Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell Cards

earthair

(Questing Knight is Knight Batons, BTW)

But Questing Knight sounds waaaaaay better :)

kwaw - I agree it's probably just printed wrong way around before they added the text at the bottom, but it does matter which way around things are in Roman Numerals. Otherwise how would anyone tell the difference between IV and VI ? :bugeyed:

IIX = ten minus two = 8!

Dodal is just wierd :D

kwaw

There are two different methods of Roman numeration, the order only matters in the subtractive method. In the additive, 12 can be either XII or IIX, 6 either IV or VI (four would be IIII).

gregory

The Hanged Man is numbered IIX (possibly a cutting error reversed it -- however reversed or not it is still 12 according to the additive method of Roman Numerals) in the Dodal. As already noted La Pances also suggests the Dodal as one of the models. The Hermit has half a rearing lion on it, apparently on a banner with writing on it, of which only the letter 'D' is shown. The Valet de Coupe also has a background scroll, vertical along the right hand side with the words *** MON DROIT (the visconti Motto?). There is a lot of writing along the left hand side of La Pances but can't make it out.
The Dodal is LOVELY, isn't it !

The Pances card says

Then sadly say with mutual pity moved,
O may we never love as these have lov'd.

on the left and

Devotion's self shall steal a thought from heaven
One human tear shall drop and be forgiv'n.

It's all from Pope - Eloise and Abelard. (I am a Nemo geek... :D)

There is also writing on the fool - the address of a publisher and some headers from a book (one word I can make out in caps is CAREFULLY !) We are told in the book that the cards were painted on the paper available;. I am guessing it was just a book of Pope's poetry that was used here :D

FLizarraga

The Pances card says

Then sadly say with mutual pity moved,
O may we never love as these have lov'd.

on the left and

Devotion's self shall steal a thought from heaven
One human tear shall drop and be forgiv'n.

It's all from Pope - Eloise and Abelard. (I am a Nemo geek... :D)

Thanks! I couldn't make out the words --too small for me.

There is also writing on the fool - the address of a publisher and some headers from a book (one word I can make out in caps is CAREFULLY !) We are told in the book that the cards were painted on the paper available;. I am guessing it was just a book of Pope's poetry that was used here :D

It would be so cool if they finished this deck --they obviously only bothered with the necessary cards-- and made a tie-in edition. I know I'd be all over it.

earthair

There are two different methods of Roman numeration, the order only matters in the subtractive method. In the additive, 12 can be either XII or IIX, 6 either IV or VI (four would be IIII). In the Dodal I think it is a cutting/reversal error, as the rest of the cards don't follow the additive method.

Methinks it's a little joke in the Dodal that when the card is reversed, the number is the correct way around? })

gregory

I think it's far more likely that Dodal simply used the non-additive system kwaw mentions. It was well accepted as an alternative at the time. The Dodal also uses IIII rather than IV, and VIIII rather than IX, XVIIII and so on - which is consistent with that.

kwaw

It's also reversed in the Chosson - IIX. And in that too the Emperor is IIII, the Hermit is VIIII, the Sun XVIIII, Temperance XIIII. Also on the Pierre Madenie, the Heri, the Tourcati, the Arnoux and Amphou...

gregory

Quite.

As an aside - hi kwaw - how have you been ??? :)

earthair

It's also reversed in the Chosson - IIX. And in that too the Emperor is IIII, the Hermit is VIIII, the Sun XVIIII, Temperance XIIII. Also on the Pierre Madenie, the Heri, the Tourcati, the Arnoux and Amphou...

So all these decks managed to put all the I II III IIII s in other numbers consistantly to the right hand side, and then in the one card where it's amusing to turn the person the 'right' way up, and have the number match, they suddenly put the IIs to the left??

It screams deliberate/humour. :cool2:
There are no accidents.

gregory

It's a perfectly reasonable way to put them round in the nonadditive system. I doubt if they even thought about it. There's probably a IIIIX temperance out there. (come to think, I think I HAVE seen a IIIX death....)