ironwing is way too crazy to read with,
...hates the Manara's style of depicting women,
...is convinced that erotic decks can only be used for relationship readings,
...finds the Fey's characters incredibly cheesy and too childlike,
...thinks that the Shining Tribe's art is awfully unprofessional,

...or hates anything else about a deck I personally happen to like.

Whenever I read such criticism of one of my favorite decks, I just shrug. Sometimes I feel mildly drawn to point out a blatant misconception (e.g. after 13 rounds of the RED exchange we can probably prove that erotic decks can indeed be used successfully for any sort of reading) but mostly I just don't bother.

Why should I care if other people think my taste in decks is wacky or assume I must be a superficial and non-serious reader due to the decks I like and choose to read with? If I can read successfully with what I pick and/or enjoy my decks in other ways, where's the issue? If a given tarot "in-crowd" looks down on me for taking the Manara or the Housewives seriously, or if anyone else thinks I must be nuts to have paid a lot of money for a Greenwood, what does that tell ME about THEM? It certainly does not tell me that they care about the quality of my readings or the way I treat the people I read for. It certainly DOES tell me, however, that they feel a need to appear superior to me, for whatever ego-/status-driven reasons. Well, are these the kinds of people whose judgments I should listen to because they have something valuable to teach? Probably not.

Likewise, I hardly ever feel drawn to state my opinion of decks I don't like, unless a) I'm specifically asked and feel qualified to do so (yes, for de-enabling purposes looking at six scans CAN be enough of a qualification, and yes, sometimes a vague memory of a deck still is a valuable opinion among others), b) I have the strong impression that someone needs to point out that even the most popular and/or the most "respectable" decks have their flaws (go on, ask me what I think of the Thoth or the Bohemian Gothic, both of which I own and have done readings with ;)).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: negative opinions of decks are IMPORTANT and sometimes crucial in my decision to BUY any given deck. Even superficial criticism can add useful information to my general assessment of a deck. If someone criticizes the artwork of a deck, I need to ask myself if that's something I care for (personally, I have problems with getting distracted by non-deliberately odd anatomies so that may render a deck unreadable to me). If someone criticizes a deck's underlying belief system, I need to find out if that's important information to me (do I want to read with a deck with strong Christian or Satanic undertones if I feel barely any connection to that spiritual system?). If someone criticizes the structure of a deck, is that something that would influence the usefulness of a deck for me (does learning a new system sound exciting to me?)? If the criticism is NOT RELEVANT to the way I use my deck and/or the aesthetic expectations I have of them, there's no need to even listen to it.

Forgive me if this outburst seems overly emotional or in the wrong place, but I just don't GET why deck criticism is such a big issue all of a sudden (not in this thread, which I realize is meant to be light-hearted, but generally on the forum these days)... :confused:

Moonbow

KariRoad said:
I often wonder why some people "myth" the point with Tarot de Marseille Convos. Side by side with a photo-reproduction of the Nicolas Conver deck printed in 1760 the Convos has every detail, and a charming modernity. Complaints as to the height (or width) myth the point that it is actually standard size for modern decks and not the 18th century pack.

Aeclectic: Tarot de Marseille Convos
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/convos-marseille/

Its not a myth that the Convos is squashed because they are, and its the one thing that has stopped me purchasing this deck over the years. It may be readable, its card size may be the same, all the details may be there, but there is no doubt that the images are squeezed into the card size. Its not the card size that is questioned, its the image size.

AJ

ah. well that went well.

I've heard the Haindl dissed over and over again for the eye on the back. But did any of those people ever read the book? In the epilogue there is nearly a whole page on that painting. Which endears both it and Hermann to me, for what he saw and what he endured, the like of which I hope I never know.

gregory

Amen to Cat for that :D

AJ said:
I've heard the Haindl dissed over and over again for the eye on the back. But did any of those people ever read the book? In the epilogue there is nearly a whole page on that painting. Which endears both it and Hermann to me, for what he saw and what he endured, the like of which I hope I never know.
Yes - I have read most of the book - including that bit. But - I know a lot of horrible things that have happened to a lot of people, and they have got it across by means of art. That doesn't make Hermann's eye any less scary.

Mind, I like it - but I like being scared. That's just me being warped.

Lela

Cat* said:
Forgive me if this outburst seems overly emotional or in the wrong place, but I just don't GET why deck criticism is such a big issue all of a sudden (not in this thread, which I realize is meant to be light-hearted, but generally on the forum these days)... :confused:

I couldn't agree with you more here Cat! All these threads concerning ' deck bashing' are getting old.

Personally, I could care less if others don't like or poke fun of decks I love. I know what I like, and to me it's all that matters. Besides, I love hearing others opinions, whether good or bad.

Miss Divine

Lela said:
Personally, I could care less if others don't like or poke fun of decks I love. I know what I like, and to me it's all that matters. Besides, I love hearing others opinions, whether good or bad.

What she said!

AJ

get a grip my friends.
This isn't about spewing back because our feelings have been hurt. I think we are all bigger better people than that.

All I'm asking is to name a complaint you've heard/read and tell us why you see it differently.

Since I'm now at risk of becoming one of those dreadful thread hostesses, I'm out of here.

prudence

AJ said:
Since I'm now at risk of becoming one of those dreadful thread hostesses, I'm out of here.
Oh, but you could never be more dreadful at it than me. :D Never.

I'd have to chime in with most of the dislike I see regarding the old decks, like TdMs.... they're not pretty, though I think some of them are...and they're too Christian... When I first came to this forum, I really hated those decks, and it confounded me how many people liked them exclusively....they were so old fashioned to my eyes, so steeped in a religion I was not keen on, so boring.

Now for whatever reason, they are my favorites (not that I can read with them worth a crap)... and when people say these kinds of things about them, I just smile, because I felt the very same way about them not too long ago.... and it's okay, it's all okay. It does not insult me.