Is tarot a woman's domain?

telcontar

WolfSpirit said:
Maybe you should have a tarot pub, have some beer mats with images of tarot cards etc. to make tarot more attractive to men - and I would like it too, and I'm female.

I'd love that!! :D

Everything else I could say on the topic is already said, I'm afraid. Just a few days ago I had a discussion with a friend of mine who doesn't understand at all why a MAN could be messing with cards. But he doesn't understand why a man could do astrology, meditation, yoga or anything like that. Jogging, Iron-Man, pubs ( ;) ) are for men.

I think we are just not ALLOWED to do the Tarot. Not by women (apart from SongDeva, of course *g*) but by our fellow men.

And: I still consider it strange, why a lot of women cry for a sensitive men and then go around the corner to round up some blockheaded chauvinist. Maybe I should have a reading by a female reader once to understand ...

Shalott

LOL, I don't get it either. I'm a woman and nothing turns me off faster than idiotic macho behavior.

This is an interesting topic. There was a time when all things were man's domain. Things that nowdays are considered effeminate, like poetry, art, and Tarot. Yet, somehow, these "sensitive" things have now been labeled effeminate. And, like isthmus nekoi said, less rational.

Of course, this doesn't preclude men, but these stereotypes probably do make it more difficult for men to discover something like Tarot.

Angel Star

I think anyone who is truly interested in the tarot can learn it. I have bought alot of decks and my husband is drawn to the pictures of certain ones, but when it comes to truly sitting down and learning them he does not seem that interested. This is just him of course. I have had alot of men like a reading and are very interested in the tarot but from my experience to sit down and study the tarot and learn it seems to be a completely different story. Maybe they don't feel they have the time or again not gender downing but learning the hard stuff on the tarot seems to better left to us women. LOL! My cousin bought a deck and was really excited about it but when it came down to really getting into the deck he seemed to lose interest real fast. This is just what I have seen. I have also seen some women like readings but again seem to not want to go very deep into studying the tarot but are more open to trying to learn the deck and take sometime to do it. Maybe the 78 cards for some seems to be just too much to deal with. It is a committment to learn the tarot. Maybe its more of a question who is more committed?

TheLovers2

Am I still on the subject? I think I am.

Angel Star said:
I have had alot of men like a reading and are very interested in the tarot but from my experience to sit down and study the tarot and learn it seems to be a completely different story.

I believe there is certainly a difference between "a man wanting a Reading," and "a man doing a Reading." The latter is in the minority.

I think that men desire Readings because they are people and people are curious and want answers for their lives. Life can be confusing and tough and will make people step outside their comfort zones to seek answers - EVEN MEN. However, when it comes to purchasing, studying, Reading the Tarot -- that's another matter altogether. I really wish more men, ok, in particular, straight men, would get involved in Tarot. I say, "in particular, straight men," for the obvious reason . . . I am a straight woman. Ha. I think that guys can stand to benefit from what Tarot could provide them; it would certainly make them more interesting and add a whole new dimension to whatever they've already got working for them. In my opinion, they need to expand their horizons. Need I say more? :D

Ok, I will. Well, just this one other thing . . . I am never surprised when a gay man comes to Tarot . . . and that, too is for obvious reasons. Straight men need to get a clue . . . and women have been saying that forever, but, on AT I'm rather preaching to the choir, now, aren't I? The straight men on AT already know what I'm talking about and more than likely, so do the women in their lives. :) Hey, it's a good thing. How could it not be? :)

IMNSHO :)

"I'll get off my soapbox now," she said, jumping off of it.

TL2

Angel Star

Yes I can totally agree with you TL2 you are so right on! Yes it could really add some depth to straight men to learn from the tarot. MY husband does love to pull cards and then ask me what they mean sometimes he comes up with his own interpretation so he is not a total gonner to learning it i guess lol! Everyone IMNSHO learn the tarot, if you want to, it is worth it!

TheLovers2

Thank you Angel Star- tis totally worth it!!

Angel Star said:
Yes I can totally agree with you TL2 you are so right on! Yes it could really add some depth to straight men to learn from the tarot. MY husband does love to pull cards and then ask me what they mean sometimes he comes up with his own interpretation so he is not a total gonner to learning it i guess lol! Everyone IMNSHO learn the tarot, if you want to, it is worth it!

Posted 3:11 a.m. / Is there any wonder?

GO TAROT, GO TAROT, GO TAROT . . . Hey! What can I say? Tarot is soooo cooolll. Straight men! Can I get an Amen?? Let it not be said that it's a woman's domain -- this ship is sailing . . . who's on board? GO TAROT! :D

Ha.

TL2

Strange2

Re: Thank you Angel Star- tis totally worth it!!

TheLovers2 said:
Tarot is soooo cooolll. Straight men! Can I get an Amen?? Let it not be said that it's a woman's domain -- this ship is sailing . . . who's on board? GO TAROT!

Amen, TL2! I'm a (straight) man who is definitely on the Tarot ship for the neverending journey. And hey, my initials are G.O., so with me it's G.O. TAROT for sure!

SongDeva

For once and for all, people, Tarot is for girls.

Umbrae

SongDeva said:
Tarot is for girls.

I must wholeheartedly agree. ONLY women can be good, valid readers. Men need not apply.

I for myself am a lesbian trapped in a man’s body.

Runs away...ducks...roflmoa

diane drizzy

Tarot is universal! But ever notice that The Magician in most decks is always male? :D