Is it wrong to only use majors?

ManOfTheBox

I mean i just started out using tarot really and when i used only majors at first i got really great results, i always knew what each card meant, but now ive started adding in the court and minor cards i always feel dissillusioned with my readings, i feel like they dont apply to me at all. I was just wondering if anyone here ever felt the same way, but mabye im just not in tune with the whole deck yet i dunno. Any thoughts?

satinangel

It is not wrong at all to use only Majors...do what feels right for now...and maybe keep studying with the minors.

There's actually a really cool 2 card spread for Majors only

Reading with Majors only

ManOfTheBox

thanks alot for the thread really clarified some things for me.

HonestPuck

If using only the Majors works for you, then go for it!

Umbrae

There are places in the world where using 78 cards is just now becoming vogue.

For many years, 78 cards were reserved for gaming, and 22 for divination. In the UK & US, it’s been 78 cards since the previous turn of the century.

…just don’t let the Tarot Police catch you…

Kenny

I used to do Majors only reading and they worked for me, sometimes though they felt vauge. So no there is nothing wrong with using Majors only and one day I might go back to them for a while.

Alta

I enjoy doing the occasional majors only reading. If that works for you, just stick with it. As jmd commented, in parts of the world only the majors are ever used for reading.

raventepes

You know. After thinking about something Umbrae told me, I've really gotten into reading with majors only. There's a beauty to it, and it's simplistic, but VERY powerful.

Sinduction

I had this same problem. I will share what I did and hopefully it will help you too. But I may ramble along the way. So here goes.

My basic spread was a 4 card cross. In order to add the minors, I simply laid them between the majors on my cross. This way, I had a minor to tie my first and second major together, the second to the third and so on.

The most important thing for me was to remember that it was a challenge to read the majors when I first started. And that it was ok to have trouble adding in the minors too (that's 78 cards altogether!). Keep practicing and don't be afraid to lay your minors over the majors until you are stronger. Eventually you will get it. It may help to stay with a spread that really works for you.

I hope this works for you! Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
-Sin

Chronata

Every once in a while I will do majors only readings...if only to use some of the great Majors Only decks in my collection! :D

So nothing wrong with it...and I get a great read many times, because of the archetypal nature of the cards.

And you are right...They can be very clear. Especially good because I don't like doing readings for myself very often.